PDA

View Full Version : TRACKBALL HELP!!! (kinda ot..)

raptor517
08-18-2005, 05:34 AM
ok so because my sngs are down, im goin crazy thinking all this talk of trackballs and keyboard scripts.. maybe i need to try a trackball. ive been computer gaming since i was like 6, and have always used a mouse and keyboard, and never fathomed using a trackball. i like the precision my Mx510 offers me.

so anyways, i wanna know what the best trackball to get is, what everyone uses, whats the most comfortable, etc. pics and links would be nice too /images/graemlins/wink.gif dont really care how much i pay for it.. i figure its not gonna be more than 100 bucks, so whatever. just whats the best thing to get.. holla

Ryendal
08-18-2005, 05:43 AM
Well a track ball keep a track ball. I am retarded with this stuff ...

Newt_Buggs
08-18-2005, 06:12 AM
my mouse just broke, maybe I should invest in a trackball as well. I'm curious to hear other players' reports.

awr000
08-18-2005, 07:28 AM
This is the best trackball I've used...

Trackman Wheel (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2150,CONTENTID=5002)

lacky
08-18-2005, 07:28 AM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006B9CR/qid=1124364391/sr=8-3/ref=pd_bbs_3/102-9876603-8011318?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846

lacky
08-18-2005, 07:31 AM
IMO using your thumb sucks compared to using your fingertips to control the ball. I've tried both.

Steve

skipperbob
08-18-2005, 07:52 AM
Pretty sure it's just a matter of taste & what you're use to.....I used wired "thumb" trackball with scrollwheel at home...Wireless "fingertip" with side-mount scroll at work. Irie has wireless fingertip w/o scroll (sucks); but waycool chair

raptor517
08-18-2005, 07:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
IMO using your thumb sucks compared to using your fingertips to control the ball. I've tried both.

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

yea i remember using some old thumb one my mom had a LONG time ago.. didnt like it at all.. thats why im skeptical bout this finger one and trackballs in general, but whatever its not even a buyin.. ill gamble. holla

lacky
08-18-2005, 08:04 AM
irie will have the one i showed when you visit next.

raptor517
08-18-2005, 08:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

already ordered it, will be here in 2 days. holla

skipperbob
08-18-2005, 08:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool....I'm in charge @ the "DeathStar" from 4:00AM to Noon

raptor517
08-18-2005, 08:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool....I'm in charge @ the "DeathStar" from 4:00AM to Noon

[/ QUOTE ]

i might get my own chair like that and order 2 more monitors to have a true starship experience setup. bwahahahhahahaha. holla

fnord_too
08-18-2005, 09:04 AM
I'd try several out. I use a logitech marble mouse (which is a track ball, great naming there logitech) but I used to use Kensington. Now that Kensington has finally gone optical, I may go back.

Funny story: My dad buys me a Kensington track ball for Xmas, except he buys me a wireless one. Ok, I'll give it a try. A couple of months later I am 3 or 4 tabling the 15/30 game and am involved in hands on two tables with a playable hand on a third when the damn battery goes dead and I can't click on any of the buttons (and don't know any party keyboard shortcuts if they exist). Not fun, not fun at all. I figured that cost me a couple hundred bucks. Smart trackball, though, to pick the most inoportune time possible to go down.

wulfheir
08-18-2005, 09:05 AM
I'd never consider a trackball for gaming, I'm just too twitchy with a mouse to ever give it up. But for poker and drafting, I like trackballs. I have a microsoft that has the right/left buttons on the thumb, plus 2 additional buttons on the left side of the ball. I also have a logitech that is left or right handed, big ball in the middle, with 1 button either side. What sucks about that one is the lack of a mousewheel, but for poker i don't need it anyways.

fnord_too
08-18-2005, 09:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd never consider a trackball for gaming, I'm just too twitchy with a mouse to ever give it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never had a problem with using a trackball for gaming. I like not having to worry about running out of real estate or having cord issues.

lacky
08-18-2005, 01:13 PM
bit of advice, you can have the trackball and the regular mouse attached at the same time. Just chuck the regular mouse behind the monitor(s), then if you need to you can drag it out and get through the session.

Steve

fnord_too
08-18-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
bit of advice, you can have the trackball and the regular mouse attached at the same time. Just chuck the regular mouse behind the monitor(s), then if you need to you can drag it out and get through the session.

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

I just switched back to the wired mouse. Wish I had that advice a few months ago.

wulfheir
08-18-2005, 01:29 PM
I also switch back and forth on the fly, as required.

Slim Pickens
08-18-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is the best trackball I've used...

Trackman Wheel (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2150,CONTENTID=5002)

[/ QUOTE ]

...and I like it.

johnny005
08-18-2005, 02:06 PM
The best thing to use is an X-Box Controller with a nice little script. You need to get a usb convertor though.

Gramps
08-18-2005, 02:09 PM
I've been meaning to try out a trackball as well, so I went ahead and purchased this bad boy. On the way to checking out, you get the page where they show you what other stuff people who bought the trackball also got.

[ QUOTE ]
Customers who bought Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman (USB/PS/2) also bought these items from other categories:

Battlestar Galactica (2003 Miniseries)

The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King (Platinum Series Special Extended Edition)

Star Wars Trilogy (Widescreen Edition)

[/ QUOTE ]

Why am I not surprised....