PDA

View Full Version : HU Situation w/ Midpair

Tropex
08-18-2005, 04:51 AM
I came across this hand in a live tournament and I wasn't quite sure whether I should make the call generally. Now I think people here will go "aye sure do it always", but note that this is live game - I absolutely want to win and I don't have 100k hu situations to get positive with these in live games, so here goes:

Tournament final heads up situation. My read on the villain, he's a rather tight, but tricky player. I knew he pushed me around earlier in the tournament with total crap when he knew I was capable of folding midpair etc marginal holdings.

Blinds 150/300

Stacks are about even (Me:4200, Him:4800)
I raise from SB to 500 chips K/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif
He pushes it all-in. Now I'm fairly certain he has two low cards and about 90% certain I have the best hand with my KJo. Trusting these reads and "assuming" they're correct. Is it usually correct to make the call when being 60-40 favourite or is it better to let go and outplay this (obviously quite inexperienced HU player) on the later rounds ?

I did the call in this particular case and got whooped by the two low cards - it's only 60-40 anyway. Maybe after I play 100k tournaments, it'll go within those percentages but concentrating on one tournament alone, what do you think?

Tropex
08-18-2005, 07:00 AM
C'mon men!

Newt_Buggs
08-18-2005, 07:10 AM
Folding knowing that you are a 60-40 favorite HU AND that you alreadly have 500 chips invested would be terrible

Of course, your 60-40 read is bogus though, unless you are positive that he is pushing any two (I'm guessing that KJ is barely better than 60-40 against a random hand). What makes you think that he wouldn't reraise all in with A2, 55, KQ, etc? Anyway, if you think that he is aggressive and could be on a wide range you can still call here because of the pot odds.

Tropex
08-18-2005, 07:34 AM
I know this because he did it before and I really had pretty good read on him. Of course I could've been wrong and it would've pissed on my face, but in this case he showed 46s, a 4 flopped and GG. He also did stuff like showed his two cards to the spectators at which caused a lot of smiling earlier on - when I had in fact laid down the best hand (the midpair).

My title for the thread is misleading - it seems I was drifting away while typing it. The same guy bluffed me out of a pot when it was down to 3-handed when I had midpair top kicker (A8 on K8x board). I was quite sure he was just pushing me around since he had done that before with totally worthless crap. I also take credit in being pretty good at reading people overall in live games.. But my tournament strategy has some holes since I'm mostly a ring player.

So if I put the question other way around...

Both players show their cards, you hold KJo and he has 46s. Will you make the call automatically or wait for a better spot?

Ixnert
08-18-2005, 10:06 AM
Heads up with significant blinds, you can't pass up small edges unless (maybe even if) you really know you're far better than your opponent. You just don't have time. So yes, if he pushes and turns over 64s to your KJo, you call, quickly.

And in answer to your original question, if you think he's pushing any two (and no, you really DON'T know that he has two undercards -- at the very least, if he's the least bit smart, if he's pushing trash he'll sometimes play his monsters the same way hoping to catch you), KJo is a moderate favorite to two random cards, and there's already 500 chips in the pot, so yes, you call here.

tigerite
08-18-2005, 10:08 AM
How is KJo a "mid pair"? I must be missing something.

Tropex
08-19-2005, 03:26 AM
Yea I explained it in some of my followup posts, I had a distortion in my brainwave pattern when writing the title of the post, but there was a similar situation when I held A8 on K83 board and the same guy pushed it - that time i was quite sure i held the best hand but didn't wanna get bubbled - anyway, that was probably what i was originally going to write about /images/graemlins/smile.gif