PDA

View Full Version : kidney stones

chuddo
08-18-2005, 04:40 AM
the past two days i have had a weird dull ache in my lower back/kidneys.

i was worried it was going to be a kidney stone, but thankfully that worry is turning out to be unfounded.

the reason was because so far in my life i have had to deal with that living death already twice before in my life despite being only 23.

the pain from it made being shot/stabbed feel like a mere bee sting.

anyone else had the misfortune of going through this miserable experience?

for me the pain of it coming out of my johnson was nothing compared to how it felt traveling through the ureter from the kidney to the bladder. in fact expelling it finally was a giant relief.

mlh2e
08-18-2005, 09:37 AM
I have had 2 kidney stones, and an episode of what the Dr. called "kidney sludge."

Holy crap they suck. The first one started it's painful commute from my kidney in the middle of a chemistry final (I was 17). The teacher thought I was faking until I started swearing at the top of my lungs at him and vomited all over the floor.

I was a huge milk drinker at the time and was told to cut back, so I did. Only I substituted iced tea as my drink of choice and had 3-4 cans a day. Little did I know that tea is actually worse for kidney stones than milk.

The last stone I had was when I was 22. I am 26 now. By Doctors orders, I drink one beer a day to keep my kidneys flushed.

And yes, the pain from the final exit is nothing compared to the inner travels.

Did you keep your stones? I kept my first one. It looked nothing like I thought it would. It looks like the ball on the end of a mace.

New001
08-18-2005, 11:34 AM
Yes, a kidney stone is certainly the worst pain I've ever been through, and I hope I never have to do it again. Thankfully, I never felt it come out all the way, but I can't imagine it would hurt anywhere near what it hurt inside. It hurt badly enough that I was on the floor throwing up in my friend's bathroom before going to the hospital, and I had no idea what it was.

I was 18 at the time.

DrSavage
08-18-2005, 11:41 AM
I have pretty bad kidneys which are constantly forming new stones /images/graemlins/frown.gif . I've had two surgeries already. It really can be unbearable.

djj6835
08-18-2005, 11:49 AM
Yes, and I got them while backpacking out in the middle of Montana. I didn't get to a hospital until a day later.

DarkForceRising
08-19-2005, 12:46 AM
Late last year someone did a poll asking whether one would prefer to drink one ounce of semen or pass a kidney stone.

Some bad ass dudes (straight, I am assuming) said, "I'll take the semen".

Glad I drink enough beer to keep the kidneys flushed.

newfant
08-19-2005, 01:07 AM
This thread is causing me actual, physical pain while reading it even though I have never had a kidney stone. It sounds like hell.

Does alcohol really flush the kidneys? It seems like it would just make you dehydrated and make you more likely to have kidney stones. Then again, I'm falling-down drunk a good portion of the time and have never had any stones, kidney or otherwise.

JoshuaD
08-19-2005, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Did you keep your stones? I kept my first one. It looked nothing like I thought it would. It looks like the ball on the end of a mace.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's about what I imagined. Got pictures?

imported_anacardo
08-19-2005, 01:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Late last year someone did a poll asking whether one would prefer to drink one ounce of semen or pass a kidney stone.

Some bad ass dudes (straight, I am assuming) said, "I'll take the semen".

Glad I drink enough beer to keep the kidneys flushed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Semen. It's not even close.

And I like poontang a lot.

chuddo
08-19-2005, 01:20 AM
magnified 40x.

http://www.lazydragon.com/images/skull-mace-head-2609.jpg

handsome
08-19-2005, 02:00 AM
I got my first and only kidney stone on my 19th birthday. Woke up with a horrendous "back" ache, which I thought was from my mattress, and threw up for 15 minutes. Waited at campus health services for 2 hours, when they then diagnosed that it was a kidney stone, sent me off to the hospital where I waited another 4 hours just to be sent home with a prescription for vicodin.

In the three weeks it took to pass it, I was throwing up every other meal and felt like I was constantly being kicked in the balls.

New001
08-19-2005, 02:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Semen. It's not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]
Quoted because it's true. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Kirg
08-19-2005, 02:37 AM
I got my first kidney stone when I was 15. My second at 17. Third at 19. After that they came yearly. Right now I'm 26 and I get them every 2 or 3 months.

One thing about them coming so often is that they tend to not be huge and the pain is bearable, or maybe I've just gotten used to them. I've been amazed by the capability of the human body to adapt since my pain-level tolerance has gone higher and higher over the years. I probably come over as trying to be a tough guy saying that but it's true. Don't get me wrong, it hurts but I'm not rolling around on the floor screaming anymore, now it's more of a "oh god, here we go again" and go lay on my bed for a while type thing or sitting at my computer doing anything to phase out the pain (Thank you OOT for having done this several times /images/graemlins/grin.gif) . Except for the occasional kidney-crisis', these are at the level of "walking pain", you know, when you just have to walk and move and can't stop cause then it feels worse. Luckily I have serious supposotory painkillers (trust me, sticking something up your pooper is the least of your worries when your kidney is spasming harder then an epileptic on crack) for these times. (Altough now that I'm in Canada and since they don't have them here I'm pretty much screwed when I run out unless I hop back over to Belgium to pick up a new perscription there)

The really bad thing is that the amount of them has made me incapable of doing certain things. Whenever I walk uphill my kidneys will hurt, same when I go for long walks. Heavy lifting is also a big no-no, basically because of the damage from all those stones.

Another thing I have found is every time I have flown over the atlantic I will get a stone the same day or the day after I land. I'm guessing the vibrations on takeoff/landing shake them loose. (I'm dead-serious)

What's also funny is whenever I tell people about this, almost everyone comes up with their own remedy they have heard from their great aunt or whatever. Drink a glass of oil that will make it smoother to come out. Drink a glass that's half olive-oil and half lemon-juice and it will help and countless others. I used to try them (when it hurts that bad, you'll try anything), none of them helped, of course when I told the advice-givers this I'd get a "You probably did it wrong look."

Then again, my grandmother had gallstones. Kidneystones are a piece of cake compared to those.

08-19-2005, 02:41 AM
Only this

http://www.stv.org/adam/encyclopedia/ency/article/000464.htm

Anyone else?

imported_anacardo
08-19-2005, 02:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I got my first kidney stone when I was 15. My second at 17. Third at 19. After that they came yearly. Right now I'm 26 and I get them every 2 or 3 months.

One thing about them coming so often is that they tend to not be huge and the pain is bearable, or maybe I've just gotten used to them. I've been amazed by the capability of the human body to adapt since my pain-level tolerance has gone higher and higher over the years. I probably come over as trying to be a tough guy saying that but it's true. Don't get me wrong, it hurts but I'm not rolling around on the floor screaming anymore, now it's more of a "oh god, here we go again" and go lay on my bed for a while type thing or sitting at my computer doing anything to phase out the pain (Thank you OOT for having done this several times /images/graemlins/grin.gif) . Except for the occasional kidney-crisis', these are at the level of "walking pain", you know, when you just have to walk and move and can't stop cause then it feels worse. Luckily I have serious supposotory painkillers (trust me, sticking something up your pooper is the least of your worries when your kidney is spasming harder then an epileptic on crack) for these times. (Altough now that I'm in Canada and since they don't have them here I'm pretty much screwed when I run out unless I hop back over to Belgium to pick up a new perscription there)

The really bad thing is that the amount of them has made me incapable of doing certain things. Whenever I walk uphill my kidneys will hurt, same when I go for long walks. Heavy lifting is also a big no-no, basically because of the damage from all those stones.

Another thing I have found is every time I have flown over the atlantic I will get a stone the same day or the day after I land. I'm guessing the vibrations on takeoff/landing shake them loose. (I'm dead-serious)

What's also funny is whenever I tell people about this, almost everyone comes up with their own remedy they have heard from their great aunt or whatever. Drink a glass of oil that will make it smoother to come out. Drink a glass that's half olive-oil and half lemon-juice and it will help and countless others. I used to try them (when it hurts that bad, you'll try anything), none of them helped, of course when I told the advice-givers this I'd get a "You probably did it wrong look."

Then again, my grandmother had gallstones. Kidneystones are a piece of cake compared to those.

[/ QUOTE ]

Find a fresh donor and cut those [censored] traitors out of your body, dog.