PDA

View Full Version : Obsession with optimal play keeps me from playing lots of hands

KSOT
08-18-2005, 03:59 AM
I've been playing limit ring games online for about 6 months and have only logged 40,000 hands. I'd like to one day play for a legitimate source of income, be it primary or secondary, but I don't see how that's possible playing so few hands.

As the topic title says, my problem stems from my desire to obtain the highest winrate possible for myself, which means I'm very fearful about playing when I'm not "fresh." For this reason, I usually quit every session after around 100 hands, no matter how good or bad I did, and I usually only play one or two sessions a day, 2 tables max unless I'm at a lower limit for kicks or to blow off steam.

Did/does anyone else have this problem? Should I stop being so results oriented and force myself to grind out longer sessions at the cost of a worsened hourly rate? I'm thinking maybe it'd help me build the endurance I'd need to play optimally for longer periods of time.

08-18-2005, 04:40 AM
Play an hour, sit out one or two rounds and then get back to the game. If you spend the time in that short break well you should be able to get back and keep your focus.
Take a sandwich, a shower and get something to drink. Or maby just lay down and close your eyes for a few minutes (try meditation)..

Just some ideas..

Sniper
08-18-2005, 08:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been playing limit ring games online for about 6 months and have only logged 40,000 hands. I'd like to one day play for a legitimate source of income, be it primary or secondary, but I don't see how that's possible playing so few hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to put this into perspective, playing 10,000 hands per month, puts you well into the top 1% of players ranked by hands played per month.

08-18-2005, 09:18 AM
Are you sure? 300 hands a day is not that much considering all ppl that multi table?

Bodhi
08-18-2005, 11:55 AM
That's fine, just please do not "sit out" during these breaks, but find another table when you return.

WhiteWolf
08-18-2005, 03:46 PM
If your goal is to make poker your primary source of income, you will absolutely need to learn how to grind out long sessions, day after day. I'm sure that this can get to be quite taxing.

However, if you're fine with making poker an enjoyable hobby that is also profitable, I'd just stick with what you are doing now... it seems to be working fine.

Sniper
08-19-2005, 04:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you sure? 300 hands a day is not that much considering all ppl that multi table?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't let your view from these forums distort your vision of reality... the vast majority of online poker players are not multitabling or putting in very much time.

Marlow
08-19-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

As the topic title says, my problem stems from my desire to obtain the highest winrate possible for myself, which means I'm very fearful about playing when I'm not "fresh." For this reason, I usually quit every session after around 100 hands, no matter how good or bad I did, and I usually only play one or two sessions a day, 2 tables max unless I'm at a lower limit for kicks or to blow off steam.

Did/does anyone else have this problem? Should I stop being so results oriented and force myself to grind out longer sessions at the cost of a worsened hourly rate? I'm thinking maybe it'd help me build the endurance I'd need to play optimally for longer periods of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you really want to get better, only play 1 table, play within your bankroll, but play at stakes that matter to you. Pay attention. Go over your results. You will likely get better this way.

It also sounds to me like you are scared of the money. Scared to win, scared to lose. Play at your one table until you aren't worrying about the money. Then move up. Repeat.

Edit: Actually, I forgot that you want to go pro. I think that if you are thinking about results and are afraid of the money, then you aren't ready anyway. This is a huge leak that can take a long time to fix (I should know, I was terrified at first...).

Marlow