PDA

View Full Version : Slow play of a flopped nut boat

08-18-2005, 01:18 AM
PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha High, $0.25 BB (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP2 ($23.25)
CO ($55.45)
Hero ($20.90)
SB ($13.05)
BB ($20.75)
UTG ($20.75)
UTG+1 ($17.65)
MP1 ($9.20)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls $0.25, Hero calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $0.75</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50.

Flop: ($2.50) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $1</font>, Hero calls $1, SB folds.

Turn: ($4.50) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets $1</font>, Hero calls $1.

River: ($6.50) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets $1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $9.2</font>, CO calls $8.20.

Final Pot: $24.90

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero shows [2d Js 2c Jc] (a full house, Jacks full of Eights)
CO mucks [Td 8c As Ah]

Outcome: Hero wins $24.90. </font>

I figure CO has at best 4 outs so I can afford to slow play (either that or I have 1 and so all the more reason to slow play). The main question I'm asking is, am i asking for disaster if an an A,K,Q, or 8 hits? (well not so much the 8 i guess) and would you have raised him on the turn or flop?

08-18-2005, 02:01 AM
Too late to edit my previous post so:

Would your play be any different if this was a higher limit table?

LA_Price
08-18-2005, 02:32 AM
You are right that whether you should slowplay should depend on your table conditions. This is a lower limit table so you should probably assume your opponents play badly. Can they make big laydowns? probably not. I think you should play it fast and try to build a big pot. Yes you wouldn't like it if your opponent folded because he's drawing to one out with an 8 but think also what a profitable situation you're in and try to extract as much as possible. People complain that people always run down their sets in omaha. Well here's a situation where it's practically impossible and you can use his calling station tendacies to win a large pot. So raise pot on flop, bet pot and turn, and bet pot and river.

Against a tight opponent then calling might be best.

jhall23
08-18-2005, 09:24 AM
No question you can probably afford to slowplay this and not get drawn out on. The problem with slowplaying this all the way to the river is that you have made it very hard to get your stack in the middle. In a pot-limit game your bets are key to maniuplate the pot size. Take advantage of the low limit guys that call to much. Depending on the player involved but I would raise either the flop or turn here. Most likely I would pot raise the flop here. You most likely won't loose 8xxx where one or more x is a broadway. Then if checked to on the turn bet about 1/2-3/4 pot, whatever will make it possible to push the rest in on the river.

wickss
08-18-2005, 09:33 AM
A medium size raise on the turn would be appropiate. That way you can bet more on the river. I personally don't like slowplaying to the river. I like to have some chip go into the pot on the turn even if it is a "call me" bet

On a higher limit table you might raise on the turn and bet the river but with smaller bets. You wouldn't want to appear too confident about you hand.

Wickss

josie_wales
08-18-2005, 10:17 AM
I personally would not slow play this. He is essentially only calling if he as an 8, and overpair or is a donkey.

In all those situations, he would have called more.

By betting $2 on the flop followed by $4-5 on the turn, youi buuild the pot to $15.50 by the river as opposed to $6.50, thereby making yourself 36BB more.

jw

FlyingSumo
08-18-2005, 07:54 PM
Only reason for slowplaying this pot must be facing a maniac that bets too much, but folds properly to opposition.

Against regular players, betting big will get your stack in against hands like AK8x, J8xx, T9xx filling the str8 on turn. and some other random hands from maniacs. Some ppl will also call you down with AAxx.

Only hand I would think bout slowplaying on this board is probably 88xx.

Acesover8s
08-18-2005, 11:34 PM
The #1 problem with slowplaying on boards like this is that trip 8s (particularly with good kickers, ex: AKQ8) may put in a lot of action on the flop, but they won't put in action on the river if they fill up.

Bet your hand.

The Truth
08-19-2005, 04:06 PM
You lost money, you should have stacked him. Raise the flop.