PDA

View Full Version : How fishy am I?

RiverMel
03-31-2003, 05:04 PM
First of all, what is that Post Icon supposed to be? A golden braid of some sort? I can figure out all of the other ones, but not this one.

OK, please help me with this hand from a loose passive 3/6 HE game.

I'm in the cutoff with 8/forums/images/icons/club.gif6/forums/images/icons/club.gif

2 EP and 2 MP limp. I limp. Button raises, SB calls BB folds, called around.

Flop is 9/forums/images/icons/club.gifQ/forums/images/icons/club.gifK/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

I figure this looks pretty good for me. There could be lots of hands that connect, don't get better, and lose to my draw, or hands that hit later and still lose to my draw.

Checked to me, I bet. (Value betting draw. Is this dumb when your draw isn't close to the nuts?)

Button calls, all but small blind and one of the MP limpers call.

5 to the turn.

Turn is: 9/forums/images/icons/club.gifQ/forums/images/icons/club.gifK/forums/images/icons/diamond.gifT/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif.

Ok, I like this card a decent amount (makes straights who will call me at the river), but I don't really want to get check-raised or even plain raised by the button, so I check. Button checks, river:

9/forums/images/icons/club.gifQ/forums/images/icons/club.gifK/forums/images/icons/diamond.gifT/forums/images/icons/diamond.gifA/forums/images/icons/club.gif

I love this card and figure there's a huge chance I'm holding the winner. If there was another flush holder, he could only really have K/forums/images/icons/club.gifx/forums/images/icons/club.gif and beat me. (Any suited connecting clubs were lower than me due to cards out, and of course no one had A/forums/images/icons/club.gifx/forums/images/icons/club.gif).

Check to me, I bet, I get 2 callers, and win the 12.5 big bet pot. (Callers had A/forums/images/icons/diamond.gifJ/forums/images/icons/spade.gif for a straight and T/forums/images/icons/heart.gifT/forums/images/icons/spade.gif for trips)

Homer
03-31-2003, 05:17 PM
It's kind of funny that a set and the nut straight both checked the turn. Anyhoo...

Preflop: Good limp

Flop: While reading, I was thinking to myself, "Please don't bet into the preflop raisor and let him clear the field". It's fine to value bet/raise your draws, but it isn't going to work most of the time when you bet into the PFR. Most of the time you will be raised and end up heads-up. It is much preferable to check and let the PFR bet, then raise after all the players in between call.

Turn: Good check

River: Good

-- Homer

J.R.
03-31-2003, 05:30 PM
Beware betting into the PFR on the flop, you could find yourself out of position and headsup or shorthanded more often than you like. Otherwise, well played.

By the way, this:

loose passive 3/6 HE game

and this

If there was another flush holder, he could only really have Kx and beat me.

don't necessarily mesh as well as you might like, but you played the hand well.

elysium
03-31-2003, 06:14 PM
hi river
you must bet the turn here. it's unlikely you'll get raised and youre getting correct odds. this is a bet you definately must make. it's a value bet, but who knows you may pick it up here. often, when we pick it up in this situation, we forget about it. we only seem to remember the times we bet and miss. but it's a mistake to check it along here. also, this gives you opportunities on the river that you may not have otherwise.

RiverMel
03-31-2003, 06:20 PM
Would you have bet on the flop contrary to the other responses' advice, or are you saying only that given what happened on the flop you would bet it?

cferejohn
03-31-2003, 06:38 PM
I would think there's a pretty reasonable chance of getting raised here, actually, given that the turn card was very likely to have helped someone.

sucka
03-31-2003, 06:44 PM
Would you have bet on the flop contrary to the other responses' advice, or are you saying only that given what happened on the flop you would bet it?

He has no idea what he's talking about. This guy has 200+ posts and not one detailing a hand HE'S been in.

Wingnut
03-31-2003, 06:49 PM
"I love this card and figure there's a huge chance I'm holding the winner. If there was another flush holder, he could only really have K /forums/images/icons/club.gif x /forums/images/icons/club.gif and beat me. (Any suited connecting clubs were lower than me due to cards out, and of course no one had A /forums/images/icons/club.gif x /forums/images/icons/club.gif )."

Button could've just as easily had J /forums/images/icons/club.gif T /forums/images/icons/club.gif and played it the same way (if he's weak-passive enough to check the turn with a made hand - you never mentioned which two players called). Even having said that, the bet on the river was still good.