PDA

View Full Version : still freezing up when 8-tabling

vabogee
08-18-2005, 12:25 AM
i posted a week or two ago about how my computer was freezing up during an 8-table session almost every time. i play STTs, so this is obviously a huge problem. i can't imagine i have a hardware deficiency...specs:

radeon x800 512MB VRAM (dual DVI)
P4 2.8GHz
1GB RAM
2 Dell 2001FPs

i'll be able to play for about a half hour, then it totally freezes up on me, and i have to wait a good few minutes before the tables pop back up (this usually involves minimizing them all first [for some reason that works].).

this happens even if i have absolutely no other software running. i've run virus, spyware, and other diagnostics, and defragged the HD. Anyone have any suggestions at all? i'm at my wit's end.

thanks a lot

fluorescenthippo
08-18-2005, 06:32 AM
wireless internet? i had a similar problem on a crappy laptop with a crappy wireless card.

vabogee
08-18-2005, 07:31 AM
nope. i'm hardwired right into that bitch.

Crispy86
08-18-2005, 09:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i posted a week or two ago about how my computer was freezing up during an 8-table session almost every time. i play STTs, so this is obviously a huge problem. i can't imagine i have a hardware deficiency...specs:

radeon x800 512MB VRAM (dual DVI)
P4 2.8GHz
1GB RAM
2 Dell 2001FPs

i'll be able to play for about a half hour, then it totally freezes up on me, and i have to wait a good few minutes before the tables pop back up (this usually involves minimizing them all first [for some reason that works].).

this happens even if i have absolutely no other software running. i've run virus, spyware, and other diagnostics, and defragged the HD. Anyone have any suggestions at all? i'm at my wit's end.

thanks a lot

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember suggesting it was due to the HD running like crazy as it read from PT to update the stats on your tables. It really is extremely like to be the problem, unless you've tried shutting down PT and found the problem to persist. If it's a PT issue, I can only think of two possible solutions

- Make sure you've upgraded the database to the new and faster Postgresql format. Both PokerAce and Gametime+ support it BTW, though you'll need to do some tinkering in both PT and the overlay program to be sure it is using it, otherwise it may still be accessing the older base.

- Try asking for assistance at the PT forums, since they will undoubtedly have more ideas.

Albert

vabogee
08-18-2005, 09:45 AM
yeah, hey albert. that was me. i took your advice and tried playing all of my sngs with out PT running (without ANYTHING running, not even firewall), and still, same problem (although it took more time to freeze). ARRGH!

and thanks again for the advice.

Crispy86
08-18-2005, 10:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah, hey albert. that was me. i took your advice and tried playing all of my sngs with out PT running (without ANYTHING running, not even firewall), and still, same problem (although it took more time to freeze). ARRGH!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, in that case, the words 'Memory Leak' are pretty much screaming here. The issue is what program is causing the memory leak. There aren't 20 ways about this, so my suggestion is this:

When you start the multi-tabling, and already have them at least on-screen, when the computer starts to become sluggish and unresponsive, before it freezes, start up Windows Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del or right-click on the taskbar at the bottom, and select Task Manager). At the top, go to the second tab 'Processes' and see what is hogging the most memory. I'd be certain I had the latest video drivers installed BTW.

Albert

vabogee
08-18-2005, 12:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

good call. i'll report back tonight when i try that.

Ok, in that case, the words 'Memory Leak' are pretty much screaming here. The issue is what program is causing the memory leak. There aren't 20 ways about this, so my suggestion is this:

When you start the multi-tabling, and already have them at least on-screen, when the computer starts to become sluggish and unresponsive, before it freezes, start up Windows Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del or right-click on the taskbar at the bottom, and select Task Manager). At the top, go to the second tab 'Processes' and see what is hogging the most memory. I'd be certain I had the latest video drivers installed BTW.

Albert

[/ QUOTE ]

Wake up CALL
08-18-2005, 02:19 PM
I agree with your suggestion Albert. It might also help to go to downloads.com and find a simple Ram-Free program. These are plentiful and many are free. I use one on my home PC and it alleviates the memory leakage problem suggested by Albert.

MyMindIsGoing
08-18-2005, 03:13 PM
What OS are you running?

Wake up CALL
08-18-2005, 04:37 PM
Windows XP Pro

illunious
08-18-2005, 04:52 PM
Pretty unlikely, but do you use modified .wav files for the party skins? I was having the same problem, caused by this.

vabogee
08-18-2005, 08:35 PM
I'm running XP Home, i don't have modified wavs, and i'd love to know what utilities you think i should try to help out with my ram. thanks for the responses guys.

EDIT: would this prog be FreeRamXP? what does this do?

Wake up CALL
08-19-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm running XP Home, i don't have modified wavs, and i'd love to know what utilities you think i should try to help out with my ram. thanks for the responses guys.

EDIT: would this prog be FreeRamXP? what does this do?

[/ QUOTE ]

HERE (http://utility.downloadatoz.com/casper-ram-cleaner/) is a good one.

Or here (http://utility.downloadatoz.com/casper-ram-cleaner/)

This one is freeware (http://www.download.com/RAM-Idle-LE/3000-2086_4-10277942.html?tag=lst-0-1)

I use this one (http://www.download.com/Clean-Ram/3000-2086_4-10402437.html?tag=lst-0-10) on my home PC.

vabogee
08-19-2005, 11:54 PM
great! thanks man. i'll give it a go.

BTW, what do these programs do exactly? eliminate RAM information that isn't being used anymore? would it be a good idea for me to just plunk down another $150 for a second 1GB ram chip?

thx again,
vab

08-20-2005, 05:00 AM
I disagree with the use of any Ram freeing software but you can try it. Vabogee, when you are running your tables, how many processes are running in Task Manager ? I agree with Albert but I would say report back to us on # of processes. You really should only need about 35 total processes running and if it is much more than that, I would check out everything that is running that doesn't need to be. I would first check to see if you can shut the service down to eliminate some of the processes that are useless. If that doesn't work, you can use Hijack This and then delete the run entries that don't have any reason to be running. YOu should be very cautious when doing this, though. Don't want to mess up your computer. I've never messed up mine, though.

08-21-2005, 12:26 AM
Hi....I still freeze up when I 8 table, but not when I 4 table. I have a Dell Dimension 9100 with 3.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 160 GB hard drive and a 256mb GeForce 6800 with two Dell 2001fp monitors.

I purchased this computer less that a month ago and havent been able to 8 table with it. I dont have poker tracker or any other monster software installed, just the basics that came with the computer.

I checked the processes and you say that you should have no more than 35 running, I have 56 running. How do I know which ones to eliminate?

I assume this is the reason I cant 8 table, but how do I know what processes I do and dont need and what ones to get rid of?

I appreciate your help.

Lisa

08-27-2005, 06:33 AM
Hi there

I know that it has been over a week since you posted this question Vabogee, but are you still having a problem?

This is my first time posting, but since I have read alot on this forum I figured maybe I should try to start helping out and post from time to time.

If you are sill having this problem let me know since I had a problem freezing the past month or so after I first set-up my dual monitors so I could 8 table.

It was so aggravating as I tried everything and listened to everybody and couldnt get it resolved. I even upgraded my brand new computer by increasing my RAM from 1GB to 2GB to see if that would help and it didnt. I was told it wouldnt and that it was a waste of money and it was a waste of $200, but I was out of options and totally frustrated so I tried anything.

Now that I have solved the problem and it has worked for the past week or so, it is a great relief so I know how you must feel.

I didnt mean to ramble, but if you still have the problem let me know. I dont know if my problem is the same as what yours was/is, but its worth trying anything.

TC

MyMindIsGoing
08-27-2005, 07:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I even upgraded my brand new computer by increasing my RAM from 1GB to 2GB to see if that would help and it didnt. I was told it wouldnt and that it was a waste of money and it was a waste of $200, but I was out of options and totally frustrated so I tried anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is what I always said about 1gb vs 2gb.

[ QUOTE ]
Now that I have solved the problem and it has worked for the past week or so, it is a great relief so I know how you must feel.

[/ QUOTE ]

How did you solve the problem? A little guide might stop all posts asking the same thing.

vabogee
08-27-2005, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How did you solve it? I eliminated some stray startup apps (as suggested) and that helped a lot, but it's not 100%. Thanks in advance for the help. Much appreciated.

vab

08-27-2005, 09:06 PM
I wasnt thinking, I shouldve just explained what I finally did. Sorry.

I doubt this is the problem for most of you that are freezing up while 8 tabling, but since alot of you are like me and purchased a new computer mainly to 8 table, maybe my solution can help a few of you.

My Dell computer came with a free McAfee service for 3 months. McAfee is fine although I usually use CA for my security. I spent $300 and a month trying to stop my computer from freezing up while 8 tabling and all for nothing.

All that I had to do was uninstall McAfee's Privacy Service. I still have their VirusScan, but by simply uninstalling their Privacy Service it fixed my problem.

I doubt this will help most of you that are freezing up, but if it helps just one person that will be great.

I mean one month of trying everything, such as, buying more memory, disabling some of my processes, installing ram idle and things like that, reinstalling my OS, paying $100 for the Dell Help Desk, etc.

It was a totally frustrating experience that cost me a month of my time and several hundred dollars to try to fix. All along it was something so simple as uninstalling the free McAfee Privacy Service.

MyMindIsGoing you are correct and I wasnt thinking. I shouldve just included this in my original post. To anyone that was waiting for an answer, my apologies. Hopefully, this will help someone.

Best of luck

TC

LethalRose
08-31-2005, 03:07 AM
Perhaps your video card is overheating.