PDA

View Full Version : Strategy Question (the dating problem)

paulish
08-17-2005, 10:17 PM
The Dating problem

Assumptions:
You are straight.
You have never seen a girl before.
You have the option of dating 100 girls.
Your goal is to marry THE BEST. You don’t care for second best. And you see no value in sleeping with a lot of women.
You can only date one girl at a time, and when you move on, you can never go back.

<font color="red"> Q </font> What strategy optimizes your chances of ending up with THE BEST girl? And what would you say you’re chances are of finding this #1girl in the sample?

I know, some of those these assumptions about YOU, are probably quite unrealistic. And I know there are a lot of wise a** answers here. But there is a mathematical answer as well.

What would you do?

Matt Williams
08-17-2005, 10:19 PM
I'd whip it out and whichever girl came up to me and let me SIIHP would win. Simple.

fnord_too
08-17-2005, 10:21 PM
Date the first 1/e, then take the first girl better than the best in that bunch. (This should be in the probability forum.)

OtisTheMarsupial
08-17-2005, 11:08 PM
No, there is not a mathematical answer. It's not a mathematical question.

Jimbo
08-17-2005, 11:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What strategy optimizes your chances of ending up with THE BEST girl? And what would you say you’re chances are of finding this #1girl in the sample?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pick one girl at random and marry her. Having no other reference before you will have chosen the best girl.

touchfaith
08-17-2005, 11:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

manpower
08-18-2005, 01:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If you assume our hero would be able to appropriately determine the 'best' girl, were he free from the constraints posed in the question, it quickly becomes a mathematical problem.

pryor15
08-18-2005, 02:08 AM
The answer is clearly to use the Elimidate method and go from there.

cdxx
08-18-2005, 02:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

You are straight.
And you see no value in sleeping with a lot of women.

[/ QUOTE ]

contradictions in your assumptions. vacuously true.

MrMon
08-18-2005, 01:21 PM
You are making the assumption that guys get to choose. They don't. The women make the choice. Therefore, the first one who accepts you that you find acceptable, you choose. And note that as you move through the 100, what you consider acceptable is likely to change. I believe this is game theory.

Moving through the whole 100 and not finding an acceptable choice will result in extreme bitterness and disappointment. Maintaining low standards will result in losing your bankroll to lawyers.

Choose wisely.

BusterStacks
08-18-2005, 01:24 PM
Alright, listen to me. You pull up right where she lives, right? Before you get outta the car, you lock both doors. Then, get outta the car, you walk over to her. You bring her over to the car. Dig out the key, put it in the lock and open the door for her. Then you let her get in. Then you close the door. Then you walk around the back of the car and look through the rear window. If she doesn't reach over and lift up that button so that you can get in: dump her.

M2d
08-18-2005, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I believe this is game theory.

[/ QUOTE ]
the guy's got 100 willing girls to go out with but won't be sleeping with any of them. I believe this is no-game theory.

jackdaniels
08-18-2005, 01:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I believe this is game theory.

[/ QUOTE ]
the guy's got 100 willing girls to go out with but won't be sleeping with any of them. I believe this is no-game theory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brilliant!

offTopic
08-18-2005, 02:08 PM
Either knock it down to 64 girls or bump it up to 128, and then have a deathmatch tournament. The winner is obviously the best, a survivor, and the worthiest candidate to continue your genetic line.

DemonDeac
08-18-2005, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd whip it out and whichever girl came up to me and let me SIIHP would win. Simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

WINNAH!

tpir90036
08-18-2005, 02:17 PM
You didn't say we could not talk to them first. So why wouldn't we just do that and start narrowing the group down before we date them?

DonBaker
08-18-2005, 02:27 PM
really easy one...

BlowJobs Contest!!

AEKDBet
08-18-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Alright, listen to me. You pull up right where she lives, right? Before you get outta the car, you lock both doors. Then, get outta the car, you walk over to her. You bring her over to the car. Dig out the key, put it in the lock and open the door for her. Then you let her get in. Then you close the door. Then you walk around the back of the car and look through the rear window. If she doesn't reach over and lift up that button so that you can get in: dump her.

[/ QUOTE ]

Best answer so far

cdxx
08-18-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Best answer so far

[/ QUOTE ]

lame, tells you nothing about SSIHP

AEKDBet
08-18-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

SSIHP

[/ QUOTE ]

yep

coffeecrazy1
08-18-2005, 04:03 PM
Quickly determine which girls you find physically attractive. Eliminate the ones you don't.

Ask the remainders if they like to play poker. Eliminate as above.

Whatever you have left will be a small enough sample to date without getting confused.

Pick the one you enjoy talking with the most...she's the keeper.

paulish
08-19-2005, 11:11 AM
that's right, 1/e

You date 37, then marry the first one who score higher than all the previous ones on the blowjob test. Your chances of finding Lovelace is 37%

craig r
08-19-2005, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Best answer so far

[/ QUOTE ]

When did Sonny teach you that Buster?

craig

dynamite
08-19-2005, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Best answer so far

[/ QUOTE ]

nh. what's that movie called?

mason55
08-19-2005, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Date the first 1/e, then take the first girl better than the best in that bunch. (This should be in the probability forum.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand why there are replies after this.

craig r
08-19-2005, 11:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Best answer so far

[/ QUOTE ]

nh. what's that movie called?

[/ QUOTE ]

A Bronx Tale

craig