PDA

View Full Version : 88 in BB vs. possible steal raise

Barry
03-31-2003, 01:55 PM
I was told afterward that I played this badly. Did I?

4/8 at FW's a couple of young, aggressive semi-pros, some weak tights and some calling stations (one called my turn check raise with T /forums/images/icons/spade.gif T /forums/images/icons/club.gif with 3 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 's on the board as well as 2 overcards, I had A's up with the A /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif. Of course the river was the T /forums/images/icons/heart.gif, but that's another post)

I have the black 8's in the BB.

Folded to the button (1 of the semi-pros) who raises, SB folds, I reraise, button calls.

Flop is T76 rainbow, I bet, button calls.

Turn is A, I check, button bets, I call.

River is a 9, I bet, button calls.

Does anyone disagree with the pre-flop 3 bet?
Was the turn check wrong? When he bets the turn should I really put him on an A and fold?

Bob T.
03-31-2003, 02:28 PM
Does anyone disagree with the pre-flop 3 bet?

I like the flop three bet, I think I might have disagreed if you called the flop.

Was the turn check wrong?

I think so, a good share of your three betting hands will contain an ace. I would bet here, and hope to win the pot,

When he bets the turn should I really put him on an A and fold?

Don't you wish you bet the turn and he folded, and you didn't have these hard decisions to make. Even if he raises, the decision is easier to make. You have 6 probable outs against an Ace, and you are getting 7 to 1 pot odds. It looks about neutral. I think raising a preflop three bettor on the turn shows that he has to have some kind of hand, so I wouldn't pay him off on the river unless you improve. I think that makes it more like 8 to 1 because you might collect a bet if you improve, so I would call here.

JTG51
03-31-2003, 02:36 PM
The preflop 3-bet was good. You'll have the best hand the majority of the time.

I would bet the turn. The A could very well scare him as much as it scares you. Since you checked though, I think your 6 outs plus the chance your hand is good makes for a pretty easy turn call.

Was it the button that said you played it badly? If it was, I'm curious who this 'young, aggressive semi-pros' was. I think I have an idea though.

elysium
03-31-2003, 03:06 PM
hi barry
you must bet out on the turn. if raised, if your opponent is non-tricky, you can lay it down. but you must bet that turn card. same amout of money on that one.

Barry
03-31-2003, 03:19 PM
Button showed AK, mucked and took a walk.

My turn thoughts: If he has the A, he raises, and costs me 2BB to see the river to my 6 outs; if he doesn't bet, I have an easy river bet. I don't know, I'm still learning.