PDA

View Full Version : Folding overpairs in large pots...

08-17-2005, 06:59 PM
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (13 SB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, SB calls, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn: (11 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero folds, SB calls.

River: (13 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 15 BB

I re-raised on the flop for a few reasons... he could just have a 9, he could just have a draw, and even if he does have a jack, he might call with the intention of check-raising me on the turn. Instead he does the PP smart play to gain 1 extra SB instead of an extra BB.

What else would he 3-bet with here? 99 and Jx are the only ones that make sense here. Or maybe a straight/flush draw, but he seemed a pretty straight forward player.

On the turn I missed all my backdoor draws and my miracle king. Weak fold?

08-17-2005, 07:02 PM
hearts, or a straight draw, or a straight flush draw, or an overplayed 9, or QQ/TT. I will call down usually unless I have a strong read.

davelin
08-17-2005, 07:09 PM
I'd cap the flop. I don't think I'm folding here.

08-17-2005, 07:11 PM
Hmm.. I neglected to consider QQ. It's possible, although unlikely. Then again, he had a PFR of ZERO and 35% VP$IP... of course it's only a 52 hands sample, but you'd figure out of those 35% of hands played, 1 of them would be worth raising with.

At least I ended up being correct here. In the future I think I'll just call down in most cases. During the hand I neglected to consider him pumping a straight/flush draw, which would be highly unlikely for him to do, but still possible I guess.