PDA

View Full Version : An opponent with a photographic memory

beekeeper
08-17-2005, 05:27 PM
Someone I play against recently told me he has a photographic memory. He plays things kind of close to the vest, so I didn't ask him what kind of advantage that gives him in poker.

If anyone out there has a photographic memory, can you comment on the edge it gives you in poker? Any advice for what the rest of us can do against this edge?

08-17-2005, 05:46 PM
I have a photographic memory and it enables me to remember a great number of situations in poker. I will often remember not only specific hands but the expressions on my opponents' faces as they have played them. Sometimes I startle myself at the information I'm able to recall.

As for tackling such a player, I would suggest being slightly more deceptive. Remember that a little deception goes a long way. Every time you attempt to make a play for advertising or deception, you generally are playing in manner less than optimal for the current hand in an effort to make up for it later. Even raising 97s on button in front of 6 limpers may result in this opponent remembering that you do in fact raise with mediocre hands. Check-raising as a bluff and ending up getting caught will also make your opponent remember this little fact. But with an incredible memory, it will only take two-three small acts of deception to get the message across. Other than that, just mix it up a little bit when in a shorthanded pot with him.

z80x86
08-18-2005, 01:23 AM
In one of Malmuth's essays he argued that photographic memory would be a great thing to have in seven card stud, for pretty obvious reasons

andyfox
08-18-2005, 02:06 AM
Von Neumann had a photographic memory and was supposedly a poor poker player. And it couldn't have been that he didn't know the math.

SittingBull
08-18-2005, 04:53 AM
tolerate mistakes from his students.
He was not capable of playing poker correctly because he had NO patience and discipline.
SittingBull

ajv
08-18-2005, 05:47 AM
I bet you are able to memorize all the probabilities needed in poker. Do you call? I think that's a huge advantage. Now you just have to apply them /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Have you ever tried how many PI decimals you can memorize? A friend of mine with normal memory won a bet at school after being able to memorize 100 decimals of PI.

UseThePeenEnd
08-18-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Von Neumann had a photographic memory and was supposedly a poor poker player. And it couldn't have been that he didn't know the math.

[/ QUOTE ]

Immensely ironic, given that he wrote a book on game theory.

08-18-2005, 05:10 PM
I wrote out a cheat sheet of all the odds of hitting certain outs. I am easily able to remember all the odds by picturing the sheet in my head.

Memorizing digits of pi offers me no advantage, seeing as how most computers store the value in memory. I doubt I could make a decent living hunting down prop bets for the digits of pi. Although, it does make for a neat party trick.

I do remember bizarre things at bizarre times, though. I was once able to recall the 5-digit number on the back of my grade 2 schoolbus... 12 years after the fact at a bar with my buddies.

magiluke
08-18-2005, 06:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wrote out a cheat sheet of all the odds of hitting certain outs. I am easily able to remember all the odds by picturing the sheet in my head.

Memorizing digits of pi offers me no advantage, seeing as how most computers store the value in memory. I doubt I could make a decent living hunting down prop bets for the digits of pi. Although, it does make for a neat party trick.

I do remember bizarre things at bizarre times, though. I was once able to recall the 5-digit number on the back of my grade 2 schoolbus... 12 years after the fact at a bar with my buddies.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the early hours of Saturday July 2, 2005, a Japanese mental health counsellor, Akira Haraguchi, 59, managed to recite Pi's first 83,431 decimal places from memory, thus breaking the standing world record (Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi))

PairTheBoard
08-18-2005, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In the early hours of Saturday July 2, 2005, a Japanese mental health counsellor, Akira Haraguchi, 59, managed to recite Pi's first 83,431 decimal places from memory, thus breaking the standing world record (Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi))

[/ QUOTE ]

I once doubled the number 2 thirteen times in my head.

PairTheBoard

PairTheBoard
08-18-2005, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I once doubled the number 2 thirteen times in my head.

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

I got 4 every time.

PairTheBoard

08-18-2005, 10:40 PM
ha, actually that's a good joke. and also a photographic memory isn't what most people think it to be. it simply means that you can visually see things in your mind. for example, if taking a test, rather than reciting a phrase that includes an answer you can see the answer written on your note paper with the correct answer. like normal memory there are varying degrees of photographic memory. photographic memory in poker i think would just be very good "recall". remembering what a player had when they did this or that.

tek
08-22-2005, 12:03 AM
I like to remind players about key hands we played on a previous session (live). It freaks them out and gives me an edge against them...

stu-unger
08-22-2005, 12:44 AM
i have a photographic memory and i don't think im at any real advantage. granted ill remember your screen name or your face it doesn't mean i can draw all of that information into context. i think i may hold a slight advantage over the some in the duration of a session by having a better memory of the session. but in the long term i remember so many hands and situations vividly it can sometimes be very hard to recall exactly where the information comes from. a photographic memory is neat to have but, just think everything in your life that holds meaning to u is retained as an image. this can make things complex when it comes to recall.

justT
08-22-2005, 02:10 AM
Use his powers against him, insist on using a deck of HOOTERs Calendar Girls playing cards