PDA

View Full Version : Beer v Whiskey Hangover

Nate tha' Great
08-17-2005, 03:27 PM
My favorite alcoholic beverages at the moment are:

1) Premium beer.
2) Premium whiskey (usually mixed with cola).

Assuming that the same amount of alcohol is consumed, which tasty beverage will provide the lesser hangover?

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-17-2005, 03:29 PM
I don't get hangovers. I'll take both and smile in the morning.

ThaSaltCracka
08-17-2005, 03:29 PM
I am guessing the beer, because I think the sugaryness of the soda will dehydrate you even more so then the beer.

jakethebake
08-17-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Nate tha' Great
08-17-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Premium" means Jack Daniels or Makers Mark. If we get to about the Johnnie Walker Black Label level, it's not getting mixed with anything.

beta1607
08-17-2005, 03:33 PM
People who consider any whiskey that is mixed with cola premium tend to be the same people who consider Bud light premium beer

benza13
08-17-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Premium" means Jack Daniels or Makers Mark. If we get to about the Johnnie Walker Black Label level, it's not getting mixed with anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't ever call Jack Daniels "premium" again.

kipin
08-17-2005, 03:35 PM
If you're gonna mix the whiskey with cola, why don't you buy the cheapest stuff, or one step up from the cheapest stuff?

MrWookie47
08-17-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am guessing the beer, because I think the sugaryness of the soda will dehydrate you even more so then the beer.

[/ QUOTE ]

When coupled with any caffeine in the cola, this is even more true.

ChicagoTroy
08-17-2005, 03:36 PM
Beer in most people will result in the lesser hangover. It will dehydrate you less.

BTW, Bungalow has a pretty good whiskey selection and the bartender is from Kentucky with a really good background in bourbon. Delila's (sp) by Diversey & Lincoln has the biggest rye & bourbon selections in the city, and it's quite the dive bar.

If you go to Binny's liquor store, try Pappy Van Winkle's next time you hit Binny's, it's a microdistillery that's better and cheaper than Maker's (though their really high end stuff is $200+/bottle). Be aware if you are getting the 107 proof or the 94-ish, I've made that mistake and been quite useless the next day as a result.

sfer
08-17-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Drink the Makers neat. Toss the Jack. Gentleman Jack is fine beverage, however.

ChicagoTroy
08-17-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Word. Gentleman Jack is fine sippin' whiskey. I'd toss the Johnny Walker Black, too.

Nate tha' Great
08-17-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're gonna mix the whiskey with cola, why don't you buy the cheapest stuff, or one step up from the cheapest stuff?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I don't totally buy that line of argument. I have a fairly sensitive palette, and the really cheap stuff *will* give you a wicked hangover. We can debate what constitutes "premium" booze and what doesn't, but at least avoiding the bottom-barrel stuff is one of those little luxuries I can afford to indulge in now.

sfer
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Word. Gentleman Jack is fine sippin' whiskey. I'd toss the Johnny Walker Black, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. Tasting one's way through Scotland is a fine hobby.

asofel
let me do some more research and get back to you

Eurotrash
08-17-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

because then we don't get to sound cool when we say we drank a Maker's Mark and cola. you have to say you had a Banker's Club and cola. what fun is that?

astroglide
08-17-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a fairly sensitive palette

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.sundancedesigns.net/palette.JPG

http://images.rvproject.com/images/2003/20030620_engine_crate_arrived.jpg

for whiskey, jack daniels would be standard. bar well mixed drinks grade liquor is generally referred to as 'rotgut' (e.g. popov vodka).

jakethebake
08-17-2005, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The bars around here have better well whiskey than Jack. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

ThaSaltCracka
08-17-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When coupled with any caffeine in the cola, this is even more true.

[/ QUOTE ]ZGood point. I think the best way to avoid hangovers is to:
1. Avoid dehydration
2. Avoid as many toxins(impurities) as possible
3. Avoid "coming down" off other "drugs" besides alcohol.

With Jack and Soda or Beer you have 1 & 2 no matter what, there is just almost no way to fully prevent those from happening. But with Jack and Coke, you have to contest with the sugar buzz's and the caffeine buzz's, and the letdowns that follow.

brassnuts
08-17-2005, 04:09 PM
Wacki gave a lot of good information about this sort of stuff around 6 months ago. Unfortunately, the search function sucks, and I can't find it. Anyways, it boiled down to the fact that whiskey is actually one of the worst things to drink in terms of hangovers because it contains more toxins (called congeners IIRC - toxins other than alcohol itself). These, combined with alcohol and dehydration are the main causes for a hangover.

And, keep on mixing Jack/Makers and Coke, I love that stuff.

turnipmonster
08-17-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Drink the Makers neat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried this out of respect for sfer and it was ok, but rocks is still my default.

Zygote
08-17-2005, 05:01 PM
Drink 2-3 glasses of water BEFORE you start drinking. Then, have another glass of water about midway through you drinking. Lastly, have a glass or two before you goto sleep.

Hangovers are simply the result of dehyrdation. This is easy to prevent. Also, if you smoke weed while your drinking, you should be even stricter with the above guidelines. Following the guidelines will prevent any head-aches and nausea including the hangover.

bugstud
08-17-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My favorite alcoholic beverages at the moment are:

1) Premium beer.

Assuming that the same amount of alcohol is consumed, which tasty beverage will provide the lesser hangover?

[/ QUOTE ]

it depends on which magoo table you are at... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

good hangover prevention advice is already in the thread. Water = +EV