PDA

View Full Version : Blind Defense - Strategy Question

The_Curtain
08-17-2005, 03:22 PM
I have been defending against last position blind stealing more recently and am wondering if calling or raising is really "blind defense".

When a TAG on the button raises first in I assume that he is stealing (as I often do) and wonder if I should worry about being dominated (KT, A9, etc.) in this situation. I see 3.5 to 1 odds (rake does have effect in these small pots which I will ignore for now) and that many hands become playable for those odds.

For example I am in the BB with 66 a TAG on the button opens, SB folds; raise or call in this situation?

For the 3.5 to 1 odds you get how much discount does the hand have for being out of position?

Finally, is it too tight weak to fit and fold on the flop? I find check-fold or check-raising is usually the way to play after calling the pre-flop raise since the TAG will always come out betting regarding of whether the flop helped him or not.

I know this post is somewhat generic, but how good does your hand have to be to reraise in the blinds versus just calling?

Thanks.

brettbrettr
08-17-2005, 03:30 PM
I raise a lot if I'm playing and do a lot of leading after I raise. If I just call I almost always check and then either fold or raise.

Nick C
08-17-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I raise a lot if I'm playing and do a lot of leading after I raise. If I just call I almost always check and then either fold or raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has pretty much become my approach as well.

SeaEagle
08-17-2005, 03:41 PM
If you reraise with your good hands (but not necessarily your great hands), then there's nothing wrong with playing fit or fold on the flop. You need to mix betting out and check-raising the hands you hit and occasionally you need to bet out on a bluff to keep your opponent honest or he'll be correct in just betting at you every single flop that you check.

08-17-2005, 03:45 PM
So to sum up - as a general rule - if you re-raise pre-flop, then you should lead out the betting - if you call, then you would check-raise or check-fold - of course, with variations on your play as always.

Is that what I am reading?

illini99
08-17-2005, 03:55 PM
Generally with what hands are you raising and what hands are you calling?

Nick C
08-17-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So to sum up - as a general rule - if you re-raise pre-flop, then you should lead out the betting - if you call, then you would check-raise or check-fold - of course, with variations on your play as always.

[/ QUOTE ]

This describes my 3/6 auto-pilot blind defense pretty accurately (well, except maybe for the "variations on your play as always" part /images/graemlins/blush.gif).

peterchi
08-17-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds about right to me, with a c/r after 3-betting sometimes too.

08-17-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds about right to me, with a c/r after 3-betting sometimes too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying that in a situation where you 3 bet out of the big blind pre-flop, you would check raise on the flop?

I would think that in most cases, if you 3 bet out of the BB and then check the flop, most people are going to be expecting a bet from you - so if you check and someone bets, I am thinking that you are probably up against a pretty strong hand.

The downside to this is that if it is checked around, you have no choice but to bet on the turn, and you will probably lose any and all action.

I'd say that's a pretty risky play.