PDA

View Full Version : Riverboat!!

Tyler Durden
03-31-2003, 04:12 AM
$6-$12 home game.

Folded to me on the button w/ T9o. Call it a boredom stealraise. Both blinds call.

Flop is K-T-9, rainbow.
SB bets out, BB folds, I raise, SB 3-bets, I call.

Turn is 3, putting two hearts on board.
He bets, I call.

River is T /forums/images/icons/heart.gif.
He bets, I raise, he 3-bets.

What's your play? This guy is good at river play.

Comments appreciated.

elysium
03-31-2003, 04:32 AM
hi ty,
reaise him

Tyler Durden
03-31-2003, 04:34 AM
Okay, but why? what's the read?

do you play in any home games?

JTG51
03-31-2003, 04:39 AM
His flop play looks like 2 pair or better. His river play says he isn't scared of trip T's, so that rules out K9. Most players wouldn't play a flopped straight that fast. He's doing a real good job of convincing me he's got KT.

I think he has 4 possible hands. KT, QJ, T9 and 99. It doesn't matter what you do if he has T9, and I think 99 is unlikely since he didn't 3-bet your steal raise preflop. If he has KT you are probably going to lose 2 more BBs by 4-betting (unless you can fold to a 5-bet). If he has QJ, you will probably make 1 more BB. I think his chances of having KT vs QJ are better than 1 out of 3, so against a good player I'm just calling the river 3-bet.

JTG51
03-31-2003, 04:46 AM
do you play in any home games?

It's funny you asked that. As I was reading the hand I was thinking that in my home game I'd do anything from fold to the river 3-bet to put in my whole stack, depending on the opponent. We've got quite a range of styles in our game. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

spiral
03-31-2003, 04:56 AM
Tyler,

If you would post your reasoning for the way you played the flop and the turn, I bet it would help us. I'm interested because I don't fully understand your line of play here.

samdash
03-31-2003, 05:37 AM
How about the backdoor flush draw? He could have had a hand like AhKh. 4 bet him.

BTAL
03-31-2003, 07:21 AM
I would reraise his 3-bet. I haven't been playing this game very long compared to most posters here, but I know that in home games you play the player more than the cards. Since I don't know this player, it makes it pretty hard to read his hand.

Just from the action, though, I'd put him on either QJ or the nut flush. He obviously isn't scared on the paired tens on the board, so his hand's better than trips. KT is your only threat here.

I really don't understand your action on the flop or turn though. What's your reasoning here? I would've reraised his 3-bet on the flop for a better read on his hand, and because I most likely have the upper hand here. And I would have raised on the turn for the same reasons. Any insight to your actions would be nice.

But I put him on AKh or AQh. He also could have QJ or KT, and I wouldn't be entiredly surprised, but my money's on the nut flush. Reraise the river.

Tyler Durden
03-31-2003, 08:55 AM
It's a coordinated flop and after I raise it, he 3-bets, I think I'm in trouble. He's not the type to recklessly spray chips around. I figure he's either got two pair or the straight, how can I come over the top again? Bad idea, I believe.

So the turn doesn't change anything, but I think I'm behind, I'm trying to see the river cheaply and I think I need to fill up.

I never considered him having the flush. He wouldn't draw for the backdoor heads-up like that. But if he's got the flush, that's great. Good for him!!

In short, I played the flop and turn in that manner b/c I was thinking I was not in the lead.

Tyler Durden
03-31-2003, 05:27 PM
Okay, so on the river, he 3-bet and I had to ponder my next move. I thought about the hands that beat me: KK (but he would 3-bet with those pre-flop, right? so i counted that out). So I 4-bet.

What do you think of that?

Ulysses
03-31-2003, 06:12 PM
Tyler, for future posts, just pick one forum. Here's my response from your crossposted thread:

I put him on QJ and 4-bet. If he 5-bets, I call him down and expect to see KT or 99, though sometimes he'll actually have KK, other times he'll have T9 as well and occassionally will just have QJ.

And, after you clarified that the heart on the flop was the nine:

There's a decent chance this guy might have KQh or KJh in addition to the other possible hands I mentioned. Even more reason to 4-bet.

So what's the range of hands he might have?

KK, KT - you lose
99, QJ, K9h, KQh, KJh, AKh - you win
9T - you tie

The lack of a pre-flop 3-bet makes KK and AKh less likely. Unless you're absolutely positive he won't play QJ that fast, I think it's a pretty clear re-raise.

DaNoob
03-31-2003, 08:51 PM
Another facet to consider here is what HE thinks YOU have while he keeps raising you. Since you raised in the BB, I think he puts you on something better than a 9T, which may play into his thinking here. So what would he re-raise you with, assuming that you are starting with a strong hand (ie, not 9To)?

Tyler Durden
03-31-2003, 09:29 PM
I didn't raise in the BB, I was on the button.

Tyler Durden
03-31-2003, 09:34 PM
I was thinking about this hand for a while after it was played. I 4-bet when he 3-bet and he called. I had tens full of nines, he turned over QJo for the flopped nut straight. I stacked a pot of $192.

But I can't help but think I overplayed my hand. He's a good player and when he 3-bets the river, his play is more consistent with KT, which beats me. I didn't think he'd 3-bet with the straight. So I think we both overplayed our hands.

But KT didn't even enter my head when I was assigning him a range. I knew 99 didn't beat me and neither did QJ. That's all I thought about.

DaNoob
03-31-2003, 09:40 PM
Ah, yes. I misread. I still would have played the hand the same way you did, although I have been stung by better boats from time to time. And,as he proved to you, he didn't put you on the 9T.

Nottom
04-01-2003, 01:33 AM
The question I have for you is ... what hand are you afraid of on the turn, that doesn't still scare you on the river?

magic_man
04-03-2003, 10:41 PM
My spidey sense is tingling here. Seems to me like he probably had JQ suited in diamonds, and that the flop came 9h 10d Kd. That's just a guess though ;-)

~Magic Man