PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't we listen to Von Neumann?

Ezcheeze
08-17-2005, 02:41 PM
I didn't want to hijack the other thread as it's mostly discussion about whether he was right or wrong.

My question is why did the United States not try to basically take over the world? It seems obvious that had Germany or Japan been the first to create large amounts of nuclear bombs that they would have used them to take over the world. It's likely Russia would have done the same if they had been first. Why not the United States?

I suspect that if the first nuclear power had been a dictatorship, then it would have been very likely to make a move at controlling the world and supressing any other county's ability to produce nuclear weapons.

Could it be that Democracy saved the day (Or condemned the day if eventually theres a massive nuclear war that ends civilization)?

BZ_Zorro
08-17-2005, 03:01 PM
Because Americans of that day were basically good, civilised people. Most other nations/races are basically evil or full of human failings. I'm serious.

And no, I'm not American.

Jim T
08-17-2005, 03:20 PM
People were tired of war and death. Plus there was/is no interest in "taking over the world". Too much work, not nearly enough reward even in the best case scenario.

Also, how are you going to sell a pre-emptive nuclear war against the USSR after all the pro-Soviet propaganda during the war? Nuke good old "Uncle Joe"? Perish the thought.

It would take several years before the majority of the country would even consider it, and by then the Soviets alread had nukes (thanks in large part to the Rosenburgs and other traitors).

Autocratic
08-17-2005, 06:17 PM
It's pretty clear that America was drained, at least emotionally at home (and the military took a beating).

Besides, we had just watched someone try and fail.

BluffTHIS!
08-17-2005, 09:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My question is why did the United States not try to basically take over the world?

[/ QUOTE ]

Our pop fastfood culture has. Golden arches and rapcrap now circle the globe.

08-17-2005, 10:05 PM
Cue Team America theme song

andyfox
08-18-2005, 01:06 AM
No doubt a sense of right and wrong played a part. Also, we didn't have enough bombs to do it. [A 1952 rumor held that Air Force Secretary Finletter had said of the H-omb: "With seven of these weapons, we can rule the eworld."] And we know we'd be on top of the world, the rest of the industrialized countries were basically prostrate from the war.

08-18-2005, 01:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, we didn't have enough bombs to do it

[/ QUOTE ]

On a side note, I heard some where that America made 3 atom bombs, tested one, dropped 2 over Japan, and told Japan they had more (bluffed)

Can anyone cofirm this? I'd like to put this into my database of interesting comfirmed stories

andyfox
08-18-2005, 01:35 AM
We had no more bombs after the one dropped on Nagasaki. Truman said that "the bombs are now in production and even more powerful forms are in development. . . . If they [Japanese leaders] to not now accept our terms they may expect a rain of ruin form the air, the like of which has never been seen on this earth."

tomdemaine
08-18-2005, 06:31 AM
Who is saying America hasn't taken over the world? Subtlety is the key. All the benefits of empire and none of the cost.