PDA

View Full Version : Celebration Station

Dex
08-17-2005, 02:32 PM
When I was a kid, there was a Celebration Station in the Chicago area suburbs that I got to go to semi-regularly. This place was like heaven to me at the time. It was similar to old school Showbiz Pizza or Chuck E. Cheese (when they actually had video games and not just gambling-for-tickets crap), although they did have Skee Ball and Whack-A-Mole too.

Eventually, it closed, a car dealership took its place, and I was sad. Life went on.

I recently found an old Celebration Station token in one of my bedroom drawers, and suddenly my mind was awash in challenging stages, pie factories, lava trolls, "AVOID SPIKES", red and green flashing drains, 5000 point bananas, "PREPARE TO QUALIFY", and swarms of diagonally-flying mosquitoes.

I always assumed that Celebration Station consisted of that single location, since I'd never seen any others. I just discovered that Celebration Station is actually a chain, and several locations exist. See here (http://celebrationstation.com/).

Anyone been to one recently? How are they? Any old school games? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

DemonDeac
08-17-2005, 02:36 PM
i was at a celebration station in greensboro, NC for a fraternity rush event. it was great. we got drunk beforehand and then went on the go carts and proceeded to get in a boatload of trouble, but it was alot of fun.

granted, we all were twice the age of everyone else there that wasnt a parent, but fun nonetheless

jakethebake
08-17-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I recently found an old Celebration Station token in one of my bedroom drawers...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very weird. I found one the other day too when I moved. It was in a box with some old sentimental stuff from like high school. I went there with an old girlfriend.

Dex
08-17-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When I was a kid, there was a Celebration Station in the Chicago area suburbs that I got to go to semi-regularly. This place was like heaven to me at the time. It was similar to old school Showbiz Pizza or Chuck E. Cheese (when they actually had video games and not just gambling-for-tickets crap), although they did have Skee Ball and Whack-A-Mole too.

Eventually, it closed, a car dealership took its place, and I was sad. Life went on.

I recently found an old Celebration Station token in one of my bedroom drawers, and suddenly my mind was awash in challenging stages, pie factories, lava trolls, "AVOID SPIKES", red and green flashing drains, 5000 point bananas, "PREPARE TO QUALIFY", and swarms of diagonally-flying mosquitoes.

I always assumed that Celebration Station consisted of that single location, since I'd never seen any others. I just discovered that Celebration Station is actually a chain, and several locations exist. See here (http://celebrationstation.com/).

Anyone been to one recently? How are they? Any old school games? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Bonus points if you can name the eight arcade games to which I'm referring.

08-17-2005, 05:27 PM
"PREPARE TO QUALIFY" = Pole Position

lava trolls = joust?

lighterjobs
08-17-2005, 05:31 PM
there is a celebration station here in tulsa that is opened all year long and people play mini golf outside in the middle of january.

DukeSucks
08-17-2005, 05:39 PM
I used to go to the one in Charlotte a lot when growing up, but all we ever did was ride the go karts. I know they had miniature golf, and I think they might have had bumper boats too. I pass it every time I go to visit my dad and have great flashbacks too.

dynamite
08-17-2005, 05:40 PM
Yeah, the one in Tulsa has sweeeeet go karting, too.

Dex
08-17-2005, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bonus points if you can name the eight arcade games to which I'm referring.

[/ QUOTE ]
"PREPARE TO QUALIFY" = Pole Position

lava trolls = joust?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're off to a good start. Someone where I work just named all eight. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

2+2 wannabe
08-17-2005, 06:20 PM
5000 point bananas is clearly ms. pacman/pacman

Mason Hellmuth
08-17-2005, 11:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I went there with an old girlfriend.

[/ QUOTE ]
Trip report?

Challenging stages is obviously Galaga, the best video game ever made.

IronDragon1
08-17-2005, 11:27 PM
For Chicago area 6-10 year old fun; NOTHING beat Discovery Zone

Gandor
08-18-2005, 01:18 AM
I believe the red and green drains are from bouble trouble

jakethebake
08-18-2005, 08:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Trip report?

[/ QUOTE ]

Trip report? It was lik 20 years ago. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BiffMan
08-18-2005, 10:37 AM
Aside from the ones that have already been mentioned:

Avoid Spikes - Tempest
Swarms of diagonally flying mosquitos - Millipede?

Got me on pie factories... Thought I knew my classic arcade games, but that's not ringing a bell.