PDA

View Full Version : The Difference Between Michael Douglas and You

andyfox
08-17-2005, 01:47 PM
Watched a documentary on Kirk and Michael Douglas last night (yeah, I know, I have no life). Anyway Michael was talking about how he met Catherine Zita-Jones. Like you and me, he first saw her in Zorro, and, again like you and me, was blown away by how beautiful she was.

The difference: he saw the movie at a pre-release screening at his own house. He then called up the producers and went to the premiere and got an introduction to her.

It's good to be the king.

Blarg
08-17-2005, 02:35 PM
Yeah, kinda like Tom Cruise auditioning girlfriends. Most of life is pretty much a slam dunk for those dudes.

kipin
08-17-2005, 02:37 PM
He has millions of dollars.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-17-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He has billions of dollars and his own private tropical island.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP

Warik
08-17-2005, 02:43 PM
We're missing the main point here...

Catherine Zeta-Jones is hot.

Michael Douglas is not.

Michael Douglas has an excessive amount of money.

So does Catherine Zeta-Jones. She most likely didn't marry him for the money.

Logic would therefore dictate that all other things being equal, we'd all have a shot at her too, since she's presumably not marrying him for the money. So... what's the X-factor? HOW DID THIS GUY PULL IT OFF?

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-17-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Michael Douglas is not.

Logic would therefore dictate that all other things being equal, we'd all have a shot at her too, since she's presumably not marrying him for the money. So... what's the X-factor? HOW DID THIS GUY PULL IT OFF?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes she's rich, but he's uber rich. Even millionaires want a piece of a billionaire. Plus, I'm sure he's one of the most charismatic people you'd ever meet.

BZ_Zorro
08-17-2005, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes she's rich, but he's uber rich. Even millionaires want a piece of a billionaire. Plus, I'm sure he's one of the most charismatic people you'd ever meet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow. You are officially gay.

08-17-2005, 02:54 PM
What's the difference between Michael Douglas and me?

He's with Catherine Zeta-Jones and I'm not.

Many

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-17-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow. You are officially gay.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's official now? YESSSSS!!!!!!

samjjones
08-17-2005, 02:57 PM
Michael Douglas is not a "billionaire". I can probably name 20 other actors off the top of my head who are worth more than him.

touchfaith
08-17-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Difference Between Michael Douglas and You

[/ QUOTE ]

About 3 inches (in my favor)

theghost
08-17-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So... what's the X-factor? HOW DID THIS GUY PULL IT OFF?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fame, perhaps?

Sponger15SB
08-17-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Michael Douglas is a billionaire? WTF? Can you find a website that confirms this?

tdarko
08-17-2005, 03:07 PM
why wouldn't she want gordon gekko?

you say he isn't hot b/c you are a guy but i know of many girls that find him attractive, plus he's gordon gekko.

TheBlueMonster
08-17-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah, kinda like Tom Cruise auditioning girlfriends.

[/ QUOTE ]
except that Tom Cruise does it to hide the fact that he is gay. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-17-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Michael Douglas is a billionaire? WTF? Can you find a website that confirms this?

[/ QUOTE ]
Apparently, I was mistaken. I apologize for my gross error. Apparently the guy is only worth something like a measly quarter-billion. Either way, he's grotesquely rich and very powerful in Hollywood.

Sponger15SB
08-17-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Apparently, I was mistaken. I apologize for my gross error. Apparently the guy is only worth something like a measly quarter-billion. Either way, he's grotesquely rich and very powerful in Hollywood.

[/ QUOTE ]

A quarter billion ain't what it used to be....

TheWorstPlayer
08-17-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A quarter billion ain't what it used to be....

[/ QUOTE ]
...when I have chili.

CCass
08-17-2005, 03:53 PM
i watched it as well. I thought it was pretty interesting.

TheCroShow
08-17-2005, 04:04 PM
marrying that old dude was catherine zeta-jones' best career move /images/graemlins/cool.gif

brassnuts
08-17-2005, 04:15 PM
Opening this thread, I knew it would have something to do with Catherine Zeta-Jones.

zokbarjazz
08-17-2005, 05:12 PM
you are some kind of sorcerer.

TheCroShow
08-17-2005, 06:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Opening this thread, I knew it would have something to do with Catherine Zeta-Jones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out the big brain on Brad!

Hal 2000
08-17-2005, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BURN THE WITCH!!!!

Blarg
08-17-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Michael Douglas is not.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true. Wealthy women marry the richest guy they can get as a matter of course.

It's hard to see from here, but there's a huge difference between wealth and great wealth and fabulous wealth. There's the wealth that buys a Rolls and the wealth that goes to work in a helicopter, the wealth that spends 20 grand on a vacation and the wealth that spends it at a nightclub. The people at the bottom end of that scale look at the top end of it the same way poor people look at people with a few million. Even the people in the middle can't spend and show off and live anywhere near the way the guys at the top can.

I used to work with an heir to the Seagrams fortune. His family owned European CASTLES, fer crissake. It takes a helluva lot more than an oscar or five to have that kind of money to throw around.

Blarg
08-17-2005, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Michael Douglas is not a "billionaire". I can probably name 20 other actors off the top of my head who are worth more than him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about being a billionaire, but his money doesn't come from acting.

It came from his dad, and from producing movies for 30 years now. Remember The China Syndrome? That was his. He's been in the money big leagues for a very long time now.

Blarg
08-17-2005, 06:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
except that Tom Cruise does it to hide the fact that he is gay. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of those Hollywood rumors I feel might be right. There's something very, very wrong about this guy and his relationships, all scientology aside.

offTopic
08-17-2005, 07:14 PM
After reading his trip report, this thread could have been titled, "The Difference Between Michael Davis and You."

Talk2BigSteve
08-17-2005, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of those Hollywood rumors I feel might be right. There's something very, very wrong about this guy and his relationships, all scientology aside.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to add to this because I don't want all my posts to be "Oh look a BigSteve Gay Post" but I met Tom Cruise about 3 years ago about 3 in the morning at The Bourbon Pub (http://www.bourbonpub.com/) in New Orleans. He was with some cute guy but I don't think he was an actor. They were chatting, drinking, and laughing but nothing overly gay going on between them except for the location.

Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Blarg
08-17-2005, 07:57 PM
Isn't male gay bars where all straight guys take their boyfriends?

Sponger15SB
08-17-2005, 07:59 PM
So does everyone out there actually believe Tom Cruise is gay, or is this just one of those things people make fun of celebrities for even thoug they aren't true.

Blarg
08-17-2005, 08:08 PM
It's been going on for a while. I think it started from the "Eyes Wide Shut" rumors that on the movie set, Tom and his wife Nicole couldn't even fake personal physical attraction at all and seemed to have so little charisma going on that the sex scenes were really difficult to shoot. There were even rumors that Tom needed coaching, he was such a cold lump of complete indifference toward Kidman and all the other nekkid women on the set.

Maybe it was earlier than that, but it does seem of a piece with his weird behavior lately, so those two things come together into a pretty weird, and possibly gay, picture.

andyfox
08-17-2005, 09:30 PM
A friend of mine used to work for Eli Broad, reportedly the richest man in California. One of his jobs was briefing the press each year on his personal wealth. The first year he went in and asked Mr. Broad if he could go down the list. Mr. Broad said go ahead. First item was property.

"Put down 4," said Mr. Broad.

"4?" asked my friend?

"Yeah, 4," said Broad.

My friend was embarrassed to ask but when he left the office he got confirmation that the numbers Broad was throwing out were billions. So $4 billion for property alone.

andyfox
08-17-2005, 09:30 PM
Bingo.

andyfox
08-17-2005, 09:31 PM
Yeah, Lee Grant directed it. Kirk Douglas was a very interesting man, always socially involved, quite a guy.

andyfox
08-17-2005, 09:33 PM
Maybe, but she's pretty talented. She got the job in Zorro because she grew up in the same town in Wales that Anthony Hopkins came from and he knew her as a musical performer there. She was going to be a star after Zorro, no doubt, but certainly marrying Mr. Douglas hasn't hurt her any. I liked her in Traffic and thought she was great in Chicago.

ChipWrecked
08-17-2005, 09:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about being a billionaire, but his money doesn't come from acting.

It came from his dad, and from producing movies for 30 years now. Remember The China Syndrome? That was his. He's been in the money big leagues for a very long time now.

[/ QUOTE ]

"You see that guy on the corner? You think he's rich? Being able to fly first class, being comfortable? I am talking about liquid. Being able to buy your own jet."

-Gordon Gekko

http://www.shop4photos.net/graphics/258/258494.jpg

(Douglas also produced 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest')

Blarg
08-17-2005, 10:57 PM
She's also on this British PBS light drama that shows on Saturday or Sunday night, from back when she looked in her early 20's. She was phenomenal looking then. Not bad now either, certainly one of the best come-backs from pregnancy I've seen. But it's kinda cool to see her when she was all new and shiny.