PDA

View Full Version : Tournament #1: the Bellagio 5 diamond World poker classic

orbie
03-31-2003, 02:04 AM
I just finished wathcing Travel channels World Poker Tour Tournament #1. I'm curious about thoughts on Gustav Hansens play and Kassem Deebs remark on his playing being horriable.

Also for anyone interested, Wends. April 2nd 9pm ET/PT is the next in the series. Tournament #2. For more info check out www.travel.discovery.com (http://www.travel.discovery.com)

sdplayerb
03-31-2003, 03:02 AM
I liked Hansens play overall. But do think his call could be questioned that knocked out Deeb.
Hansen was getting around 1.8 or 1.9 to 1 on his money.
So with the hands that Deeb could have come over the top with, it was pretty close.
I think he should have mucked it so as to not let Deeb back into the tourney.
Thus Deebs comment on his making big calls.

I thought the commentary was good and bad. They made numerous mistakes, such as saying Nguyen had a K kicker when the K was on the board. That is not his kicker. There were a few others.
Otherwise I thought the show was very good.

WTF
03-31-2003, 07:12 AM
Interviewer asked Deeb, "Tell me about the caliber of player at the final table."

Deeb: "Well the player who won the last hand from me (Hansen), he play very bad in my opinion. I would like to play this game with him every day for the rest of my life. If he plays like that, he could never beat me in the long run."

Has the ring of Sour Grapes to me. I guess Deeb forgot the next-to-the-last hand he played with Hansen, where Hansen picked off a total bluff by Deeb with a not-so-great hand.

manku
03-31-2003, 12:53 PM
I watched, and enjoyed, the show. Deeb played a couple hands horribly - notably the QQ slowplay against Hansen's 88, and that terrible 3-6 bluff where Hansen spiked the Q on the river. Both times, Deeb checked the turn when a bet would've most likely taken it down.

Players like Hansen are, like all ultra aggressive players, very dangerous. However, if you get a hand, they usually will end up hanging themselves. Much rather see them in a ring game than tourney.

Manku

David
03-31-2003, 01:17 PM
Deeb played the QQ horribly and the 63 worse. He had a chioce on the turn to bet and take down the pot and he didn't. Not making the turn bet made the river raise idiotic. The most dangerous hand you can play in a tourney is the hand immediately after winning a big hand.

sdplayerb
03-31-2003, 01:31 PM
I agree.
And trying to bluff a semi-maniac who is the chip leader is not a good plan. He had no business even flat calling that raise..let alone the flop against the player he was up against.

What do people think of Juanda's final call with AJ?
I thought it was bad after the re-reraise. He is also the better player, so didn't need to take the risk.

manku
03-31-2003, 01:47 PM
I don't get the all in preflop, unless you're the one holding either AA, KK or maybe, maybe AK.

That's not poker, IMO. It's lotto.

Another reason why I feel limit is tougher than NL/PL.

Manku

marbles
03-31-2003, 02:21 PM
I thought it was great, and I think it will go a LONG way to promote poker in the US. I had never previously seen any of the players' faces except Nguyen, although I recognized Juanda and Deeb's names. Wouldn't be surprised if some players developed a fan following.

It was especially entertaining to watch the little glossary whenever the announcers uttered poker jargon.

pokerlover
03-31-2003, 02:30 PM
I felt it was pretty good. Much better then when they had the world series. I liked the fact that you could see the hole cards. That was a big time call by Hansen with the Queen. Surprised he called the next hand with q-10o but what do I know. He was sitting there and I was watching on TV. Juanda suprised me with the A-J call after he was re-raised all in. Fugured he was a better player and should have picked his battle another day. Just my 2 cents worth. Anyway, all in all I enjoyed it and am looking forward to Wed. night.

sdplayerb
03-31-2003, 03:17 PM
I think that is why PL is the best game.
Limit has more suckouts and is often worth calling on the turn due to odds.
Better players have a much bigger advantage in NL and PL as people can make bigger mistakes.

On another note, you keep seeing AJ as a big problem hand in tourneys. It cost Juanda and cost Shipley as well in the WSOP in pretty similar situations. Their reraises were good plays, but the calls were questionable at best.

orbie
03-31-2003, 03:54 PM
WTF your correct on Deebs wording. My roommates wouldn't allow me play back the tape to get the exact quote.
Thanks for the editing. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif