PDA

View Full Version : kicker issues with A8

Felipe
08-17-2005, 12:40 PM
I"m in a friendly game with $5 buy in. about 5 players left from 11. Button, SB, and me are all big stacks. All fold to the button who raies 3X Bigblind. SB calls, I call in BB with A8o.

Frop:

A low low.

I bet 400 (about 1/3 of the pot) button raises to 1000, sb folds. I fold.

I told him I'd show if he showed. and...I won't post results yet. Do you think 8 kicker is good enough? Trying to avoid playing weak kickers, but an 8 from the BB seemed good, to an apparent steal. Anybody change any part of this? I'm trying to get better at NL tourny's, but I can't get this limit SSH [censored] outta my head!

Thanks!

mosdef
08-17-2005, 12:47 PM
i think you need to provide more info about stack sizes, blind sizes, blind escalation, etc. most everybody on the forum can answer questions like this in the context of a PP SNG, but more info about a home game is required.

Felipe
08-17-2005, 12:51 PM
I'm looking at this more from a passive/aggressive standpoint. My NL skills are meager at best. Unfortunaltey for me, i don't remember the other details. Button SB and BB had very large stacks relative to the other players. They would be gobbled by the blinds soon enough. The button mentioned "sklansky's hand groupings" once before during this particular game. I don't think that those groupings related to NL or tournaments, so I believe he didn't know much more than I did about NL, never the less, I'd seen him attempt to steal pots before, and since his raise was so tiny, SB and I both called. When SB folded to the button's flop raise, i knew HE didn't have an ace. THat help any??????

Thanks

the_joker
08-17-2005, 12:59 PM
Stack sizes are really important here. If you have say only 7 BB left and button will steal your blinds with any 2 cards, then move all-in. If you have more than 10BB left and/or button is tight, then fold. Unless you're desparate, don't mix it up with other big stacks with marginal hands.

In general defending blinds with A8 is probably a bad idea. If an ace flops, you'll probably only get action from hands that can beat you. Unless you're against players who will play any ace and go nuts with it when they hit, but with an 8 kicker you'll only be ahead ~50% of the time anyway.

PapiChulo503
08-17-2005, 12:59 PM
That helps a little bit. A few more things people on this forum will ask before giving you an answer are as follows:
1-How many spots payout?
2-How long is each level?
3-How much longer before the blinds go up?
4-Do you have any other reads on the table?

Im sure theres more but these are just a off the top of my head. I think you got punked, the button was probably trying to steal with his 3x raise pre-flop. After the SB checked I would have bet more on the flop to see where I stand. Im thinking somewhere between 1\2 and 2\3 the pot.

Hope this helps, you need more info to get to get an accurate analysis from one of the Masters on the forum.

Felipe
08-17-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That helps a little bit. A few more things people on this forum will ask before giving you an answer are as follows:
1-How many spots payout?
2-How long is each level?
3-How much longer before the blinds go up?
4-Do you have any other reads on the table?

Im sure theres more but these are just a off the top of my head. I think you got punked, the button was probably trying to steal with his 3x raise pre-flop. After the SB checked I would have bet more on the flop to see where I stand. Im thinking somewhere between 1\2 and 2\3 the pot.

Hope this helps, you need more info to get to get an accurate analysis from one of the Masters on the forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't remember these details for the life of me. I wish I had. But it was only shites n giggles, so I didn't really pay TOO Much close attention. I think this is why I don't do so good at N.L. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

The pay out was top three, like 50/30/20
Other reads? SB was experienced and tighter than the majority of the table, not super tight though.
Levels? Blinds went up after a player was elminiated (not my idea - i'd prefer like 15 mins)
Am I folding the best hand here to often? am I good here most of the time??