PDA

View Full Version : Travel by deletion/duplication

bad beetz
08-17-2005, 12:26 PM
Suppose there is a technology now available.

You can travel by beam. However, you are not disassembled and reassembled Start Trek style.

Instead, you are deleted and an exact loss less copy is reproduced in the desired location. Would you travel this way?

AndysDaddy
08-17-2005, 01:40 PM
I've done you, haven't I?
--
Wowbagger, the Infinitely Prolonged

Ezcheeze
08-17-2005, 02:24 PM
Nope. The deletion is death and the copy is a seperate person. It might be ok for other poeple who knew me since the copy would be just like me, but I wouldn't be around to meet him.

snowden719
08-17-2005, 04:51 PM
I fail to see the relevant distinction between the two forms of teleportation, in both instances you are killed and exact replicatoin is created. PLease point out how deletoin and duplicatoin is meaningfully different from dissamble and the reassemble.

bad beetz
08-17-2005, 05:08 PM
it's not. you're correct. There is no difference. Would you travel this way?

snowden719
08-17-2005, 05:09 PM
hell no

Piers
08-17-2005, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Instead, you are deleted and an exact loss less copy is reproduced in the desired location.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there is a mistake, and I am accedently not delteted. What happens? Who will have leagal title to all my assets. Will the beam police be trying to kill me for the rest of my life. /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

CCass
08-17-2005, 06:01 PM
BONES - Go? Where are we going?

KIRK - (points to console) Where they went. Saavik.

BONES - But what if they went -- nowhere?

KIRK - Then this will be your big chance to get away from it all.

Jim T
08-17-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Instead, you are deleted and an exact loss less copy is reproduced in the desired location.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there is a mistake, and I am accedently not delteted. What happens? Who will have leagal title to all my assets. Will the beam police be trying to kill me for the rest of my life. /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus, what if an insect flies into the teleportation chamber? It gets real ugly.

jman220
08-17-2005, 10:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it's not. you're correct. There is no difference. Would you travel this way?

[/ QUOTE ]

I see a difference. Lets use this as an example. You are clinically braindead for 5 minutes. Then you are resuscitated. Is it still you? How is this different from the dis-assemble/re-assemble? However the delete/copy, is not you.

Spaded
08-18-2005, 04:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I see a difference. Lets use this as an example. You are clinically braindead for 5 minutes. Then you are resuscitated. Is it still you? How is this different from the dis-assemble/re-assemble? However the delete/copy, is not you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or even if we simply fall asleep, does our "self" follow us into tomorrow? (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2916944&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&fpart=1&vc=1)

PairTheBoard
08-18-2005, 07:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
jman220 --

Lets use this as an example. You are clinically braindead

[/ QUOTE ]

ok. I'm with you so far.

PairTheBoard

jman220
08-18-2005, 10:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
jman220 --

Lets use this as an example. You are clinically braindead

[/ QUOTE ]

ok. I'm with you so far.

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

Brilliant!, IMO

jman220
08-18-2005, 10:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or even if we simply fall asleep, does our "self" follow us into tomorrow? (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2916944&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&fpart=1&vc=1)

[/ QUOTE ]

Or, break time down into its smallest possible unit. Every one of these units, you die, and are reborn, exactly as described in your other thread...

KeysrSoze
08-18-2005, 11:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like a bad Arnold Schwarzenegger movie. You should name it "Terminal Transport" and sell the script to Hollywood for a mint!