PDA

View Full Version : Well, I'm not driving drunk again

LetYouDown
08-17-2005, 12:01 PM
So I got absolutely hammered last night. Was driving home, guy in the car told me I had to make a quick left...I made the left. Unfortunately the car didn't. I hit something...it wasn't a human, someone told me it was a group of mailboxes. Regardless, screwed up the front right headlight and there's some damage. I've had a ridiculous amount of expenses lately and I'm moving in the near future, so financially this is a problem. It was a pretty instantaneous cure for my drunk driving habit. I'll never do that again. What now? Suggestions?

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-17-2005, 12:03 PM
Don't ever forget how lucky you were that this is all that happened to your stupid ass.

irishpint
08-17-2005, 12:04 PM
suggestions? stop being a [censored] dumbass

LetYouDown
08-17-2005, 12:06 PM
Points noted. I've done this for far too long. I'm absurdly grateful to karma or whatever other forces are involved.

benza13
Make sure this sinks in. One night I got a dent and messed up a headlight hitting a mailbox when I passed out at the wheel. Didn't end up stopping me from drunk driving. Luckily before a more serious accident I got a DUI. That sure cured my problem and made it a lot more expensive.

RunDownHouse
[ QUOTE ]
Suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]
Next time realize that even under this ridiculously lucky scenario, a cab would have been much cheaper than the damage caused.

touchfaith
08-17-2005, 12:07 PM
My suggestion is to go to a remote part of the forrest, get drunk and play tag in your car with the trees.

This will save lifes as well as saving us all a lot of time and money down the road.

mslif
[ QUOTE ]
So I got absolutely hammered last night. Was driving home,

[/ QUOTE ]

no need to go further...
What the [censored] is wrong with you?

Patrick del Poker Grande
[ QUOTE ]
Luckily before a more serious accident I got a DUI. That sure cured my problem and made it a lot less expensive.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP

jakethebake
08-17-2005, 12:14 PM
While you're fixing your car, make sure you go pay for the mailboxes you trashed.

LetYouDown
08-17-2005, 12:16 PM
I've been pulled over twice while incredibly drunk, had this incident and I've avoided countless other close calls. I am 150% cured of this disease. Fortunately/unfortunately, now I have to fix my car. Anyone know a good body shop in the WNY area?

irishpint
08-17-2005, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
While you're fixing your car, make sure you go pay for the mailboxes you trashed.

[/ QUOTE ]

and tell them you were driving drunk and way to fast. i bet they'll make sure you never drive drunk again. afterwards, start an anti-drunk driving campaign where you talk about your recent castration and the embarassment it has caused you.

TheCroShow
08-17-2005, 12:17 PM
AA

touchfaith
08-17-2005, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been pulled over twice while incredibly drunk, had this incident and I've avoided countless other close calls. I am 150% cured of this disease. Fortunately/unfortunately, now I have to fix my car. Anyone know a good body shop in the WNY area?

[/ QUOTE ]

Translation: Getting caught by the cops? pfffff, who cares. But bust a headlight and I'm cured.

You are a soon to be statistic.

LetYouDown
08-17-2005, 12:22 PM
Getting pulled over by the cops wasn't a concrete demonstration that I wasn't fit to drive. They didn't pull me over for driving like an idiot, both were for speeding. This isn't a matter of stopping for financial reasons. It occurred to me that I very well could have injured/killed someone in my car or someone in another car or a pedestrian. A proverbial light went on and my invincible feeling has been vanquished.

touchfaith
08-17-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Getting pulled over by the cops wasn't a concrete demonstration that I wasn't fit to drive. They didn't pull me over for driving like an idiot, both were for speeding. This isn't a matter of stopping for financial reasons. It occurred to me that I very well could have injured/killed someone in my car or someone in another car or a pedestrian. A proverbial light went on and my invincible feeling has been vanquished.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points. We all know speeding while drunk is perfectly safe.

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

jakethebake
08-17-2005, 12:27 PM
Can anyone here say they've never crossed the line and driven when they shouldn't? If so, then good for you. I have, and never will again. It's stupid and irresponsible. Unfortunately, it usually takes a wake up call for people to really get that even if they know it.

For the OP, good to hear you've learned your lesson. Take financial responsibility for the mailboxes you destroyed. Going forward, make sure you have an extra $20 tucked in the back of your wallet for cabfare.

Arnfinn Madsen
08-17-2005, 12:29 PM
A guy decides to walk home after visiting his pregnant fiance. He has just finished college and has gotten a job he likes very much and looks forward to marrying his gf and moving to a nice house together. He is very loved by friends and family, especially since he takes so good care of his disabled grandmother. While walking on the pavement LetYouDown comes driving. Unborn child loses his father, gf loses future husband, disabled grandmother loses her best help.

2-outers fall on the river sometimes. Stop drunk driving, you idiot!

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-17-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone here say they've never crossed the line and driven when they shouldn't?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure there are people here who can say that, myself included.

touchfaith
08-17-2005, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone here say they've never crossed the line and driven when they shouldn't? If so, then good for you. I have, and never will again. It's stupid and irresponsible. Unfortunately, it usually takes a wake up call for people to really get that even if they know it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I've been pulled over twice while incredibly drunk

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems, this is a habit of his, not a mommentary judgment lapse.

I've woken up in my car at an elementary school (on the blacktop) surrounded by kids on recess to avoid driving home drunk.

jakethebake
08-17-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone here say they've never crossed the line and driven when they shouldn't?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure there are people here who can say that, myself included.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said, good for you. I wish it hadn't taken a wake up call for me. I'm glad I didn't hurt anyone or wreck anything. Not to downplay it's utter stupidity, but I think a lot of people do this when they're young and bulletproof. It's stupid but the important thing is to learn the lesson and NEVER DO IT AGAIN!!!

Soul Daddy
08-17-2005, 12:40 PM
Since you've never had to deal with any serious consequences from your actions, you're going to keep doing it if the situation presents itself. Therefore, the easiest solution is to simply leave the car at home when you go out drinking. Have a friend pick you up, take a cab, do whatever you need to do. If the car is there, you're going to convince yourself that you can drive.

poker-penguin
08-17-2005, 12:41 PM
I have never driven drunk, and have punched somebody in the face when he insisted he was going to drive (he could barely stand up).

Drunk driving kills people.

Hopefully it only kills the drunk driver, but all too often it kills people who are actually worth something.

You are a dumbass moron. Stop putting yourself in situations where driving drunk is even an option. Get a [censored] cab, or find a non-moron friend to be SOBER driver.

Dumbass.

Matt Williams
08-17-2005, 12:41 PM
Hey F-Wad, on Christmas Eve when I was 9 my family was hit by a dumbass drunk driver like you when we were coming home from church. My mom and one of my sisters spent 2 weeks in the hospital. If you are going to kill anyone drinking and driving, make sure it's you. I hate f'ing morons like you thinking "Oh, it's a 5 min. drive, I'm not that hammered." STFU and call a cab.

Smackdab
08-17-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It occurred to me that I very well could have injured/killed someone in my car or someone in another car or a pedestrian.

[/ QUOTE ]

Little slow on the uptake aren't you?
I live in the country with no bars close by. If I am out with friends and plan on getting ripped I make arrangements to either stay over with one of them or I pay the $50 it costs me roundtrip to cab home and back.

I can't believe it JUST occurred to you that driving impaired could have implications on unwitting innocent people.

You should be banned for blatant stupidity on 2 counts:

A) that this now just occurs to you
and
B) that you actually made this post in the first place

LetYouDown
08-17-2005, 01:10 PM
Well, I can't change the past. I made my mistakes, I'm owning them and I'm moving forward with a new appreciation for the dumb luck I've encountered along the way. I can only make a blanket apology to everyone that was endangered by my actions and not do it in the future. That's the plan.

ThaSaltCracka
08-17-2005, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, I can't change the past. I made my mistakes, I'm owning them and I'm moving forward with a new appreciation for the dumb luck I've encountered along the way. I can only make a blanket apology to everyone that was endangered by my actions and not do it in the future. That's the plan.

[/ QUOTE ]try to stick to it. You have been very lucky in the past.

BigBaitsim (milo)
08-17-2005, 01:32 PM
My wife defends drunk drivers sometimes. Trust me, the two hours she spends in court with you will not be cheap, assuming you are lucky enough not to kill someone.

If you do kill someone, my wife's fee will be the least of your concerns as you rot in jail, safe and secure with the knowledge that someone is dead and you have forever injured all the people close to that person.

How about you go to AA? You sound like you already think what happened was pretty funny, which is pathetic.

LetYouDown
08-17-2005, 01:47 PM
Where did I even hint that I found it funny? I will admit that I've taken it far too lightly in the past. Other than that, I'm owning up to what I've done and changing it.

As an aside, I don't drink very often. I never have a drink when I get home from work, unless it's a particularly awful day. I drank a lot in high school/college but now I only find myself drinking once a month or so...and generally in moderation. Last night was the first time I've been drunk in probably 2 months, and was the result of an undercurrent of stress that's been building within me. This situation obviously hasn't helped matters, but I'm the least of my concerns at this point.

djj6835
08-17-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, I can't change the past. I made my poor choices that became a valuable learning experience , I'm owning them and I'm moving forward with a new appreciation for the dumb luck I've encountered along the way. I can only make a blanket apology to everyone that was endangered by my actions and not do it in the future. That's the plan.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp, remember...there are no such things as mistakes.