PDA

View Full Version : Step SNGs = Normal SNGs + higher variance?

goingbroke
08-17-2005, 11:34 AM
I thought a little about the subject and thats my conclusion i dont have time to go into the specifics but does anyone agree or disagree with that statement?

freemoney
08-17-2005, 12:05 PM
disagree

testaaja
08-17-2005, 12:15 PM
Hello, I'm not trying to steal your topic, but I think my question is good in this one too.

Is it better to play turbo sngs because of the lesser rake? There is only about 6 or 7 rounds and normal is 10. If I play normal sngs on the level I play, it's like 24%~ rake. I think it's HUGE. Any thoughts? Mind to share?
Thanks.

jon462
08-17-2005, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hello, I'm not trying to steal your topic, but I think my question is good in this one too.

Is it better to play turbo sngs because of the lesser rake? There is only about 6 or 7 rounds and normal is 10. If I play normal sngs on the level I play, it's like 24%~ rake. I think it's HUGE. Any thoughts? Mind to share?
Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]
its better to play normal sngs because party skins dont offer turbo sngs.

citanul
08-17-2005, 12:28 PM
hm, i guess that would depend on which definition of variance you actually want to use, some statistical one or some random poker one that gets thrown around.

if you buy in in the steps on some non top tier, you can play around for a long time never losing your buyin, often. this sort of is "variance" minimizing. then hey, if you cash one big, you get a HUGE payoff for your buyin, which is "variance" maximizing. meh.

so yeah, if you state what you actually want variance to mean in this case, that would be good.

citanul

08-17-2005, 12:38 PM
I think he means that you hit it big rarely and lose it all more often although in the very long run the roi is about the same.
Just for kicks I played a step1 over the weekend and won then placed second in step2 during my lunch hour yesterday. So now that I am on to step3 I am starting to take it a little more seriously. I watched some step3 and step4 tables and they still seemed pretty soft...nothing spectacular that I could see. I have not watched step5 tables yet but I would imagine that they are rock solid since lots of strong players just buy-in to pick on players like me...which takes me back to the first point. I think the ROI on steps would be much lower for the average player since the field at the final table will be much stronger than you are used to.
Party should have something called fish steps (or salmon ladder /images/graemlins/wink.gif ) where you can only get to the final table by playing all of the steps.

jon462
08-17-2005, 01:17 PM
party has "beginners" cash games now! I tried to join and it told me i was not a beginner anymore (I have had plenty of time to practice lol). THIS IS NOT GOOD!

tshort
08-17-2005, 01:23 PM
It should be easy to see that your ROI should be greater than your normal SNG ROI. If you are playing to maximize your $/hour, steps are less profitable than SNG games.

citanul
08-17-2005, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It should be easy to see that your ROI should be greater than your normal SNG ROI. If you are playing to maximize your $/hour, steps are less profitable than SNG games.

[/ QUOTE ]

you really can't say anything like that with certainty i don't think.

i think that a good player starting on a short bankroll buying in straight to the step 1s could very possibly have a better hourly rate (though a higher ROR possibly) than if they just played the 10+1s.

citanul