PDA

View Full Version : Help with hypothetical in OMaha Hi

08-17-2005, 10:02 AM
Hi. You guys are a big help. My question is along the lines of odds.

Suppose you are holding: 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif

You are in the BB.

LP limps and SB completes. 3 players to the flop.

Flop: 9/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif pot=1.50
SB checks
Hero bets .50
LP calls
SB raises $1
Hero ?

You are probably a favorite here but forget that for a second.

You know that SB only raises with made hands like straights, flushes, bottom set,middle set, and top set. There's no straights or flushes here so you put him on either a bottom set or top set. You give yourself 50 % to be ahead.

How do you go about evaluating whether to call here ? Do you think about what possible holdings raiser could have ? So like I said I'm 50 % here ? And LP called so who knows what he has maybe an inside straight draw. You figure that you might be outdrawn 20 % of the time by the river with both players in. So you give yourself 30 % to win . If I get odds of 2 to 1 or better I should call ? Or is it that I'm 50 % to be ahead here so if I get even money (1:1) then should I call ? Which is more correct ? Thanks. I think it is 2 to 1 because we need the odds that will be ahead by the river, right ?

sy_or_bust
08-17-2005, 11:52 AM
A lot of times you're overthinking this situation. You're probably ahead on the flop, but rarely by all that much. SB's raise is often a wrap hand like KJTx or JT8x. Sometimes you're facing QQxx/55xx, and rarely 2-pair or worse, judging by SB's choice to checkraise. LP could have anything at this level.

This is a small pot. You can call the raise, getting the overcall from LP, and raise SB on a good turn card like 6/images/graemlins/club.gif. This will force LP to fold or almost certainly make a mistake by calling, and SB will be forced to call (if he reraises, he really has to have QQ unless he's a donk, which he may be, though at higher levels you can fold).

On the river, you can often check it down. This depends a lot on SB's hand range and calling standards, as well as the card that falls. But if you play it this way, river a king, and check it down, you might lose the pot but still outplay SB. If you river another blank, you may want to bet if SB will call weakly, but generally you don't have to bet either since the majority of calling hands are better than yours.

timprov
08-17-2005, 05:34 PM
You can't really evaluate Omaha hands like that. This isn't Crazy Pineapple, where you're committed to which two cards on the flop. Your two danglers are essentially worthless, whereas if he has 55JT or 55Qx you're not all that far ahead. If he has QQxx you're essentially drawing dead.