PDA

View Full Version : My first post in SSNL -- AQs

08-17-2005, 06:42 AM
Hey guys,

I'm normally a limit player, post in micro, small stakes, and shorthanded forums (under a different alias), and I'm trying to improve my NL game a bit.

I know exactly how I would play this in limit, but yeah, sorry if this is a simple hand.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG+2 ($18.20)
MP1 ($57.35)
Hero ($23.95)
MP3 ($35.65)
CO ($12.80)
Button ($24.07)
SB ($19.75)
BB ($27.95)
UTG ($10)
UTG+1 ($22)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises to $1.1</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $1.10, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls $1.10, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.85.

Flop: ($4.75) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1</font>, Button folds, UTG+1 calls $1, UTG+2 calls $1.

Turn: ($7.75) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($7.75) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets $7.4</font>, Hero folds, UTG+1 folds.

Final Pot: $15.15

Flop bet was a probe and also possibly buy a free turn card for my gutshot. Overall, his whole play reeked of slowplay to me. How's preflop?

08-17-2005, 07:28 AM
Sure feels like a set of kings.

You have to fold to that raise preflop. Caling there can't lead to anything good. And your flop bet was terrible. Buying a free card is generally a limit move. It's not very effective in NL and when you only bet 1/5 the pot, you're practically begging everyone to reraise you huge and push you off the hand. I don't necessarily mind the bet though, just the size. Once the preflop raiser checks, I don't hate the idea of betting the pot and hoping to take it right there. Having said that, with that many people in the pot and that board, I'm checking and hoping to get a free card.

Betting ended up getting you a free card here, but in the long run betting 1/5 the pot to buy a free card is a terrible idea in NL. Check or bet like you mean it.

Ojo_Rojo
08-17-2005, 07:29 AM
Welcome to the forum!

I guess its player dependent, but I would fold preflop. You're likely to be dominated from someone raising in that position.

I would probably check this flop, and hope for a free card.

Actually, I'm worried about your flop bet. What did you hope to acheive by only betting a dollar? No-ones going to fold, and youre not getting a free turn, infact you could be making it more expensive the times you are checkraised. If you want to bet, bet the pot.

I love playing against folks who minbet their draws, it's so easy.

Good luck,

Ojo_Rojo

wtfsvi
08-17-2005, 08:07 AM
Fold preflop against most villains, reraise against preflop overaggressives.

Bet the flop for a real amount if you think he's weak and will fold, check if not. This board has lots of strength for the pf-raiser to represent, so when he isn't representing it, that's a bit suspiscious. I'd go with the check against most. Turn check is good and river fold is good. You're doing no better than splitting the pot here.

swolfe
08-17-2005, 12:18 PM
i don't like your flop bet. too little to steal the pot and you don't really have enough outs for this to be a "good" semibluff.