PDA

View Full Version : When do I fold???

wdbaker
03-30-2003, 08:58 PM
Here is my question, if you have AA - JJ either poket pair or hit on the flop, when do you fold to straight of flush draw.
example: AJs /forums/images/icons/heart.gif and the flop comes A73 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 's I bet and then am raised, do I check call to the river, do i fold, etc....

are the rules diff for str8, board pairs, etc...

I'm still kinda retarded at this and need some simple rules of thumb for playing flop on in these tricky situations, the S&M stuff just tends to confuse me most of the time at this point cause its always "sometimes" or "depending", I think this is the one place where I am leaking and if I can patch up I'll do okay til I get the rest, I have the preflop thing down cold.

Thanks for your patience and help
wdbaker

elysium
03-30-2003, 09:04 PM
hi wd,
reraise the flop.

Ulysses
03-30-2003, 09:28 PM
hi wd,
reraise the flop.

What? How can we learn the way from answers like this? Why should he reraise? What if he is re-raised? What should he do on the turn and river? What style of play should he use against different types of opponents? When should he rope? When should he go mandatory? This new posting style of yours is no help to those of us who are just starting to understand.

34TheTruth34
03-30-2003, 11:05 PM
reraise the flop.

This is great advice. If you have AJ with no clubs and the flop comes ace-high all clubs you should always reraise the flop. You'll never be against a made flush or a better hand like a set or two pair or anything. Since elysium didn't really go into why you should always reraise the flop, we'll go with "because they're always bluffing or have middle pair". There you go. elsysium figured it out.

P.S. Who is a better poster, elysium or Dr. Richard Kimble??? Just be careful what you learn...

Nottom
03-30-2003, 11:16 PM
I'll go with elysium since Dr. RK's responce would have been "fold pre-flop"

Ulysses
03-30-2003, 11:29 PM
Well, in all seriousness, I believe elysium is correct here that the best "default" move is to reraise. Obviously a lot of factors come into play when making the right decision, but with no other info to go on, I think reraising w/ AJ on a single-tone A73 board is right.

Also, in all seriousness, I think there's no question that elysium is a better poster than Dr. Richard Kimble. And that goes for all of poker content, humor value, and style.

Homer
03-30-2003, 11:38 PM
Hey elysium, what about folding preflop?! After all, you stated that I am "not allowed" to play AJs, so why should wdbaker be allowed? Frankly, I am a little hurt.

-- Homer

Ulysses
03-30-2003, 11:43 PM
Homer,

Once you've posted some hands that show some discipline and good play, I am sure elysium will put you back on AJs. For now, worry about your own game and quit worrying about superior players who are allowed to play a wider range of hands.

Homer
03-30-2003, 11:49 PM
Damn, I'm in trouble here. I can't tell if you are serious or if your wit is just drier than mine. /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif

-- Homer

JTG51
03-31-2003, 12:59 AM
I don't mean to speak for Ulysses here (actually, I guess I do or I wouldn't be...) but don't worry Homer. Ulysses has been having a lot of fun with elysium's posts on the high stakes forum. He posted a beautiful imitation the other day.

And since when does Homer J. Simpson have dry wit?

Ulysses
03-31-2003, 01:10 AM
From another elysium post: you should not play for money at this time. forget about your game. you must get the fundementals down. it doesn't do any good to comment on this hand. that's bad advice for you at this time. the best advice is to do what you're doing now, learning at 2+2, but staying out of games for money.

You should feel fortunate, Homer. Elysium has just taken you off AJs and a few other hands. At least you're still allowed to play for real money.

BB King's
03-31-2003, 04:52 AM
homer ... you have to listen when prominent posters give you good advices. homer, go to your room and re-read hpfp and top at least 3 times. homer, i know you'll be bored doing it ... but homer you have to do it. are you listenig homer.

don that ... maybe we will allow you to play AJs - but only on the button behind a minimum of 5 limpers.