PDA

View Full Version : College Football First Week

flatline
08-17-2005, 03:49 AM
I am a terrible at sports betting. That said, I'm still going to bet some games the first week. Any lines jump out to you guys? At first glance, I'm looking at taking:

Kentucky +22
Oregon -9.5
Utah -8
Texas A&M 0
Florida -22

Thoughts?

08-17-2005, 12:08 PM
It would help if you posted the other team they are playing against. People (by people I mean me) are way to lazy to look up who those teams play and then to post to a response.

flatline
08-17-2005, 01:45 PM
You're right, that was a pretty lazy way for me to post. Let's try this again:

Kentucky(home) +22 Louisville
Hey, Kentucky may suck, but they are in the SEC and getting 22 points at home.

Oregon -9.5 Houston(home)
Houston is terrible

Utah -8 Arizona(home)
I don't know where Arizona is gonna upgrade their offense and this looks like at least a two score win for Utah

Texas A&M 0 Clemson(home)
A&M is the better team, I think enough to overcome Clemson's HFA.

Florida(home) -22 Wyoming
Florida is loaded. Swamp. New coach. Statement.

Anyways, I realize that if I don't do a ton of research and really understand the game (which I don't) I can't make +EV picks. I'm just doing this to juice up the weekend. I'd appreciate if someone would slap me if any of these picks look overly stupid.

sekrah
08-17-2005, 01:58 PM
Want a lock?

Penn State -23.5 over South Florida.

Bet on PSU here and laugh to the bank.

lastsamurai
08-17-2005, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Want a lock?

[/ QUOTE ]
Penn state? um...when was the last time they had a decent team?

I like your florida pick and thats a team i am going to keep a close eye on. urban meyer is is a spurrior type coach who knows what the spread is and knows he needs to cover to get BCS votes. College football is really hard to handicapp in the beginning of the season...wait until week 4 to figure out who the pretenders vs and contenders are.

Black Aces 518
08-17-2005, 03:00 PM
I think Florida is pretty solid, and KY is pretty good too. Avoid road favorites and you won't hurt yourself in the long run. I don't like TAMU at all, Oregon is a bit better. I like Zona at home, they may win outright.

moose47
08-17-2005, 03:17 PM
South Carolina -19.5 vs. Central Florida

It's Steve Spurrier's first game back in college. It's on national television. He will run that scoreboard as high as it will go. UCF was horrible last year and wont be much better this year.

Vince Young
08-17-2005, 06:07 PM
Love Florida -22, hate aTm against Clemson. My Big XII lock of the week is Baylor -4.5 at SMU.

RiverTheNuts
08-17-2005, 10:17 PM
Holy crap... where are these lines?? I will put 1/3rd of my poker bankroll on the florida -22

That game is going to be closer to 65-7 than it will be 28-7

Also, I would stay away from the Utah game, they lost much, and we (Arizona) are improved in all aspects of the game, I dont think its clear enough to bet on

kdog
08-17-2005, 11:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Holy crap... where are these lines?? I will put 1/3rd of my poker bankroll on the florida -22

That game is going to be closer to 65-7 than it will be 28-7

[/ QUOTE ]
It is Florida's first game under a new coach. Wyoming returns 19 starters from a 7-5 team. I'll pass on laying 22 here.

RiverTheNuts
08-19-2005, 10:10 AM
All of this you say is true, but the fact remains that it is still WYOMING..

Leak will finish with over 350 yards of passing and 5+ TDs... bank it

craig r
08-19-2005, 10:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Want a lock?

[/ QUOTE ]

wooooo...i was getting nervous we weren't going to get any locks this season. I am glad it has finally happened.

craig

scalf
08-19-2005, 02:45 PM
/images/graemlins/grin.gif river:

what do you think about ucf vs south carolina;

spurrier, a coach who likes to run up score vs. a team that did not win a game last year

gl

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ken_AA
08-19-2005, 06:45 PM
you can get oregon at -8.5 at advantagesportsbetting.com

also, don't you think there is something fishy with that South Carolina line? everyone (including my mom) knows spurrier likes to run it up. So why is it only 19?

Ken

moose47
08-19-2005, 08:27 PM
The only thing I can think of is that UCF has a good history of keeping games close with big named schools. While they have only managed to beat one of them, it seems that they are in it well into the second half in all of these games. The problem is they are going to be awful this year. They were awful last year and there will little if any improvement this year. Our offensive line is non-existent as usual, with numerous recent injuries. I just can't imagine that this game will be kept within 30 points, let alone 20.

08-21-2005, 02:25 AM
Ok, I'll play devil's advocate on your picks. I actually won't choose what to play until next week, but the first week of college ball is usually a great place to make money.

1. Louisville beat UK 28-0 last year, and they were on the road. They lost some players, but I think Kentucky is much worse and my first instinct would be to take UofL up to 4 touchdowns and feel good.

2. Houston is not horrible. Kolb is a year older, and Briles is one of the best coaches most people know. There is a recent "scandal" down there, but I have a feeling they'll show up well. Oregon should be better this year, and has more talent than Houston, so I like your pick, but I probably won't play this game.

3. Utah loses a bunch (Urban AND the OC who went to UNLV), and Mike Stoops has been gameplanning for this game for a year. I stay away from this one also.

4. Your A & M pick is my favorite of the bunch, and I'll probably play that game if it's really a Pick next week. The youth at cornerback for the Ags worries me (especially with Whitehurst having been there forever). The Clemson defense is pretty good this year. But, the only factor really going in Clemson's favor is HFA (like you mentioned), because it's a night game on ABC. I take TAMU.

5. Wyoming is good, and Joe Glenn knows Urban and his system (of course, the reverse is true also). I avoid this game also. I think UF will cover, but I won't be surprised if they don't. I think there will be better picks to be made.

Just my opinions.

hobbes9324
08-21-2005, 04:23 AM
I like Northwestern -18 - Ohio is pretty weak, and NU returns its key players - if they have any hopes of going to a bowl, they need the game......