PDA

View Full Version : Preflop raising in $25NL

08-17-2005, 03:37 AM
I'm a recent entry into the cash game scene after rougly doubling my initial deposit in low stakes tournaments. I'm looking for some advice here in my transition to cash games and this is my question/scenario.

In traditional tourny play a raise to 3-4BB is your traditional "remove the garbage" raise. It signals you have a hand you like and sets you up against other higher tiered hands.

However in my transition to $25NL ($0.25 is the BB) tables I've noticed that a 3-4BB preflop raise is almost ignored by many of the players. I reason this is because psychologically people don't have a fear of betting a dollar to see a flop. On numerous occasions I have made such a raise (with a strong starting hand) and ended up against an opponent with a very "garbage" hand I.E. split unsuited cards, 7To etc.

So my question is this. Is it even worth raising the 3-4BB with a strong hand knowing that garbage hands are going to cold call? It can be hard playing a pocket pair with only 2 outs when your opponents can be holding the entire range of cards.

So what is the solution here? Should I not raise at all? Keep raising 3-4BB? Make a larger raise?

BZ_Zorro
08-17-2005, 03:51 AM
Most will tell you raise 4BB + 1BB per limper, or 6BB+ 1BB per limper. AT 25NL I just raise 4BB every time, with excellent results. If it's a loose/crazy table raise to $2 with your monsters.

Most of the players on $25 are awful, so if they're calling assume they have something weak/a draw, if they're raising (especially the turn), just fold your 1 pair hands or see a cheap showdown. Big bets on the river (especially sudden ones) are an easy fold.

rikz
08-17-2005, 04:03 AM
Yes. Just raise more. A decent rule of thumb I've seen here is to open raise for 4xBB + 1BB/limper. So, at NL .10/.25 ($25 max), with 5 limpers to you on the button with JJ, for example, make it at least $2.5 to go.

Raising just $1 into a field of 5 callers, for example, will probably get most of those guys to call with anything they limped in with. Raising to $.75 (3xBB) looks silly and won't get any respect at all.

jacknine
08-17-2005, 04:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I've noticed that a 3-4BB preflop raise is almost ignored by many of the players.

[/ QUOTE ]
...isn't that just why these games are profitable? Keep making those bets preflop and don't bet anything less then the pot on the flop - because then all of a sudden the numbers tend to get scary for most players.

ajmargarine
08-17-2005, 04:42 AM
You know, things can become table dependent alot in this game. If you are opening the betting, start at 4xBB. If you are getting more play than you want, make it 5xBB next time. Go to 6xBB if need be. I imagine you are raising preflop because you want to get some preflop value for your big hands. Raise it up to what the table can bear and still get some play. I don't play this limit, but if like Zorro said you get play if you PFR to $2: go for it.

4xBB + 1BB per limper is a great guide when there are limpers involved and you want to raise preflop. If that's not doing the job, add a couple of BB's.