PDA

View Full Version : New player...need help and lots of it

08-17-2005, 03:01 AM
***** Hand History for Game 2330429695 *****
15/30 TourneyTexasHTGameTable (NL) (Tournament 13756498) - Fri Jul 08 14:51:24 EDT 2005
Table Table 12332 (Real Money) -- Seat 4 is the button
Total number of players : 8
Seat 1: essenelle (755)
Seat 2: Growl (785)
Seat 4: VILLAIN (605)
Seat 6: hardcore2808 (2385)
Seat 7: dhtotman (950)
Seat 8: HERO (800)
Seat 9: Quickone11 (770)
Seat 10: river_suks (950)
hardcore2808 posts small blind (10)
dhtotman posts big blind (15)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to HERO [ Kh, Ad ]
HERO raises (75) to 75
Quickone11 folds.
river_suks folds.
essenelle folds.
Growl folds.
VILLAIN raises (135) to 135
hardcore2808 folds.
dhtotman folds.
HERO calls (60)
** Dealing Flop ** : [ Ah, Td, Ts ]
HERO checks.
VILLAIN checks.
** Dealing Turn ** : [ 2h ]
HERO bets (200)
VILLAIN raises (470) to 470
VILLAIN is all-In.
HERO calls (270)
** Dealing River ** : [ 9d ]
Creating Main Pot with $1235 with gypking
** Summary **
Main Pot: 1235 |
Board: [ Ah Td Ts 2h 9d ]
VILLAIN balance 1235, bet 605, collected 1235, net +630 [ Jc Tc ] [ three of a kind, tens -- Ah,Jc,Tc,Td,Ts ]
HERO balance 195, lost 605 [ Kh Ad ] [ two pairs, aces and tens -- Ad,Ah,Kh,Td,Ts ]

So yeah...I realize that calling the all in was a mistake, my only justification was the huge pot...a bad excuse, I know. Is there any way I could have avoided this, or played better pf? post? I went on to take 3rd in the tourney, but I can't keep taking huge hits like that if i want to improve my game...help!

Paulson
08-17-2005, 03:11 AM
I definitely don't see a problem with your play. The flop was great for you, and I'm guessing you checked to slowplay the hand or go for a delayed continuation bet. His reraise all in is an easy call, because in these buy ins these guys will turn up AQ, KK, QQ, and even AJ in that spot.

You were getting a 3.5:1 call at the AI point and you only have to win that around 20% of the time, which you will definitely do in this situation at those lvls
Just an example of a lucky donk.

08-17-2005, 03:24 AM
Im guessin this is a 10+1...

I would have limped with AK in early position, and push when anyone raised. Someone who knew what they were doing suggested this, and it seems to be working well for me.

As you have raised 75...

Im a little tempted to say push preflop but I think its wrong so early in the tourney.

Calling isnt a bad move IMO, but I would play the rest of the way VERY VERY carefully. Id think check calling is a better idea than betting becuase no one is going to call alot of chips off here WITHOUT a 10. Let them bet at you with a bluff, a pocket pair, or a weaker ace instead. If its checkd to the river id put out a small value bet.

Hope this advice is worth something, Brian

08-17-2005, 03:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Im guessin this is a 10+1...

I would have limped with AK in early position, and push when anyone raised. Someone who knew what they were doing suggested this, and it seems to be working well for me.

As you have raised 75...

Im a little tempted to say push preflop but I think its wrong so early in the tourney.

Calling isnt a bad move IMO, but I would play the rest of the way VERY VERY carefully. Id think check calling is a better idea than betting becuase no one is going to call alot of chips off here WITHOUT a 10. Let them bet at you with a bluff, a pocket pair, or a weaker ace instead. If its checkd to the river id put out a small value bet.

Hope this advice is worth something, Brian

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I think limp reraising allin preflop is horrible in low stakes because all pocket pairs will call you, and you've got your money all in in early levels with an inferior hand. Also, in these levels, there's no guarantee that someone calling a lot of chips has a 10, there's not even a guarantee that they have an A or a 10.

I think you played fine. Especially considering you slowplayed on the flop--which I think was OK, although you're making a mistake if villain has KQ, KJ, or QJ--there was no way getting off this hand in these limits. Villin is more likely to have flopped an A with a worse kicker than a T because there are 2 cards of each, but way fewer preflop calling hands with a T in them. Play this hand 1000 times and you'll come out on time.