PDA

View Full Version : I want to learn Limit Holdem

cat923
08-17-2005, 02:54 AM
I have played online for about a year. I have only played No Limit Holdem. I have used Poker Tracker the entire time with GT+ and PAHUD. My win rate of BBs is in the acceptable range. I have experienced little variance.

I am sucessful at ring $50 NLHE as well as at NL MTTs and SNGs generally in the $5 and $10 buyin range. I have finished in the final table a number of times in MTTs, but never 1st. My best finish has been 3rd.

I would like to learn limit holdem. I would like to start at micro stakes for learning purposes. I have a decent bankroll of mid 4 figures.

I have purchased Slansky's "Small Stakes Holdem" and can't make a lot of headway with it.

I would appreciate suggestions as to limits and sites on which I should play.

Any other learning suggestions would be appreciated.

cat923

ArturiusX
08-17-2005, 02:59 AM
Limit is a draw game. Always remember that. You can onl exhibit a certain amount of control, you must deal with that.

Read SSHE, playing party .50/1, post some hands and you shouldn't go astray.

ThaHero
08-17-2005, 03:03 AM
Try to at least read SSHE once. You say you are good at %50 NLHE so you have some kind of poker knowledge at least.

Read these forums, post hands, and that should be enough. Also, I too would suggest starting at .50/1 on party.

numeri
08-17-2005, 03:05 AM
First, I'd suggest reading the FAQ (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1659321&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1). There's lots of good stuff there.

That said, where to start depends on your comfort level. As a wimp, I started in 0.02/0.04 and actually worked my way up. It sounds like you're way ahead of me, so that's probably a bad idea. If you're interested in using bonuses, Paradise and Party would be the best places to start. Since you're beginning, I wouldn't go above 0.50/1 initially.

You've started on the right track. Limit and NL are very different games. Keep studying SSH, reading and replying to posts here, and starting out with some hands at a level you're comfortable with.

Oh, and a good starting hand guide is crucial. I use this one (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=999097&page=0&view=collap sed&sb=7&o=14&fpart=1).

Good luck!

08-17-2005, 03:21 AM
For a beginner to limit, I'd recommend reading Winning Low-Limit Hold'Em by Lee Jones first. Once you understand those concepts, move on to the more complicated Small Stakes Hold'Em by Miller+Sklansky. You absolutely must read and re-read Small Stakes Hold'Em to grasp all the concepts. You also must apply them by playing thousands of hands.

08-17-2005, 03:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For a beginner to limit, I'd recommend reading Winning Low-Limit Hold'Em by Lee Jones first. Once you understand those concepts, move on to the more complicated Small Stakes Hold'Em by Miller+Sklansky. You absolutely must read and re-read Small Stakes Hold'Em to grasp all the concepts. You also must apply them by playing thousands of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since he's got experience in hold em already, I think he can start with Small Stakes.

Webster
08-17-2005, 07:12 AM
I think the biggest thing to remember is that you can't push people out of pots with average cards. I see many NL players tha tare TOO aggressive and when they get called down they can't believe that you were not forced to fold.

Limit is more of a mathimatical game.

Grinderswarehouse - NOT just another BLOG (http://www.grinderswarehouse.com)

UATrewqaz
08-17-2005, 10:43 AM
A few thoughts for ya.

1. Limit hold em, particularly low-limit hold em, is a SHOWDOWN game. This means typically to win the pot you're going to have to show down the best hand.

2. Forget about bluffing, especially at low limit.

3. YOu'll have to learn how to protect your hand better. Unlike no limit you cannot bet X to offer Y odds, sometimes only a check-raise will protect your hand.

4. Learn to bet your draws for value. Pot odds are much easier to guestimate on future streets in limit and thus you can sweeten the pot when you have a good draw, since there is no danger of somebody giving you terrible odds to chase it later.

tiltaholic
08-17-2005, 10:46 AM
another suggestion to keep in mind:

stack size is irrelevant.

GrunchCan
08-17-2005, 10:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But don't ever let yourself get all-in.

jrz1972
08-17-2005, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since he's got experience in hold em already, I think he can start with Small Stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's already said he doesn't understand SSHE. I'm guessing he's done okay playing low-level NL but doesn't have that strong a foundation in basic poker theory yet, so staring with something like Jones or Hilger or Miller's new book would be okay.

Wetdog
08-17-2005, 11:13 AM
I wouldn't start him with Jones now that GSIH is available.

bozlax
08-17-2005, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless your opponent is severely short-stacked. Sometimes.

A_K
08-17-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto. The Lee Jones book is great. Read it, play a little, then dive in to Small Stakes Hold'Em. Rember this: limit is HARD. Harder to protect your hand, smaller payoffs on big hands, etc. Personally, I've had much more success at No-limit and tourneys than limit ring games. I keep playing the limit ring games for the challenge.

Speaking of Jones, I see that he has a brand new edition (3rd?) out. Anyone read the new edition?

08-17-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
3. YOu'll have to learn how to protect your hand better. Unlike no limit you cannot bet X to offer Y odds, sometimes only a check-raise will protect your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

All 4 of UA's point were very good, and this one is particularly valuable for a converting NL player. One of the more interesting things that you see in limit as opposed to NL is the amount of pots where you and your opponents will be betting or calling with the worse hand at the moment and it will be the correct decision.

If you bet TPTK, for instance, players with the nut flush or outside straight draws may follow you all the way to the river, getting proper odds the whole time. Try not to get frustrated by this initially. You'll win enough of these pots against players playing weak draws in the micros and you'll draw out enough yourself when you get the right odds.

cat923
08-20-2005, 03:15 AM
Thanks to all of you who replied. I have taken out my copy of SSHE and will spend the weekend with it.

cat923