PDA

View Full Version : Legitimate change of pace or donk???

ChuckyB
08-17-2005, 01:53 AM
Just made this move in a PP $6.
Opponent is nothing special, made a button min-raise early with two limpers...beginner stuff.

When I hit the ace on the flop, I always push and try to take it right there. This would be my last $840 into the $1200 pot. I tried changing it up to get all his stack, believing he wouldn't call an all-in right there.

I didn't make him for an ace because of the cold-call pre-flop. And the rest of the board was nothing too scary.

Was it a good idea/bad idea?

Seat 2 is the button
Total number of players : 3
Seat 7: Justo74 ( $1725 )
Seat 10: sgloon ( $4835 )
Seat 2: HERO( $1440 )
Blinds(75/150)
No Small Blind
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to HERO [ 8c Ad ]
sgloon folds.
HERO raises [600].
Justo74 calls [450].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 4h, As, Td ]
Justo74 checks.
HERO bets [150]

Of course there's the legitimate question why I'm changing gears in a single-table SnG...but I want to be mysterious when it comes to a real tournament.

axeshigh
08-17-2005, 02:05 AM
Ugh, just push preflop. Or push on the flop.

mlagoo
08-17-2005, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ugh, just push preflop. Or push on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

what he said.

multiple gears are unnecessary and counterproductive in a $6 SNG. Especially with <10xBB. Just push preflop.

08-17-2005, 02:44 AM
I would also have pushed the flop. You're already ITM on the SNG and you don't need to focus so much on outplaying your opponent. Hit your hand, put your chips in, either he calls you and you win a lot (most of the time) or he folds and you still win.

Paulson
08-17-2005, 03:17 AM
Your +EV edge to push is minimal here

raptor517
08-17-2005, 03:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just made this move in a PP $6.

[/ QUOTE ]

tee hee. a 'move'. ok, i dont HATE raising here, but if im raising im shoving. its a 6 dollar sng. people are clueless. you can check and see a flop if you wish.. thats not terrible either.. however, about 87.39% of the time im shoving here. holla

ChuckyB
08-17-2005, 03:56 PM
What is it about raising that you don't like in this spot? I figured I have 10x BB and could get away from the hand if I had to. If I ran into a push, I could fold...though it would hurt my soul to do so.

Would it be more than a check/push decision for you if this were a better game than the $6? From what I gather being around the board, you play at a much higher level than me. At your SnG's is there room for other plays? Or is this one cut-and-dried?

ChuckyB
08-17-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your +EV edge to push is minimal here

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you explain that a little more? I assume you're talking pre-flop...but I want to make sure.

And if the edge is "minimal", are you saying a check pre-flop would be a reasonable play as well?

ChuckyB
08-17-2005, 03:59 PM
If this were a full table midway through a tournament, and you felt the need to accumulate some chips, would this be a play you'd consider? Or is it just poo?

edit: As I wrote that I'm thinking a pair of aces isn't a real strong hand to slowplay...even though there are no good draws on the flop.

ChuckyB
08-17-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would also have pushed the flop. You're already ITM on the SNG and you don't need to focus so much on outplaying your opponent. Hit your hand, put your chips in, either he calls you and you win a lot (most of the time) or he folds and you still win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you have made the raise pre-flop, or checked, or pushed, or made a different raise?

08-17-2005, 09:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you have made the raise pre-flop, or checked, or pushed, or made a different raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a slightly akward place to be in. With your stack size, a push preflop is better than a preflop raise. It also depends on how your opponent reacts to min raises. I don't like your raise here because you practically commit your stack before the flop. If you are going to do that, you might as well be going all in. Did you plan to fold that hand if the flop missed you, and leave yourself with t800? Depending on my opponent, my choices with that hand in that position are going to be 1) checking, especially if I know he is a LAG, and then reraising, 2) minraising , 3) going all in. Raising a third of your stack is an uncomfortable thing for me when I only have 10 BB left.

the_joker
08-17-2005, 09:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
just poo

[/ QUOTE ]