PDA

View Full Version : WSOP Circuit Event Hand Analysis question

08-17-2005, 01:48 AM
I just finish watching this week wsop circuit event that was aired on ESPN. One particular hand got me scratching me head so I hope you guys can give me some insight about this hand. This is also a 4 part question so here it go.

Question 1

One player raised in early position. Then player A picked up pocket kings and re-raise. Player B who is a pretty tight player picked up pocket queens with one diamond and decides to just call. The original early raiser now folds. The flop was A,A,8 with two dimonds. Now if you were player A and is first to act what would you do in this situation?

Question #2

In the real life situation Player A actually checked and Player B bet about $40,000 with the average chip stack at about $200,000. Please remember that player B is a realtively tight player. Now what should Player A do if he has about an average stack of chips?

Question 3

The third question is what if Player A decides to take the lead and bet $40,000 after the flop. Then what is the correct play for Player B to make?

Question 4

The last question is should player A took the lead to bet out at the pot instead of checking to player B and giving him the advantage of making a bet?

I know that this is a pretty long question. But it is a question that I can't seem to figure out the right answer to so I hope some of you good hold'em player can give me some of your opinions on this matter. Thanks

Sadat X
08-17-2005, 12:50 PM
Here goes, I'm pretty new to NL, but I did play the WSOP ME last month so I have a *little* championship experience.

Q1: Most of the time bet 1/2 to 2/3 the pot, other times check-call the flop and bet the turn or river. The kings played this very weak in the broadcast.

Q2: Call and try to pick up the pot with a 1/2 pot bet on the turn or river. Basically, the tricky play here is to mimic a slowplay of trip aces, but being out of posiition puts you in a tight spot.

Q3: Raise 2/3 pot is probably the standard play for him, especially given his tight image. His position also allows him to get player A off 99-KK with a big raise. He also has the option to call and see what A does on the turn. If A makes a big bet, he can probably fold safely.

Q4: I really think checking the flop is the way to go, but you have to show some kind of aggression after the flop at some point. You can't assume anything in hold'em, especially that your lone opponent has one of two aces remaining in the deck.

tripdad
08-17-2005, 03:17 PM
1. i cannot put player b on an A being a tight player. the only hand that would make sense for him to have with an Ace is AK, and i have 2 K's, so that makes it unlikely. accordingly, i would lead for 1/2 the pot, go with my initial read, and bust out should player b actually have the Ace.

2. call. i'd also check the turn hoping player b makes another bet.

3. player b, by calling the re-raise of player a instead of pushing, is waiting for a little flop with no Ace to push. that the Ace is there, he would likely fold.

4. yes.

5. player A made an even worse play the very next televised hand when he pushd with JJ on an A high board. he felt he layed down a winner with his KK, and that put him on tilt.

cheers!