PDA

View Full Version : please troubleshoot my xbox live

TStoneMBD
08-17-2005, 01:47 AM
sorry for posting this crap but i really need the help. i really need to pwn some noobs and you guys may be my only gateway to my noobpwning activity.

i have the xbox live disk, but i cannot connect to xbox live.

i have no routers and no firewalls. i tried hooking up xbox live with my previous ISP of roadrunner. my method was to unplug the ethernet cord from the back of pc and plug it into the xbox which is connected to the modem.

i have since switched to comcast and have a different modem and a different ethernet cord.

when i try to connect to xbox live, it tells me that my cables are ready, but then it tells me that it could not connect to xbox live. i went into the diagnosis and changed my ip address from automatic detection to manual and entered in my correct ip address. no luck.

when i was with time warner, i tried to call xbox live tech support and got an idiot who didnt know how to help me. she told me that i needed an "RJ45 ethernet cord" and that she had no idea if my ISP provides that. isnt an ethernet cord an ethernet cord? are my ethernet cords really unsatisfactory? she basically told me that she couldnt help me until i figured out whether i had an RJ45 ethernet cord or i went out and purchased one. i asked her where i could buy one. "radioshack?" she said she had no idea.

i tried to lookup what an RJ45 ethernet cord was and ive come to the conclusion that she just didnt know how to help and that i was screwed. i figured that it might work now that i have a new isp and still have no luck.

AngryCola
08-17-2005, 01:50 AM
Sometimes the cable is the issue. I remember someone having the exact some problem in the past on 2+2. It was solved simply by buying a new CAT cable.

Honestly, it could be a number of things, but cables are cheap and easy.

send_the_msg
08-17-2005, 02:34 AM
you usually need to plug in the xbox, then reboot the cable modem. it needs to resend the ip to the xbox, i think that's why.

smoore
08-17-2005, 01:23 PM
if the previous suggestion of rebooting the cable modem doesn't work it's because of a MAC address (hardware address issue) probably. Each node has it's own MAC and some cable companies restrict users to one machine per account. The way around this is to go get a linksys router and use the "clone MAC address" function... you usually don't have to type squat:

1: plug router into cable modem
2: plug computer into router, use web admin interface
3: "clone this MAC address button" -> clickie
4: make sure that inet now works
5: plug xbox into router
6: pwn n00bz