PDA

View Full Version : J9o loose call. Gets worse from there. Learn me oh wise ones.

Saint_D
08-17-2005, 01:31 AM
CO is loose passive. BB is loose aggressive. He doesn't need much from the flop to find a reason to bet and cap.

Party Poker 1.00/2.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(9 handed)</font> link (http://www.darksun.lunarpages.com/poker/)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (3.50 SB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, CO folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.25 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 9.25 BB.

brazilio
08-17-2005, 01:37 AM
If he really is LAG, then I'm capping the flop and possibly raising that blank turn depending on how bad he is. You already know how bad that limp is, if you're going to play that, at least raise it to try to isolate the shitty open limper. In this case it won't work anyway since the BB is loose and aggressive, but getting at least the SB out would be an improvement from really shitty to just a lot of suck.

tiltaholic
08-17-2005, 01:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
CO is loose passive. BB is loose aggressive. He doesn't need much from the flop to find a reason to bet and cap.

Party Poker 1.00/2.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(9 handed)</font> link (http://www.darksun.lunarpages.com/poker/)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (3.50 SB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, CO folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (7.25 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 9.25 BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

if he's a lag/crazy then i think the hand is fine.

marginal hands are uneasy. try to imagine a situation in which you will be profitable but only win the pot once every nine times. then think what it will feel like to lose the first 8, and win the ninth. profitable yes. uncomfortable yes.

adsman
08-17-2005, 02:07 AM
Based on your read I think it's good. Raising preflop isn't going to force him out, and you've already got the button, so the limp is fine. Plus he could easily turn around and 3 bet you, which would be fairly uncomfortable with J9o.

Aaron W.
08-17-2005, 02:09 AM
You already know what you need to know... "J9o loose call."

hemstock
08-17-2005, 02:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Based on your read I think it's good. Raising preflop isn't going to force him out, and you've already got the button, so the limp is fine. Plus he could easily turn around and 3 bet you, which would be fairly uncomfortable with J9o.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's the idea. Getting reraised with J9 would be really uncomfortable.

Eeegah
08-17-2005, 02:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

marginal hands are uneasy. try to imagine a situation in which you will be profitable but only win the pot once every nine times. then think what it will feel like to lose the first 8, and win the ninth. profitable yes. uncomfortable yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

But are we going to win enough that one time to make up for the other 8? Barring our flopping a monster or straight draw, we see here what can happen if we hit a J high flop--it's not at all unlikely that we're outkicked.

If we're not outkicked and still have top pair, then we're looking at a J high (or even 9 high) board that's likely to have missed everyone, flush draws excluded. These folks probably aren't too happy here and aren't going to want to stick around. If they do, then quite a bit of the deck becomes a scare card for us.

Maybe I'm just looking at J9o the wrong way, but it feels like we're winning small pots and losing bigger ones, barring again the occasional monster (which nearly any other playable hand has a better chance of flopping).

Saint_D
08-17-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But are we going to win enough that one time to make up for the other 8? Barring our flopping a monster or straight draw, we see here what can happen if we hit a J high flop--it's not at all unlikely that we're outkicked.

If we're not outkicked and still have top pair, then we're looking at a J high (or even 9 high) board that's likely to have missed everyone, flush draws excluded. These folks probably aren't too happy here and aren't going to want to stick around. If they do, then quite a bit of the deck becomes a scare card for us.

Maybe I'm just looking at J9o the wrong way, but it feels like we're winning small pots and losing bigger ones, barring again the occasional monster (which nearly any other playable hand has a better chance of flopping).

[/ QUOTE ]

Eeegah, you are exactly right about J9 in general. However with very tight SB, a Tight Passive on my right and a Loose (35) aggressive in the BB I felt like this hand was worth seeing the flop for one.

Except the 6 on the river, this went as well as it could have. My J9 was were by far the best hole cards in the round. BB bet to the turn with a 86o. Stupid 2 outer hitting on the river.

deception5
08-17-2005, 01:16 PM
I think you played it fine.

tiltaholic
08-17-2005, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hey, let me clarify.
i wasn't refering to the pf call, which OP has already described as loose. i fold pf.
i was referring to the rest of the hand (postflop) given our read and holding.

sorry for the confusion.

2+2 Junkie
08-17-2005, 01:20 PM
grunching.
I am weak so I would have done the following:
Fold preflop
When he 3-bets and leads the turn, I am done.