PDA

View Full Version : Drink help.

iMsoLucky0
08-17-2005, 01:28 AM
Since I turned 21 I have been ordering drinks when I go out with my wife or friends. I only know of so many drinks to get though. I order LITs, Bloody mary's, beer, and that's about it. I'm not much for the taste of hard liquor, but I would like some ideas for other manly "cocktails" or drinks I can order at dinner/a bar.

redrooski24
08-17-2005, 01:33 AM
Jack and coke. Gimlets are also tasty and get you drunktastic.

Mat Sklansky
08-17-2005, 01:35 AM
old fashioned
chopin vodka on the rocks
scotch and soda until you acquire a taste
I think the lynchburg lemonade is not too womanly
tom/vodka collins or tonic

toddw8
08-17-2005, 01:36 AM
Gin & Tonic

battschr
08-17-2005, 01:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Gin & Tonic

[/ QUOTE ]

MrTrik
08-17-2005, 02:03 AM
Screwdriver. Just vodka and OJ.

joecash
08-17-2005, 02:06 AM
dirty martini

Brainwalter
08-17-2005, 02:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Gin & Tonic

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

cbfair
08-17-2005, 02:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Gin & Tonic

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can never go wrong with a G&T. But if some lazy bartender tries to give you one without a lime, kick 'em in the nuts.

Run the lime wedge over the edge of the glass and behold the wonder. Then order another and make it a double.

Apathy
08-17-2005, 02:16 AM
I prefer vodka tonic to gin tonic. It's a nice summer drink.

Although I prefer vodka everything.

I would reccomend tring all different things until you find out what you like. Some random idea's:

Black Russian

Creamy crispy crunch (martini or shot)

Broken down golf cart (shot)

Or what i usually drink, vodka tonic, vodka cran, vodka blue gatorade (no hangover), vodka straight up, vodka...well you get the idea.

Apathy
08-17-2005, 02:18 AM
Another good idea, when ordering drinks you feel you can get creative with, add grenadine, especially with run and coke etc.

Mat Sklansky
08-17-2005, 02:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not much for the taste of hard liquor, but I would like some ideas for other manly "cocktails" or drinks I can order at dinner/a bar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Grenadine?

cbfair
08-17-2005, 02:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Another good idea, when ordering drinks you feel you can get creative with, add grenadine, especially with run and coke etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good call. Reminds me of an old summer favorite, the tequila sunrise.

yum, yum

Apathy
08-17-2005, 02:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not much for the taste of hard liquor, but I would like some ideas for other manly "cocktails" or drinks I can order at dinner/a bar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Grenadine?

[/ QUOTE ]

I may have the spelling wrong but it is red syrup type stuff that you add (not in too large amounts) to drinks to make them sweeter and taste better. (Non-Alcoholic).

It really helps me stay awake if I find myself falling asleep at a bar. Can't beat the sugar and caffeine combo of grenadine and coke.

Brainwalter
08-17-2005, 02:43 AM
You missed the point.

Mat Sklansky
08-17-2005, 02:45 AM
I know grenadine and there's nothing wrong with it. But to a new drinker wishing to appear "manly", it may not be the best choice. I also want to add the manhattan to my list of recommendations.

DrPublo
08-17-2005, 02:45 AM
I think Mat's point was that grenadine is not a manly addition to a drink.

FWIW I like vodka & tonic or a good manhattan.

The Doc

08-17-2005, 02:46 AM
You are 21 and married? That's pretty crazy man.
But if it's drinks - jack and coke. You cannot go wrong with this.

ViolentGandhi

Apathy
08-17-2005, 02:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know grenadine and there's nothing wrong with it. But to a new drinker wishing to appear "manly", it may not be the best choice. I also want to add the manhattan to my list of recommendations.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's 21 and married you're fighting for a lost cause here. Agree on the manhatten choice.

<font color="white"> Jk of course jordan </font> /images/graemlins/grin.gif

iMsoLucky0
08-17-2005, 02:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What is in "the manhattan?"

Edge34
08-17-2005, 02:52 AM
I survived on Captain and Coke when I was in Vegas. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Also, a good margarita, NOT a frozen, slushy girly margarita, is excellent.

Edge34
08-17-2005, 02:53 AM
Ingredients:
3/4 oz Sweet Vermouth
2 1/2 oz Blended Bourbon
dash Angostura bitters
2 or 3 Ice cubes
1 Maraschino cherry
1 twist of Orange peel
Mixing instructions:
Combine the vermouth, whiskey, bitters and ice in a mixing glass. Stir gently, don't bruise the spirits and cloud the drink. Place the cherry in a chilled cocktail glass and strain the whiskey mixture over the cherry. Rub the cut edge of the orange peel over the rim of the glass and twist it over the drink to release the oils but don't drop it in.

from webtender.com

Brainwalter
08-17-2005, 02:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

* 3/4 oz Sweet Vermouth
* 2 1/2 oz Blended Bourbon
* dash Angostura bitters
* 2 or 3 Ice cubes
* 1 Maraschino cherry
* 1 twist of Orange peel

Brainwalter
08-17-2005, 02:54 AM
You beat me.

Edge34
08-17-2005, 02:55 AM
Well played, however. I love that website when I'm looking for something new. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

TripleH68
08-17-2005, 02:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect drink. There is nowhere for the evil spirits to hide.

cbfair
08-17-2005, 03:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Gimlets are also tasty and get you drunktastic.

[/ QUOTE ]

no truer words have been spoken. I prefer a gin gimlet myself but it all comes down to personal preference.

This is my kind of thread. I could talk about liquor all day.

nothumb
08-17-2005, 03:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
old fashioned
scotch and soda until you acquire a taste
I think the lynchburg lemonade is not too womanly
tom/vodka collins or tonic

[/ QUOTE ]

VNH with the Old Fashioned.

I generally don't order mixed drinks but if you want to do so, try a Jameson and Ginger Ale.

NT

Edge34
08-17-2005, 03:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Gimlets are also tasty and get you drunktastic.

[/ QUOTE ]

no truer words have been spoken. I prefer a gin gimlet myself but it all comes down to personal preference.

This is my kind of thread. I could talk about liquor all day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say there should be a liquor forum too since all we do is separate things anymore (it seems)...but then imagine how far off OOT would fall without its daily beer thread.

IHateKeithSmart
08-17-2005, 03:28 AM
moscow mule = vodka and ginger beer

nice drink

ethan
08-17-2005, 05:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

* 3/4 oz Sweet Vermouth
* 2 1/2 oz Blended Bourbon
* dash Angostura bitters
* 2 or 3 Ice cubes
* 1 Maraschino cherry
* 1 twist of Orange peel

[/ QUOTE ]
You can also make a Manhattan with dry vermouth, or a 50/50 mix of the sweet (aka Rosso) and dry. To get the 50/50 variety order your Manhattan "perfect". (Your bartender should know what what this means, but it's not guaranteed.) I also tend to skip the orange peel, and go pretty heavy on the bitters.

I'm not sure why the recipe calls for blended bourbon. Knob Creek is my standard bourbon for this drink, but try a bunch of different ones and see what works for you.

Another good whiskey drink is the Horse's Neck - 2oz or so bourbon over ice in a tumbler, add lemon peel, and fill with ginger ale. The tricky part in this drink is the lemon peel. (You only want the yellow zest, not the white pith.) Ideally, you peel the entire lemon in a single spiral and line the entire glass with it. It takes practice to get this right, but if you do the drink gets gradually more lemon-flavored as you go through it. (The peeling's easier and safer with a very sharp knife.) If you're not looking to put in that much effort, a simple slice of zest will still be a noticeable improvement over plain bourbon+ginger ale (which is good, just not as good).

You might consider getting a book or two about cocktails. I'd recommend Dale Degroff's The Craft of the Cocktail (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0609608754/qid=1124269047/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-2857921-7586228?v=glance&amp;s=books&amp;n=507846) and Charles Schumann's American Bar (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1558598537/qid=1124269098/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-2857921-7586228?v=glance&amp;s=books).

stretch22
08-17-2005, 05:33 AM
I'm a waitress at the White Bear Yacht Club in MN. Tonight I was the drink girl for the Michican Tech Hockey coaches and what i gathered was some sort of advisory board made up of old players, the point being that there was a lot of chest hair, big cocks etc etc: a room full of real men. They ordered the following drinks: kettle one martini on the rocks with an olive, captain and coke, captain and diet, brandi manhattan, coors light, amstel, vodka tonic, budweiser, bass. No pinot grigio. No cosmo.

codewarrior
08-17-2005, 06:48 AM
...with bitters. You must have the bitters.

mackthefork
08-17-2005, 07:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Gin &amp; Tonic

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, if you are a middle aged woman.

Mack

ChipWrecked
08-17-2005, 07:37 AM
I don't understand why so many people insist on trashing fine Tennessee whiskey like Jack Daniel's by dumping Coke in it. Ugh. Just use any old well bourbon for that. Jack is made to be savored.

The once and future king
08-17-2005, 07:45 AM
In the UK you couldnt get a more girly drink than Jack and coke.

DrunkHamster
08-17-2005, 08:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

jakethebake
08-17-2005, 08:25 AM
Colorado Bulldog.

Yeti
08-17-2005, 08:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this the second time you've posted this? Which is obviously wrong anyway. Where do you live, the Orkneys?

RunDownHouse
08-17-2005, 09:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why so many people insist on trashing fine Tennessee whiskey like Jack Daniel's by dumping Coke in it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because Jack is hardly any better than Beam?

If I'm drinking whiskey rocks, there's no way I'm doing it with Jack. That's not even the best whiskey to come out of Tullahoma.

jakethebake
08-17-2005, 09:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Because Jack is hardly any better than Beam?

If I'm drinking whiskey rocks, there's no way I'm doing it with Jack. That's not even the best whiskey to come out of Tullahoma.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's drinkable, better than Beam, but yea, nowhere near what I'd choose. I still won't go pouring Coke in it though.

JimGil
08-17-2005, 09:07 AM
I like Canadian Whiskey instead of bourban in manhattens - Seagrams VO is what I use.

astroglide
08-17-2005, 11:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Okay, if you are a middle aged woman

[/ QUOTE ]

you're way wrong here

sfer
08-17-2005, 11:23 AM
Gimlets, gin and tonics, negronis and the infrequent kir is really all you need aside from good quality straight booze.

JayLear
08-17-2005, 11:23 AM
I'm pretty much a straight beer guy. But as far as hard liquor is concerned, I've always recognized Jameson and Crown Royal as "manly" booze.

jakethebake
08-17-2005, 11:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Okay, if you are a middle aged woman

[/ QUOTE ]

you're way wrong here

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I can't stand them, but G&amp;T is hardly a middle aged woman's drink. Gimlets on the other hand...

touchfaith
08-17-2005, 11:44 AM
Cosmo

LetYouDown
08-17-2005, 11:58 AM
When it comes to whiskey/bourbon, Jack is about the last thing I'd order.

Jameson is fantastic.
Woodford Reserve is solid, but a bit on the sweet side.
Knob Creek is similar to Woodford.

I'm more of a scotch guy, but it's definitely a taste you acquire. Johnny Walker Blue Label is about the best scotch I've ever tasted...highly recommended if you have the bankroll for it. Other than that, stick to single malt and you're generally ok.

Vodka is disgusting/feminine and should be eschewed after your high school days.

RacersEdge
08-17-2005, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Vodka is disgusting/feminine and should be eschewed after your high school days.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a few million Russians who would disagree.

RunDownHouse
08-17-2005, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There's a few million Russians who would disagree.

[/ QUOTE ]
Since the Russians have such a great track record of making good decisions.

jakethebake
08-17-2005, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When it comes to whiskey/bourbon, Jack is about the last thing I'd order.

Jameson is fantastic.
Woodford Reserve is solid, but a bit on the sweet side.
Knob Creek is similar to Woodford.

I'm more of a scotch guy, but it's definitely a taste you acquire. Johnny Walker Blue Label is about the best scotch I've ever tasted...highly recommended if you have the bankroll for it. Other than that, stick to single malt and you're generally ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a bourbon guy. I can't stand scotch or Canadian whiskey. Irish whiskey is drinkable but mostly for sentimental reasons. I really like knob creek. Also I like the small batch stuff that Wild Turkey or Jack Daniels makes considerably more than their standard stuff. Woodford is good. Blanton's is very good.

It's interesting that several of the reasonable small batch bourbons are made by Jim Beam, whose regular stuff is atrocious.

I bought some small batch stuff called Old Rip Van Winkle for my dad recently that he really liked, and he's pretty picky. He'll only drink bourbon and only with a splash or room temp water..."bourbon &amp; branch". And I've seen him send back drinks several times.

Ser William
08-17-2005, 12:14 PM
If you don't mind sourish type drinks, get a Whiskey Sour.

morgan180
08-17-2005, 12:19 PM
grey goose and soda
vodka cranberry (cape cod)
vodka grapfruit (greyhound)

don't drink anything that:

- needs a straw
- has an umbrella
- has big pieces of fruit hanging off of it

to make friends with a bartender never order:

- blended margartia
- any kind of daquiri
- anything requiring the blender
- anything requiring lots of time/labor like a mojito (unless you're in a cuban bar)
- anything requiring floated liquor
- more than 2 martinis

Gandor
08-17-2005, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
don't drink anything that:

- needs a straw
- has an umbrella
- has big pieces of fruit hanging off of it

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the problems I have with Borgota drinks. They put fruit in everything. I've had to start telling them to forget the fruit.

Drew16
08-18-2005, 12:45 AM
White Russian

MrMon
08-18-2005, 01:13 AM
Try a "real" margarita, not that crap that made out of margarita mixer.

2 parts good tequila (I prefer gold, some like silver)
1 part Cointreau (Shoot anyone who tries to substitute triple sec)
1 part fresh lime juice

Serve on the rocks, salt or no salt.

Goes down amazing smooth. Warning - If you drink it like a regular Mexican restaurant margarita, you're face will fall off in about 15 minutes. They are incredibly powerful. Good drink to get the unsuspecting drunk.

Jules22
08-18-2005, 01:28 AM
i like bulldozers (shot of jagermeister dropped in red bull)

The Yugoslavian
08-18-2005, 01:35 AM
Red Bull and Vodka....

Duh.

What do you think Gigabet drinks?

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yugoslav