PDA

View Full Version : Brewsters Millions

rusty JEDI
08-17-2005, 12:47 AM
First allow me to say excellent movie.

Secondly, did the show miss an obvious way to dump the money, and how would you do it?

rJ

touchfaith
08-17-2005, 12:49 AM
Need that list of things he could only spend certain amounts on and an adjustment for inflation.

Dynasty
08-17-2005, 12:50 AM
I haven't seen this one in a while.

Similar to the stamp idea, he could have bought rare coins and spent them.

rusty JEDI
08-17-2005, 12:53 AM
I dont remember the restrictions.

rJ

Fnord
08-17-2005, 01:17 AM
No assets.
Nothing above market price.

rusty JEDI
08-17-2005, 01:26 AM
There were some other things, like a certain % on charity was okay and stuff like that.

rJ

JTrout
08-17-2005, 01:40 AM
Simple. Buy 1,000 cars. Drive them off the lot. Sell them.

(or just hire MC Hammer to be your financial advisor)

jokerthief
08-17-2005, 01:51 AM
He could have blown it all in the mayoral campaign. You could spend an infinite amount of money on a political campaign. The other thing would be to throw huge parties for a month. For example, rent out Shea Stadium and invite 10,000 people. Hand out $1000 cigars to everyone, have loads of caviar, neverending bottles of Dom Perion, the largest firework show the world has ever seen, hire stunt jet pilots to do a show, rent the goodyear blimp, ect.

Steel Aces
08-17-2005, 02:07 AM
Yeah, that sounds like a GREAT movie... /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Spaded
08-17-2005, 03:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hand out $1000 cigars to everyone

[/ QUOTE ]

Charity

Spaded
08-17-2005, 03:06 AM
A good thing to do would be to buy a very large florida mansion. The mansion cannot be taken away from you no matter what. Look at OJ simpson, he's broke and still owns a mansion in florida. I wouldn't be surprised if michael jackson decided to do the same.

___SK___
08-17-2005, 04:47 AM
I love your avatar, i work at MS and just sent it to everyone, and if i get fired its all your fault

ddollevoet
08-17-2005, 01:13 PM
I'd buy a ticket into space. That would cost some $$$$.

imported_The Vibesman
08-17-2005, 01:16 PM
Prostitutes.

jedi
08-17-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A good thing to do would be to buy a very large florida mansion. The mansion cannot be taken away from you no matter what. Look at OJ simpson, he's broke and still owns a mansion in florida. I wouldn't be surprised if michael jackson decided to do the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't that void the challenge? It's been a while since I've seen the movie, but I thought he had to have nothing but the shirt on his back when it all ended?

morgan180
08-17-2005, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't that void the challenge? It's been a while since I've seen the movie, but I thought he had to have nothing but the shirt on his back when it all ended?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes it would have. he simply could have offered john candy all the $$ for a bj and it would have been done with.

imported_The Vibesman
08-17-2005, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yes it would have. he simply could have offered john candy all the $$ for a bj and it would have been done with.

[/ QUOTE ]

He had to get full value for whatever he bought. I don't think a BJ from John Candy is worth $30 mil no matter how good and sloppy it might be.

drewjustdrew
08-17-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Market value for a John Candy bj was $10 million? He must have been awesome at it.

Sponger15SB
08-17-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Secondly, did the show miss an obvious way to dump the money

[/ QUOTE ]

The movie didn't "miss" any obvious way to dump the money, they did it in a way to make an entertaining movie.

It wouldn't have been much fun to buy a $30,000,000 painting and then light a cigar with it...

AndysDaddy
08-17-2005, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't work. Unless he could complete his trip before the end of the month. A ticket to space (worth between ten and one hundred million right now, I believe) would be considered an asset. Quite a considerable one.
--
Scott

AndysDaddy
08-17-2005, 02:01 PM
Several "illegal" methods already posited:
- Buy expensive (thing), destroy it - expresly prohibited
- Throw lavish parties - Could be considered giving assets away (limited by a specific clause). Note that he did give several lavish parties, probably within the limits.
- Give away $1,000 cigars (already mentioned)
- Over pay for consumables (like BJs) (already mentioned)

Suggestions that just wouldn't work
- Buy new cars, sell them legitimately as used - That's a lot of used cars, and you'd have to repeat this exercise a lot as the sales would still generate significant monies.
- Buy mansion, screw the contest, keep the mansion - Are you aware that the prize for success was $300 million?
- Prostitutes - Ouch! I don't think I'd have that kind of stamina!

My favorites:
- Buy expensive, rare coins and stamps, use them for their originally intended purpose. As noted, this was done in the movie, with success.
- Invest poorly. This was attempted in the movie, but failed spectacularly. I think he gave up on the idea too easily. (I know - its a movie!)
- Run for a highly coveted public office. I agree - he could have dumped the entire 30 mil here fairly easily.
--
Scott

imported_The Vibesman
08-17-2005, 02:03 PM
BTW, this story is so old that I believe this was actually the seventh motion picture based on it.

wayabvpar
08-17-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Run for a highly coveted public office. I agree - he could have dumped the entire 30 mil here fairly easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

Been awhile since I have seen this, but didn't he do this with the "None of the above" campaign? Or was that a different movie?

AndysDaddy
08-17-2005, 02:15 PM
Yup - that was it. In fact, his campaign was so successful it looked like he may win the election, which by the rules would have counted as an asset (the salary, I assume?). So he withdrew.
--
Scott

Brainwalter
08-17-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't work. Unless he could complete his trip before the end of the month. A ticket to space (worth between ten and one hundred million right now, I believe) would be considered an asset. Quite a considerable one.
--
Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

Um once he uses the ticket it's no longer an asset.

AndysDaddy
08-17-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
--
Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

Um once he uses the ticket it's no longer an asset.

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess you missed the part where I said "Unless he could complete his trip before the end of the month.". He had thirty days to spend all the money, and he had to be asset free at that time. AFAIK, there are no space flights available on just thirty days notice.
--
Scott