PDA

View Full Version : NL vs. Limit vs. Tournament players

08-17-2005, 12:27 AM
Okay so here's a completely indeterminable and wholly subjective question that is particularly susceptible to personal bias: who makes the most money/has the highest income potential? Assuming a player of exactly equal high level of skill, bankroll, mental state, et all, does playing NL, Limit, or Tournaments have the greatest potential?

wheelz
08-17-2005, 12:30 AM
tournament players really shouldn't even be an option

erby
08-17-2005, 12:37 AM
are you asking who makes the most money, or who has the highest potential to make the money? Is there some bounds on how realistic this potential must be?

ERBY /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Alex/Mugaaz
08-17-2005, 01:29 AM
There used to be a lack of big enough NL games online, but that really isn't a problem anymore. They are so close now that there really is no difference in earning potential.

08-17-2005, 02:50 PM
Why not the tournament players? There are pros who play nothing but big tourneys, right? And I _know_ i've seen a lot of the cash game guys say they hardly ever play tournaments because they are convinced they will make more money in ring games. I want to know what everyone thinks, all else being equal, which path has the highest potential hourly rate. Obviously there is no real way to know this but I think it would be interesting to discuss why people would think one had more potential than the others.

Python49
08-17-2005, 03:57 PM
sweet a poll where everyone can vote for whatever game they play

TStoneMBD
08-17-2005, 03:59 PM
tournaments have the most potential as a win can net you 7 mill in the big one. however, they probably have the lowest EV out of all other options. its widely accepted that cash games are the most profitable games.

i am a mainly a limit player, however its been debated on these forums recently that nolimit players have stronger money-making potential than limit players do. i tend to agree with this.

PokerCat69
08-17-2005, 04:52 PM
I think tournament play is a valid choice to make money in poker.

A high stakes online tournament player will likely 4-8 table the 200+15 SNGs for a couple hours then enter the daily 150-250K multi-table tournys.

Weatherhead03
08-17-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
tournaments have the most potential as a win can net you 7 mill in the big one.

[/ QUOTE ]

No player who plays ring games could make nearly this much if they played it 60 hours a week. So making tournaments the highest potential. But at the sametime limit and no-limit have a more steady income and no where near the amount of varience.

smb394
08-17-2005, 04:58 PM
This poll/thread sucks.

yvesaint
08-17-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sweet a poll where everyone can vote for whatever game they play

[/ QUOTE ]

Piers
08-17-2005, 06:10 PM
Looked, could not find the Pot limit option.