PDA

View Full Version : in the big blind with 88 at 5-10 6max

Anders
08-16-2005, 10:11 PM
Ugh. After I played this hand my immediate reaction was thinking that I misplayed it and probably on most streets. What should I have done here?

Party Poker (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>. Button raises, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB bets, Hero raises, Button 3-bets, SB folds, Hero caps, Button calls.

Turn: (7.5BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets, button calls.

River: (9.5BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets, button calls.

Final Pot: 11.3BB

I'm not sure at all about this. I feel sometimes like I LAG it up too much...

ArturiusX
08-16-2005, 10:13 PM
Since the SB is out of the hand, I consider just calling the 3-bet and calling down.

Anders
08-16-2005, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Since the SB is out of the hand, I consider just calling the 3-bet and calling down.

[/ QUOTE ]

At that point in time I was very skeptical that he had much of a hand, and was planning on leading the turn to see how he would respond to that.

Now I'm thinking that this is a situation similar to what's mentioned in 'Inside the Poker Mind' (I think) regarding trying to gain information when said information wouldn't change your action at all. If he raised the turn I'd probably be forced to call down anyway? Ugh, this hand has me mixed up.

odawg09090
08-16-2005, 10:23 PM
Nice hand there. I didn't put you on that. Nice hand with the QQ too. Just not my day today.

Anders
08-16-2005, 10:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nice hand there. I didn't put you on that. Nice hand with the QQ too. Just not my day today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh dude, those were both ugly. The QQ hand was lucky, but at least I didn't feel sick after it like this one. Thanks...I've run pretty g00t the past couple weeks, heh /images/graemlins/blush.gif

aslowjoe
08-16-2005, 10:42 PM
I would check call the turn and river.

On the river it would be hard to believe a worse hand would actually call but a worse hand might bet if checked to.

Anders
08-16-2005, 10:57 PM
Hero shows [ 8d, 8c ] a pair of eights.
Button doesn't show [ Kc, 7d ] a pair of sevens.
Hero wins $113 from the main pot with a pair of eights.

Yeah, I don't know if my bet on the river was +EV. At the time I was really hoping for a fold and when button called I was very sure I was beaten. Hmm.

Surfbullet
08-16-2005, 11:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hero shows [ 8d, 8c ] a pair of eights.
Button doesn't show [ Kc, 7d ] a pair of sevens.
Hero wins $113 from the main pot with a pair of eights.

Yeah, I don't know if my bet on the river was +EV. At the time I was really hoping for a fold and when button called I was very sure I was beaten. Hmm.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are not folding a better hand here after this action. If you are betting, it is for value from a flopped lower pair or lower PP.

Also, I raise this preflop, especially if button raises more in position. Since your hand is underrepresented on the flop (villain will expect it to be nearly any pair, sometimes a draw) I like the flop cap.

Surf

mdeck
08-17-2005, 01:23 AM
Easy 3bet preflop if the button is aggressive, IMO.

Anders
08-17-2005, 04:22 PM
Yep, I was close to 3-betting preflop but decided to just call because I didn't have much of a read on Button yet - just that he was a good, aggressive player and I'd be out of position against him. I would have 3-bet if the small blind hadn't called, though.

mcvalenc
08-17-2005, 05:26 PM
88's too good to not 3bet the button raise preflop. Good hand otherwise.

wackjob
08-17-2005, 05:31 PM
Like the others said, 3bet preflop is standard here. Lead ANY flop.

jba
08-17-2005, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yep, I was close to 3-betting preflop but decided to just call because I didn't have much of a read on Button yet - just that he was a good, aggressive player and I'd be out of position against him. I would have 3-bet if the small blind hadn't called, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

that seems backwards to me.

well what I mean is, the small blind calling makes me more inclined to raise.

Anders
08-17-2005, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that seems backwards to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hm, can you elaborate?

Digs
08-17-2005, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm raising when the SB folds, not sure about when he calls. I'm probably wrong tho /images/graemlins/laugh.gif