PDA

View Full Version : Betting 1/2 your stack instead of allin scares the opponent more?

AA suited
08-16-2005, 09:56 PM
I play the $55 SnGs and started moving into the $109s.

at the 55's, if you have <8BB, it's push or fold.

in the 109's, i see players betting 4BB and calling an all-in for their other 4BB. or calling/going all-in no matter what flops.

Is there a psychological reason why betting 1/2 your stack knowing that you will go all-in works better than going all-in in the 1st place? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

poker-penguin
08-17-2005, 01:00 AM
This is the stop n go.

Check out the SNG forum for more details, but basically you're hoping to see a flop for 4bb and then push with about a half pot bet to give the impression you hit the flop or had a monster anyway.

Basically, it makes it tougher for the opponent to call. You're committing all your chips preflop without your opponent knowing it.

AA suited
08-17-2005, 12:54 PM
hehe... i play SnG's exclusively.

a stop n go is calling a bet, then being the 1st to go allin no matter what flops. (ie: sb/bb)

by betting out 4bb, you're not going to be the 1st bettor on the flop.

is there a psych advantage vs opponents by betting 1/2 your stack, knowing you're calling/pushing allin no matter what flops?

poker-penguin
08-17-2005, 01:47 PM
OK, it's not a stop n go /images/graemlins/blush.gif (well except in my world /images/graemlins/wink.gif)

I do use this tactic quite a bit though, since the levels I play (up to 33 Sng or MTT), people will call 4BB with a lot less than an allin and then fold the flop if they miss.

I still think it works by giving the opponent another chance to consider if their hand is still worth playing. They can't be sure you didn't hit.

coffeecrazy1
08-17-2005, 02:15 PM
What y'all said is valid to a point, but I think the real answer to the OP's original question is that the all-in looks more like a bluff than an actual bet. Most people are inclined to trap when they hit a monster and pressure the other player when they don't.

It's a classic strong when weak, weak when strong situation. Personally, I like to be 3/4 - 7/8 of the pot size as much as possible, because I find that it is a rather vague amount to bet...but that's me(although Harrington says to do the same thing).

Jeebus
08-17-2005, 07:01 PM
as the poster above me said, its about the strong means weak, weak means strong.
Big bets that are way out of line with the pot normally say "DON'T CALL ME!!!!" which most players won't without close to the nuts. On the other hand little bets say "My hand isn't that great, if I bet this it won't cost me too much" when in fact you are probably being taken for a ride.

So preflop you put in 4 or so BB and most people don't realize that is half your stack. They call with medium hands and then you push on them. Now they have to think a)you got a monster preflop and just trapped them or b)that flop just hit you perfect. In fact neither are probably true.

Autocratic
08-17-2005, 08:37 PM
Let's say you have 8BB left and get dealt A10 offsuit. You're certainly pushing, but who is calling 8BB preflop without something that beats it? Bet half of that, and your opponent may think (though it's not entirely rational) "it's not that much, if I hit the flop I'll send him home." Of course, you're going to be all in no matter what the flop, but some people will lay down a hand like KJ if it seems like it'll cost them too much preflop. The move basically assumes that your opponent is not to crafty, though.

miajag81
08-17-2005, 10:54 PM
One way to sum it up is that it gives your opponent two chances to fold rather than just one.

bryantodom5
08-17-2005, 11:19 PM
However, sometimes when you only have 8 BB, you dont want callers, you only want to steal the blinds....By betting 1/2 your stack, you are invinting acllers, where pushing might scare them and give you the pot right there. The psychologhy of betting half your stack is telling your opponent, you ahve a monster, are prepared to push all your chips in b/c you have pot committed yourself, and would love to have a caller. A push tells your opponents you may have a monster, but would rathernot have callers.

08-17-2005, 11:52 PM
The psychology of that play really depends on the player you are facing.. Assuming you are known as a good player, to an amateur/weak player, "all-in" is more intimidating and indicates great strength.. to the good player, he would be really suspicious of only betting 1/2.. Similar to how small bets or raises (giving pot odds to the player) is more of a "danger" sign to good players than a big all-in move