PDA

View Full Version : Some unconventional ways to identify loosing players

Soh
03-30-2003, 10:19 AM
From my limited experience playing poker, I found out that some loosing players do something that winning players don't do. (By the way, just because people don't do the followings does NOT mean they are winning players.)

*When they peek cards, they don't bend but lift up, so that the cards are perpendicular to the table.

*Thier favorite hand is NOT AA.

*They stack less than 20 chips per stack.

*When they raise, they say "I raise."

*They wear poker cap/clothe (there might be some exception to this rule.)

Soh

Jimbo
03-30-2003, 03:48 PM
Interesting observations though kind of fancy for me. I always use the tried and true method;
1)If they have less money than they started with they are losers.
2)If they do this consistently they are losers with an outside source of income.
3)If they believe they can tell how I play by how I hold my cards, my attire or by verbal cues such as "I raise", they are, well inexperienced and likely to be losers for at least a short while longer. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Mike Gallo
03-30-2003, 04:48 PM
Do you mean loose players or losing players /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Michael

Michael Davis
03-30-2003, 05:12 PM
I expect it was hypocrisy and not irony that led you to misspell "mispell" in your criticism.

-Mike

Mike Gallo
03-30-2003, 05:14 PM

TimTimSalabim
03-30-2003, 07:17 PM

TimTimSalabim
03-30-2003, 07:26 PM
I always say "I raise" just because I've gotten my raise disqualified so many times by all of the rules (not putting the chips in in one motion, putting in a larger chip denomination, etc.). I don't think there are too many players who are going to be able to decipher my voice intonations. There are lots of good players who talk constantly.

TimTimSalabim
03-30-2003, 07:35 PM
My favorite hand is dependent on the game. In a reasonably tight game, AA is the best. But in a very loose 10-handed game, there are other hands that have a higher EV (JTs for example). Oops, I brought up the dreaded JTs discussion again, sorry. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Ulysses
03-30-2003, 07:50 PM
OK, let's see how I do...

*When they peek cards, they don't bend but lift up, so that the cards are perpendicular to the table.

I bend, phew. Not a loser so far.

*Thier favorite hand is NOT AA.

My favorite hand is AA. Yes!

*They stack less than 20 chips per stack.

I usually stack 20 per stack. But sometimes I stack randomly and have stacks less than 20. But usually 20. Still looking good.

*They wear poker cap/clothe (there might be some exception to this rule.)

Dammit. Sometimes I wear a cap. Danger.

*When they raise, they say "I raise."

OK, I'm definitely a losing player. I often say "I raise" when I raise. Sometimes I say "2-bet" or "3-bet." Sometimes I say "Two" or "Three." Or "Re-raise." Or "Again." Or "Boom-boom-boom." Or "Make it three." But usually, "You raised ME? You must be insane. RAISE!"

olemissgolf
03-30-2003, 10:46 PM
1. When everyone at the table cheers, "NORM!" (or another name) when the player arrives.

2. When they try to pick up every cocktail waitress in the room. And tip $5 for a beer.

3. When they consistently don't protect their cards.

Michael Davis
03-30-2003, 11:40 PM
I haven't taken the time to figure it out, but the following is true: Assuming 10 hands go to showdown, AA wins 31% of the time, whereas JTs wins only 16%. I know it is still theoretically possible for JTs to have a better EV here, but I think the odds are stacked quite heavily against it being true. AA is a remarkably strong hand. JTs is a non-starter.

-Mike

TimTimSalabim
03-30-2003, 11:46 PM
Well, it's a controversial topic. As you point out, it is theoretically possible for AA to win many more pots and still have a lower EV. The reason, of course, is because you're going to fold JTs when the flop misses it, whereas you're going all the way to the river with AA unless you have a good reason not to.

Perhaps someone can post some simulation results to settle it, but I do believe that given a loose enough game, JTs has a higher EV.

mikelow
03-30-2003, 11:53 PM
Since I'm a lo(o)sing poker player, my habits have included:

1. Looking at the first card as it's dealt.
2. I always stack 20 chips per stack.
3. In 4-8 chip games, raising by shoving a stack less four chips.
4. Moaning about bad cards.
5. Many others.

Ulysses
03-30-2003, 11:59 PM
OK, mike, here are some things I often do...

Look at my two cards as soon as I get them.
Tip the dealer more than $1.
Have a few drinks at the table.
Fumble around trying to get the right number of chips out.
Watch sports instead of focusing on the game.

I'm sure I'll think of plenty more "non-winning" traits I have.

Soh
03-31-2003, 01:54 AM
Yeah, I ment to say losing players.
My excuse is when I thought about this post, I was thinking loose bad players, loose players, loose, loose...

By the way. the other thing that I believe is they are very superstitious.

Soh

mike l.
03-31-2003, 03:51 AM
the way i identify a losing player is if i see someone sitting at a table in a cardroom playing hold em i assume they are a losing player. im nearly always correct.

Kevin J
03-31-2003, 09:46 AM
But in a very loose 10-handed game, there are other hands that have a higher EV (JTs for example).

There is no hand with a higher EV than AA. Regardless of the game.

03-31-2003, 10:24 AM
If this is one of your impressions of a losing player I'd love to see you in my table when the regulars cheer my arrival.

David
03-31-2003, 01:09 PM
I would say that this is the most reliable way to determine a losing player. About 90% correct without ever seeing them play a hand.