PDA

View Full Version : some stuff...

bernie
03-30-2003, 05:36 AM
been reading masons 'poker essays'

yknow, just when i think i got a decent handle on my thought process, ol' mason comes up and bats me in the head with some of the essays in this book. as if to say, 'Oh yeah? think so do ya? well, chew on THIS for awhile'

for instance...

how the difference between say, 30-60 and 100-200 winners isnt knowlege, per se, but thought processing speed. i never thought of it that way. but it does make sense. ex. plan ahead!!! which reminded me of the advice in HPFAP about close decisions between calling and folding. when it's close, pick one fast. you can replay the hand later. this helps get you in the habit of quick decisions.

i agree with a little nugget in there about game selection being of utmost importance once youve gained some skill.
though many underrate this skill.

another great question he poses, in regards to the complexities of the game is how you would play the flop after flopping top pair Jacks in an early position.

this question alone, depending on how you answer it and the reasoning you use, may tell what level of playing youre on at the moment. especially if you think it's an easy, run of the mill question.

i also got a great laugh out of the guy who is the poster boy for a fancy play syndrome. he turns a FH, shows one card to a possible folder who then figures his hand, and correctly calls when he was going to fold. which wouldve been a mistake had he seen the guys cards. and ends up sucking out on him. and as mason stated, it wasnt a bad beat. not all fancy plays have to do with betting. some can be just idiocy.

many have already read all the essays, but im finally getting around to it. so far, i really like it. any book that makes one think about their game is worth it. and this one is makin my noggin zap and spark a little

tszzzzzzzzt!

b