PDA

View Full Version : Last hand of the night...

Falcon1511
08-16-2005, 06:53 PM
This was the last hand of the night at a weekly home game I play in. It is a $20 dollar no limit cash game, there are about 4 regulars, myself included, and we try to get another couple hard players and some fish to play every week.

There are two important people in this hand, one is a professional poker player, likes to take a lot of flops, if I had to compare him to someone in the poker world it would be Danial Negranu. The other player of concern is one of the four people that plays every week, we will call him Steve. Steve is probably the best of the four of us. He is exactly in the middle of tightness and looseness, no one would ever call him a tight player, nor would he be called a loose player either. He is also very aggressive.

I am in the cutoff, and this is the last hand of the night. The pro calls in first position, the next two players fold, Steve raises it to 3 dollars. I have A-10 suited and I want to see a flop with it, I also know that Steve can raise with just about any two cards. I call 3, the dealer calls, both blinds call, and the pro calls as well. There is $18 in the pot.

Flop Comes 10-7-5 rainbow. It is checked to the pre-flop raiser, Steve, who bets $10 into the pot.

What is the right play here, I have top pair with the best kicker. However there are 4 people behind me, one of them being a pro. I don't think I can just call the bet, I would've had about $30 left after I put in the 10 dollar bet, so I if I moved all in I could about double the pot. No one would be getting odds to draw at it.

My thoughts while playing the hand were that Steve was just as likely to make that $10 bet with an over pair as well as with overcards.

What's the correct play???

ryanghall
08-16-2005, 07:06 PM
See why calling raises w/ ATs isn't very fun?

Ryan

Salerosa
08-16-2005, 08:13 PM
Professional poker players frequent a 20 dollar buy-in home game?

pokerjoker
08-16-2005, 09:57 PM
i think pro has begun to include means making $5 hr playing 2 tables on $25 NL party.

jcmack13
08-17-2005, 12:19 PM
I'm guessing based on the tone of your post that this is what happened:

You raised all-in right then and there, got called by the 'pro' or steve, and got shown, oh, let's say queens. You don't improve and go broke on the last hand of the night.

Raising here is better than calling, but you don't have a deep enough stack to get away from the hand. After you called PF, I don't think there's any getting away from this hand.

That's poker.