PDA

View Full Version : Tricky A7 calldown.

Jeff W
08-16-2005, 06:45 PM
SB is a typical player. 27/10/1.4 w/ 4.5% checkraise frequency.

UTG was very loose(40ish VPIP). Pre flop limp is debateable. BB is a very passive player w/ pfr=4%.

Party Poker Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Jeff is MP2 with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Jeff calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, Jeff calls, SB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Jeff checks.

Turn: (4 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Jeff bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, Jeff calls.

River: (8 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Jeff calls.

Dave5511
08-16-2005, 06:52 PM
Well, getting 9:1 on the river, so we have to call there, right?

I'm just not sure about the call on the turn. You said the SB was your typical player. By "typical" I think straight forward and uncreative. These aren't the guys I think will check-raise bluff.

I think I would have had to let this go on the turn.

Nick C
08-16-2005, 07:10 PM
All right, I'll give this a try.

SB completed before the preflop raise and didn't have to call a flop bet, so his range could be pretty wide here.

SB's turn checkraise could be an isolation attempt and could also be a semibluff. Sure, the pot is sort of protected, but no one's shown any postflop interest yet, and there's no reason to expect them to call two cold. Also, if you had a flush draw on the flop, you probably would have bet it, so he's not too worried about that. If one of BB's big cards (it seems like that might be what he has) is a diamond, well, then he's probably not folding, but maybe SB isn't that concerned about this, since he has the A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

It's possible I'm overthinking this, and I don't think I'd call down at 3/6. (I'm so unaccustomed to a flop getting checked throough after a preflop raise, though, that I don't know.)

In any event, I'm thinking that at the limit where this hand took place, the calldown was probably a good idea.

BWebb
08-16-2005, 07:23 PM
I'm having a tough time putting SB on a hand. I don't see him checking twice with a real hand in this spot. The checkraise knocking out the other opponents also screams weak hand. IMO, this looks like a move. He seems an okay player and has probably played with you before. He knows you aren't checking a Q or flush draw when checked to on the flop, so he probably thinks you are making a move for the pot. I'd call down.

toss
08-16-2005, 08:54 PM
I think its better if you raise PF and try to get it HU with the bad player. I think SB will CR the turn with a worse pair and a onecard flushdraw fairly often. It is a tricky calldown, but I usually find your lines to be right.

ArturiusX
08-16-2005, 11:11 PM
I don't really like the pf limp, much prefer a raise.