PDA

View Full Version : I have a tilt problem.

partygirluk
08-16-2005, 06:36 PM
I don't go on tilt because of bad beats, but every now and then I will just play really loose and aggressive and bad - losing poker. Sometimes I just think "[censored] it" and play in such a way that I am guaranteed to lose my buy in before too long. I dont know why I do it. I do it at stakes which will hurt me (although not terribly). I don't know why I do it. I am not pisspoor but the money means a lot to me - I want to save up to buy myself a property, go travelling, buy a car etc. Yet sometimes, like tonight I just throw my money away. I don't know what sets it off. I sat down tonight intending to play top notch poker. The past few days I haven't played great. I think it might be because I get all too comfortable, I am comfortably bankrolled for my level, up a nice amount overall, perhaps part of me just doesn't give a [censored]? Dunno. But throwing away money like this is a sin - if I fancy losing $1,000 I should give it to The Red Cross not some internet poker player. I think I am gonna withdraw a chunk of my bankroll and step down a level to teach myself a lesson. Just seems like the right thing to do.

Jacob_Gilliam
08-16-2005, 06:47 PM
Maybe you should take a break for awhile....

roundhouse
08-16-2005, 07:14 PM
Take up kickboxing. Every time you feel the tilt coming... shut down your PC, book a one-on-one training session and get yourself a damn good workout. Clears the head a treat. I can recomend a good gym in London.

RH

partygirluk
08-16-2005, 07:20 PM
I used to kickbox actually. Which gym do you recommend? I live in NW London.

TStoneMBD
08-16-2005, 09:21 PM
this sounds like it could be a sign of burnout. you may not have a problem putting in the hours but you may have a problem caring. i recommend taking a break for while as the previous poster mentioned.

mike4bmp
08-17-2005, 12:08 AM
Please don't take this personally...but doesn't this sound like behavior a compulsive gambler would portray?

roundhouse
08-17-2005, 06:08 PM
SpringHealth (http://www.springhealth.co.uk/) in north London (location (http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=529903&y=184970&z=1&sv=529750,184750& st=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf)). Been going there since it started 5+ years or so (though I don't get there more often than once a week these days).

You should check it out. PM me if you want any more details. Maybe see you there.

RH

Jeebus
08-17-2005, 06:50 PM
I think it is caused by impatience and confidence (at least it is for me). Sometimes I sit down and just can't bring myself to wait for any hands. I know I can play very well post flop so I just decide to go balls to the wall and play 50 or 60 percent of my hands. I think this has worked for me once when I managed to hit an ungodly number of flops perfect. Other than that I get my ass handed to me. I have finally started to learn and when I feel it coming I switch to play money or turn on a video game and play cards later.

LuvDemNutz
08-17-2005, 06:59 PM
I get like this when I've been playing too much so....

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you should take a break for awhile....

[/ QUOTE ]

TTChamp
08-17-2005, 08:13 PM
I have an identical problem. I have a full time job that pays me pretty well so poker is mostly recreation for me, but I am not so wealthy that the money is meaningless. I will play 10-15 hours per week and slowly build my bankroll. Then one night for no apparent reason I'll just go totally loose aggressive and lose weeks worth of money in a night. The worst part is that no matter what happens I am glued to the game. It has happened to me 3 times. Everytime I have stepped down a limit and built my roll back up. I have used the following strategies and have avoided a "melt-down" for several months now. Hope this helps you.

1. If you feel a melt down coming on, go to a sit and go tournament and play a game that is not your specialty. I normally play low limit HE, so I will go and play a 20+2 SNG in no limit HE. The amount of money you can lose is fixed in the tourny and since you are playing an unfamiliar game, you will have to focus so hard that you will forget you are on tilt.

2. Go play a game you are unfamiliar with at a very low limit. I will play 7 card stud at .5/1 when I feel a melt down coming on. My lack of confidence in the game stems the tide of loose aggressiveness, and at a very low limit I don't lose much cash.

3. By using 1 and 2 above I no longer feel glued to the game. Once I get away I don't go back for 2-3 days. During this time, brag to a few people about the size of your bankroll so that you feel accountable not to blow it all. Also, use this time to review starting hand criteria and take some starting hand quizzes.

4. When you get to a level where you start to feel very comfortable with your bankroll either move up and challenge yourself or withdraw some money. I know that most of these serious players dosn't like to take money out, but those of us that are doing this for fun and a little extra cash need the threat of busting to keep our edge.