PDA

View Full Version : Poker Related questions

12-14-2001, 04:46 PM
1)In general,

Has online poker 1)Hurt or 2)helped "live" poker?

2)Would the poker of someone like Sklansky (not him personally, but his knowledge) be closest to:

a)High school drop out

b)two year community college diploma

c)B.A from a "B" university/college

d)a masters degree in hard science

e)a phd in chemistry from a school like MIT.

f)a certificate of completion in standard first aid

3)If, due to an unavoidable extreme emergency, you had to place your eight year old child in the care of a stranger, with the only knowledge of them being their profession, in what order would you choose the stranger:

A)Doctor

B)pro poker player

C)plumber

D)used car salesman

4)As a poker player, if you knew for the rest of your life you would break exactly even, would you still play poker? Would you still study it?

5)Besides poker, if you could choose one other beatable gambling game(blackjack, sports, video poker, horseracing, etc) to master, what would it be?

6)If you were given 2000 dollars, and free room and board for six months, do you personally believe that you could become self sufficient, due merely to the income from poker?

12-14-2001, 06:03 PM
3)If, due to an unavoidable extreme emergency, you had to place your eight year old child in the care of a stranger, with the only knowledge of them being their profession, in what order would you choose the stranger:

A)Doctor

B)pro poker player

C)plumber

D)used car salesman

B. My dad is a plumber. Doctors are over-worked, B stands a good chance of being a drug addict, and D spend his whole day lying.

natedogg

12-14-2001, 06:06 PM
1. Helped. It has introduced more (losing) players to the game.

2. E) Sklansky is probably a 3SD outlier or more IQ wise, has come up with many new ideas, and teaches this to others. He has studied poker for many years.

3. C, A, B, D. The plumber is hard-working and probably has a family. The doctor can deal with medical issues better than the rest, but is likely to be too busy/disinterested to do a good job in basic caretaking. The used car salesman may or may not be shady, but I chose him over the poker player because poker players are often free spirits without children and wouldn't know how to take care of a child. Poker players are interesting people, but they normally do not live "safe" or "well planned" lifestyles.

4. No, i would flip a coin.

5. blackjack

6. Yes, but I probably would not make as much as I would if I were doing other things.

12-14-2001, 06:15 PM
1)In general,

Has online poker 1)Hurt or 2)helped "live" poker?

Helped.

2)Would the poker of someone like Sklansky (not him personally, but his knowledge) be closest to:

a)High school drop out

b)two year community college diploma

c)B.A from a "B" university/college

d)a masters degree in hard science

e)a phd in chemistry from a school like MIT.

f)a certificate of completion in standard first aid

What?

A)Doctor

B)pro poker player

C)plumber

D)used car salesman

B

4)As a poker player, if you knew for the rest of your life you would break exactly even, would you still play poker? Would you still study it?

I would still play. But if I knew I was going to break even and there was no way I could improve I wouldnt study.

5)Besides poker, if you could choose one other beatable gambling game(blackjack, sports, video poker, horseracing, etc) to master, what would it be? Horseracing

6)If you were given 2000 dollars, and free room and board for six months, do you personally believe that you could become self sufficient, due merely to the income from poker?

Probably not. Its pretty easy to blow a $2k stake simply due to bad luck. give me $5k-6k and I'd like my chance alot better.

12-14-2001, 06:46 PM
1. 2

2. e ph.d.

3. a m.d.

4. yes yes

5. sports betting

6. no, not likely anyway