PDA

View Full Version : Annoying 10/20 party hand, Too weak or good fold?

Jonny
08-16-2005, 06:18 PM
I've never seen this villain before, nor is he in my DB. So unfortunatly no read on this guy, as its the first hand I've ever played with him.

Villian has 2K to start the hand, I cover.

I am in the SB with AT of diamonds. Villian posts in the CO.
guy in MP folds, villain makes it 60 to go. I call and its heads up to the flop: Ac Tc 7d. I check, he bets 138, I raise to 300, he makes it 462. I call.

Reasoning here was to setup a c/r on turn.

Turn is the Kc. I check, he bets 350, I call and plan to reevaluate the river.

River is 7h. I check and fold to his push for ~1200.

Plan was to c/r the turn big, but the Kc came, which was a horrible card in more ways than 1. I think folding to the turn bet would be a bit weak, no? What's everyone's feeling on the flop play?

captZEEbo1
08-16-2005, 07:05 PM
Make a big 4-bet on the flop, probably around 1100 or 1200.

Jonny
08-16-2005, 09:07 PM
In retrospect, I think that would have been a better play. Thing is I put him on AK/AQ, and wanted him to think he was in the lead. Then the turn came and spoiled my plans.

Rococo
08-16-2005, 09:42 PM
If Villain has AK, he appears to have made a commitment decision on the flop, so you might as well get most or all of it in on the flop.

You put yourself in a great position to make a mistake here. You may have folded a winner. Who knows?

captZEEbo1
08-16-2005, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In retrospect, I think that would have been a better play. Thing is I put him on AK/AQ, and wanted him to think he was in the lead. Then the turn came and spoiled my plans.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doubt he folds AK, he'll just put you on the draw and call.

Jason Strasser
08-17-2005, 10:30 AM
People will fold AK here depending on your table image. This gamd is not always donktown.

Jonny
08-17-2005, 11:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Doubt he folds AK, he'll just put you on the draw and call.

[/ QUOTE ]

My image is agressive, but not maniacal. Anyone with a draw would call his min reraise getting such a good price, not reraise to 1100. I just think this lets him off an good ace too easily.

I would be folding AK everytime there if 4-bet.

Jonny
08-17-2005, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
People will fold AK here depending on your table image. This gamd is not always donktown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Strassa, what would be your plan after he 3-bets the flop? I was thinking c/r all in on the turn, until the K came...

Jason Strasser
08-17-2005, 11:52 AM
I probably check call the turn and block the river. But if you cant be comfortable with betting about 400-500 on the river and folding for 700 more, which is often wrong against a certain type of player here, then I think you should lead the turn and fold to a raise. I dunno I just think that calling down is not right because that type of flop action does not suggest a draw in my experience. You are either up against a better hand, or someone is overvaluing a hand like AQ or AJ. There is the chance villain flopped a worse two pair, and also a chance he may just call you down if you lead turn.

Its a fairly tough spot.
-Jason

Jonny
08-17-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I probably check call the turn and block the river. You are either up against a better hand, or someone is overvaluing a hand like AQ or AJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was considering a block on the river, but figured the only way he would call is if I was beat, so that is basically throwing away $500 to win nothing (unless of course he makes a dubious call with AJ/AQ). On the other hand, he may check behind with AJ/AQ/AK on the river given that the flush is out. I just didn't really see any hands that I beat calling the river.

Jason Strasser
08-17-2005, 06:06 PM
A block also usually prevents your opponent from bluffing. I also think if most look for 3-4:1 with a nut one pair hand you will get calls.