PDA

View Full Version : Flopped a gutshot, turned flush draw from the SB

Aves
08-16-2005, 06:07 PM
This is from a hand I saw someone else play, and was wondering if the hand could've been played better.

Game #686435194: Texas Hold'em Limit ($1/$2) - 2005/07/19 - 16:25:14 (ET)
Table "Ana" Seat 1 is the button.
Seat 1: chetwyn ($6.84 in chips)
Seat 2: A.o.S. ($49 in chips)
Seat 3: Ystad ($69.63 in chips)
Seat 4: Sanfour ($44 in chips)
Seat 5: chfc1 ($56 in chips)
Seat 6: Gizzzzzzz ($18.25 in chips)
A.o.S.: posts small blind $0.50
Ystad: posts big blind $1
----- HOLE CARDS -----
dealt to A.o.S. [Ts Ks]
Sanfour: calls $1
chfc1: calls $1
Gizzzzzzz: calls $1
chetwyn: calls $1
A.o.S.: calls $0.50
Ystad: checks
----- FLOP ----- [Qs 9d 2d]
A.o.S.: checks
Ystad: bets $1
Sanfour: folds
chfc1: calls $1
Gizzzzzzz: calls $1
chetwyn: folds
A.o.S.: calls $1
----- TURN ----- [Qs 9d 2d][2s]
Ystad: bets $2
chfc1: calls $2
Gizzzzzzz: calls $2
A.o.S.: calls $2
----- RIVER ----- [Qs 9d 2d 2s][7h]
Ystad: bets $2
chfc1: folds
Gizzzzzzz: folds
A.o.S.: folds
Returned uncalled bets $2 to Ystad
Ystad: doesn't show hand
Ystad collected $17.25 from Main pot

It looks like a typical loose/passive table. I think the flop check/call was ok. My suggestion for the turn, however, was to lead out and try and represent trips since Hero is in the SB. Also, with the turned flush draw, he was probly gonna call a bet anyway, so why not just bet it. I doubt the bettor is strong enough to raise since he didn't raise preflop. If he does, then we still got plenty of outs. A raise might even clean up our King outs. On the river, we can check/fold unimproved.

My main question is if the bettor just calls our bet on the turn, what should we do on a blank river? Is there a reasonable chance the bettor was betting a straight draw or flush draw so a bet on the river might make him fold? Or should hero just check and fold to a bet?

callmedonnie
08-16-2005, 06:11 PM
I don't see much wrong with this. Leading the turn and representing trips doesn't look like it is going to move anyone anywhere on this table. If you flopped gutshot w/ flush draw I'd lead then, but here I'd be happy just to see cheap card. Your King might be an out too. With all the overcallers it is going to be quite profitable when you hit.

08-17-2005, 10:42 AM
I don't think the check/call is okay on the flop. If the K overcard is good, she has a 5-outer (2 non-diamond kings + 3 non-diamond jacks). But I wouldn't really count on the K fully here, so discounting to 4 total outs, this is a fold. It's not a very safe flop for her, as it's still possible that a flush hits after she makes her straight or weak top pair.

I think the rest of the streets are okay.

sy_or_bust
08-17-2005, 10:49 AM
This is technically HUSH, not Small Stakes.

Closing the action on the flop is OK.

Leading out the turn would be terrible. Nobody is giving you credit for trips, and you want a cheap river. You can usually checkraise the river when you hit.