PDA

View Full Version : A thought about limits, choking and gamboooooling.

Acesover8s
03-30-2003, 01:03 AM
I have noticed in my play lately that the limits I'm playing at affect the way I play. I consider myself a knowledgable player, especially when it comes to theory. So, theoretically I should understand that in the context of the game the value of a big blind in 6-12 is no different than in 20-40.

I have found that 10-20 is my comfort limit in limit games, and 1-2 in PL/NL games. Anything higher than that and I tighten up like a rock, anything lower and my chips get smeared across the table.

Had a spare hour last night and sat 4-8 in a live game, I found myself limping UTG with Q8s, rationalizing that I could outplay these morons after the flop. Then last week playing 15-30 I mucked AJs on the button for a single raise in a 6 way pot.

Playing online PLO my flop percent for .10-.25 is about 70%, and for 2-4 is about 17%.

Anybody else have this extreme of a problem? Anybody solve this problem for themselves?

Thanks,

Jimbo
03-30-2003, 02:00 AM
I'll just comment on this statement "Playing online PLO my flop percent for .10-.25 is about 70%, and for 2-4 is about 17%.

In my opinion this is close to correct. Perhaps not the exact percentages but you should certainly be able to see a lot more flops in the .10/.25 blind game compare to the 2/4.

SoBeDude
03-31-2003, 10:33 PM
Should the limits specify the tightness?

I'm not sure I agree.

Tightness/looseness should be made by the play at the table, not made by assumptions about the players based on the color of the chips.

Just my thoughts.

-Scott

Jimbo
04-01-2003, 12:39 AM
Scott this is pot limit not limit poker. The percentage of blinds in relation to each other makes a small difference but the major difference is skill matters a great deal more. If he is comfortable (and capable of winning) at higher limits he should see more flops in the lower limits particularly in the later positions. Nearly any two cards on the button should be played for a limp. He is likely to be one of the better players at the .10/.25 game but not necessaruly so at the 2/4. My advice was aimed specifically at Acesover8s based primarily on the information provided in his post and not for everyone.

Bankroll is vital in P/L and N/L it only makes sense to play differently at different limits based on your competition's skill and relative stack size.

Ballard
04-01-2003, 01:04 AM
Also important to consider that if the ante structure is minute compared to betting in future rounds, it then becomes extremely correct (mandatory in fact) to play many more hands because of the implied odds your getting from the pot. Just a thought.

SoBeDude
04-01-2003, 07:40 PM
Jimbo,

With all due respect, please go back and read the original post again. He is talking about how the limits affect his comfort of play. (both limits and pot limit are specifically mentioned)

And I stand by my initial statements. Play should not be based on the color of the chips, it should be based on the play at the table,

-Scott

Jimbo
04-01-2003, 09:24 PM
Scott with all due respect back at you read my post and see the one sentence I was commenting upon. Stand by your opinion all you like that does not make it correct.

brad
04-02-2003, 03:32 AM
Play should not be based on the color of the chips, but on the character of the game. heh

SoBeDude
04-02-2003, 04:31 PM
ok smart alek,

go back and read your response to my post again.

My post was a reply to the original post. see? its indented from the original.

now your post is indented from my post, hence it is a reply to my post.

in it you say its about no limit. it is not.

it is about both limit and no limit.

so like I said, go back and reread the original post. then read my reply, then reread your response to my reply. you're still wrong.

then apologize.

no more repsect intended.

-Scott

SittingBull
04-02-2003, 04:58 PM
question!
When U are NOT playing within your "comfort zone" then U play "INCORRECTLY"! When U play WITHIN your comfort zone,U play CORRECTLY.
When U move up,U are NOT playing in your comfort zone. Until U achieve a "comfort level" at a higher limit,U should play MOSTLY at your 10-20 comfort level. In order to achieve this "comfort level" at the higher limit,U will need to take some "shots" at that limit ,but play MOSTLY your 10-20 limit where U are comfortable. U will eventually make a smooth "comfort" transition into the higher limit game.
Moving down is resulting in incorrect play because U are probably bored to death. Hence,U tend to push weaker hands than U normally do,
This situation is similar to a player who has only a very limited time to play.
He has another engagment shortly;hence, he tends to play incorrectly because he wants to play more hands before he leaves.
HE IS ON THE "VACATION MENTALITY"--A COMMON POKER "DISEASE".
So playing a lower limit game than u usually do incurs this "disease".
Stay away from the lower limit games altogether--UNLESS U are not winning at your current 10-20 level.
Then U might have to move down.
However,maintain your discipline . Try to play correctly MOST of the time.
Don't acquire this "vacation mentality disease". /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
happy pokering,
/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif SittingBull

Jimbo
04-02-2003, 05:00 PM
Why does your post have my name in the replied to area? A copy below:

Re: A thought about limits, choking and gamboooooling. [re: Jimbo]
03/31/03 08:33 PM

You are so confused Scott, I expect an apology for you being so illiterate.

Here is the entire chain in the thread Scott:

A thought about limits, choking and gamboooooling.
03/29/03 11:03 PM
Re: A thought about limits, choking and gamboooooling. [re: Acesover8s]
03/30/03 12:00 AM
03/31/03 08:33 PM
Re: A thought about limits, choking and gamboooooling. [re: SoBeDude]
03/31/03 10:39 PM
03/31/03 11:04 PM
04/01/03 05:40 PM
Re: A thought about limits, choking and gamboooooling. [re: SoBeDude]