PDA

View Full Version : Review Hand 41: KQo

Dave G.
08-16-2005, 05:05 PM
- - - HAND 41 - - -
PreFlop: MICROPOSTER is UTG+2 with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif (10 Players)
1 fold, MICROPOSTER raises, 4 folds, SB calls, BB calls,

Flop: (6.00 SB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (3 Players)
SB bets, BB folds, MICROPOSTER calls,

Turn: (4.00 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif (2 Players)
SB bets, MICROPOSTER calls,

River: (6.00 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif (2 Players)
SB bets, MICROPOSTER folds,

Final Pot: 6.00 BB

The flop is monotone and we have the K of the suit. I think this flop needs to be raised. If SB doesn't have a flush himself or doesn't have the T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif or better, he has to be worried here. This is the most likely scenario.

If he checks the turn, a free river card is an option but we could just bet the turn to see if he will fold. I'd lean towards a free river since a check-raise really sucks. If he bets the turn, well, it was a nice try.

Edit: There we go.

cold_cash
08-16-2005, 05:10 PM
I agree w/ the flop raise, especially since we've got overcards also.

I would take the free turn card if given the chance.

LoaferGee12
08-16-2005, 05:16 PM
Can you post the actual hand in the thread next time? Makes it easier /images/graemlins/grin.gif

LoaferGee12
08-16-2005, 05:20 PM
I agree with the flop raise to take a free card, not to bet the turn. I think with the 2 overs / flush draw and the combined possibility of a free card, a raise on this flop is very good. However, it is rare that he would be bet/calling this flop, but folding the turn. He will mainly have a pair or a flush draw here and neither of these will fold the turn. We may be ahead of a weak flush draw but most likely if villain is betting a flush draw it's the A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

TripleH68
08-16-2005, 05:52 PM
How aggressive is SB? More importantly how does he play from the blinds? What range would he complete with from SB?

Playing KQ hero's hand has crappy showdown value unimproved. Getting villain to fold may require betting all the way through the river with a busted draw. If villain is aggressive and thinking I don't see him slowing down or folding to the flop raise. So then I think hero may have played this hand fine. Sure you are drawing, but that is just how it goes sometimes.

I don't see many passive players bringing it to you out of the SB vs. a preflop raise.

MrWookie47
08-16-2005, 06:14 PM
Agreed. This looks a lot like the AJ hand I commented on earlier, except that a turn call the way hero played it is obviously mandatory.

08-17-2005, 05:22 PM
This was a tough hand.

Raising for the free card was tempting but I really hated the idea of getting 3-bet or donk bet on the turn. If he's betting a flush draw he's likely got the A so I have no showdown value either way. Best case scenario I save 1SB by raising as I don't think raising improves our winning chances much at all.