PDA

View Full Version : Tipping delivery guy

Phoenix1010
08-16-2005, 04:41 PM
Guy just delivered a pretty large desk from Office Max to your door. You have 2 singles, a ten, and a twenty in your wallet. Delivery was free. What do you do?

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-16-2005, 04:42 PM
"Upstairs, please. Thanks. Have a good weekend."

slickpoppa
Give him a buck and ask him to "chop it up"

Wake up CALL
Tip $10.00

08-16-2005, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Guy just delivered a pretty large desk from Office Max to your door. You have 2 singles, a ten, and a twenty in your wallet. Delivery was free. What do you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Was he brown? Was he clean? Ask him to stay and hang out.

citanul
08-16-2005, 04:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tip $10.00

[/ QUOTE ]

DemonDeac
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Was he brown? Was he clean? Ask him to stay and hang out.

[/ QUOTE ]

IS HE CUTE, MIKEY???

haha. well done

btw, [ QUOTE ]
TIP $10.00

[/ QUOTE ]

touchfaith
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd give him the tip, but doubt I'd take it all the way out of my pants.

Brainwalter
08-16-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Weird. It's Tuesday, and he "just delivered it".

touchfaith
08-16-2005, 04:48 PM
Yo guys aren't seriously advocating tipping the guy from Office Max are you?

That's says insecurity on many levels.

Ser William
08-16-2005, 04:51 PM
Was it heavy? Did he get it into the house without hassle and place it where you wanted it? If so, 10 bucks. I live on the second floor of a 2 family house so I routinely tip delivery men 20 bucks. If the desk wasn't that heavy and he merely brought it to the door for you to do the rest of the work, he gets nothing.

Phoenix1010
08-16-2005, 04:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Was it heavy? Did he get it into the house without hassle and place it where you wanted it? If so, 10 bucks. I live on the second floor of a 2 family house so I routinely tip delivery men 20 bucks. If the desk wasn't that heavy and he merely brought it to the door for you to do the rest of the work, he gets nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I live on the first floor of my apartment building, and mine is the first door after the elevator, so getting it to the door was no big hassle. My buzzer isn't working yet though, so I left instructions for the delivery guy to call my cell phone to let me know when it got here so I could open the front door for him. He did that and got the desk in. Yes it was very heavy (this is going to be a pain to put together) but he had a dolly.

Benal
08-16-2005, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wake up CALL
08-16-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In case your reading and comprehension skills are poorly developed then YES , many of us are advocating tipping any hard worker that performs a service in a professional manner.

touchfaith
08-16-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In case your reading and comprehension skills are poorly developed then YES , many of us are advocating tipping any hard worker that performs a service in a professional manner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you tip your tech support at work? Or does hard work = manual labor to you?

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-16-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I work in the service industry and I haven't received a tip yet.

irishpint
08-16-2005, 05:12 PM
after you work a job where you get paid off your tips you starting tipping more. he's a [censored] from office max. he hates his life. give him $10

08-16-2005, 05:14 PM
Arby's, the end.

PITTM
08-16-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

my job sucks, i dont ask for a tip, neither should he.

rj

Iplayragstoo
08-16-2005, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I work in the service industry and I haven't received a tip yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your service must really suck then...well, then again, bathroom attendents really should be more attentive. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

TheCroShow
08-16-2005, 05:37 PM
dang tough situation. how much was the desk? if it was over $100 then yeah i feel comfortable tipping $10

Wake up CALL
08-16-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

my job sucks, i dont ask for a tip, neither should he.

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

The question said nothing about him asking for a tip. It was phrased as would you tip him?

Wake up CALL
08-16-2005, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good question. If a tech support guy came to my house and was able to fix a problem I could not I'd hire him, not tip him.

chesspain
08-16-2005, 05:45 PM
I give him $10.

Scotch78
08-16-2005, 05:46 PM
I prefer to tip manual laborers with a beer or lunch, i.e. I might order a couple pizzas for the guys painting my house. For starters, these are often industries where tipping is not standard and it may insult the person. Second, I don't know about you, but after lugging heavy furniture around or working outside all day in the summer, I'd much rather have a cold beer than a couple bucks.

Scott

TheCroShow
08-16-2005, 05:49 PM
aye, there are certain professions/jobs that society says "we're not going to tip you." do you ever tip your tech support guy? nope. ever tip your auto mechanic? nope. tip the movers? yes, this guy fits into the "movers" category. i could go on and on, but i'll spare you

Scotch78
08-16-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
do you ever tip your tech support guy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. They told me to expect him during a four hour time span and he showed up in the first 20 minutes. He was very friendly, including taking off his shoes without asking or being asked, and explained what he was doing as he did it in plain English. That last part is the kicker because I want to know what's going on but I don't want to pester him with questions.

However, a tech support employee earns enough money that my tip will likely be insulting, so I offered him a beer and a hotpocket.

[ QUOTE ]
ever tip your auto mechanic?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exactly. When my compressor broke, it would've cost over $600 to fix, and I'd bought the car for $1,000. He said that for $300 he could get the car running, but it wouldn't have A/C. After I okay'd his $300 estimate he found a serpentine belt that would achieve the same results for $150. When I picked up my car I made a point of shaking his hand and getting a handful of business cards. It's been less than a month and I've already recommended him twice.

Scott

PITTM
08-16-2005, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Not exactly. When my compressor broke, it would've cost over $600 to fix, and I'd bought the car for $1,000. He said that for $300 he could get the car running, but it wouldn't have A/C. After I okay'd his $300 estimate he found a serpentine belt that would achieve the same results for $150. When I picked up my car I made a point of shaking his hand and getting a handful of business cards. It's been less than a month and I've already recommended him twice.

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

people should do this instead of tip. i think it is a better way to encourage good service. i bought some 400 dollar used speakers at a place in town and they stopped working after 3 months. i took it back and he replaced them for free, needless to say i did the same excited handshake followed by lots of recommendations.

rj

GoblinMason (Craig)
08-16-2005, 06:18 PM
"Upstairs, please. Wanna soda?"

Boris
08-16-2005, 06:20 PM
give'em a 20.