PDA

View Full Version : Hand 1: folding river

APatterson
08-16-2005, 03:30 PM
First post in this group so please excuse any errors (in etiquette and poker). Just looking to improve my game.
I've started playing on FullTilt $1/2 NL.

Hand 1: New to table so no real reads.
SB has been missed due to player sitting out.

CO: Villain ($108.55)
Btn: Hero ($239.35)
BB: ($200)

Dealt to Hero [Qs Kh]
All fold to CO who raises to $6
Hero calls $6
BB calls $4

(I'm thinking, opening raise can be with weaker hands)

*** FLOP *** [2s 3h Qc] Pot $18
BB checks
CO checks
Hero bets $15
BB calls $15
CO raises to $30 (min kR?)
Hero calls $15
BB folds

(not sure what to make of min check-raise here, AQ, KQ, QJ? pocket pair or set?)

*** TURN *** [2s 3h Qc] [9h]
CO checks
Hero checks
?? (I was fearing the check raise)

*** RIVER *** [2s 3h Qc 9h] [Jd]
CO bets $72.55, and is all in
Hero folds

Surely I'm beat here, or does my weakness on turn by checking, induce a bluff? Maybe a turn bet defines my hand better - I can fold to a check-raise.
What would do at this level?

ajmargarine
08-16-2005, 04:01 PM
You have to win this 44% of the time if you call the river to make this slightly +EV. Even though this play really smells bad from villian, I don't think your hand is strong enough or your edge is big enough to make the call. FWIW, I would have played the hand the same way as you did.

djoyce003
08-16-2005, 05:22 PM
This is one of the weirdest hands that have been posted in a while. Villain raises preflop, then checkraises the flop, then checks the turn..wtf is he up to. For the life of me I can't put him on anything other than a really weirdly played AA or KK here...bizaare. I probaby fold that river and hope he shows.

stu-unger
08-16-2005, 05:32 PM
this is wierd wacky wild stuff. i play the hand the same and fold the river. 1 thing though, i don't like calling raises with KQ. too easily dominated, not bad just not my preference.

APatterson
08-16-2005, 05:34 PM
Im glad I'm not the only one who thought this was wierd. I don't know where I was on the turn, or river. I'm afraid I folded and he didn't show.

Do you think a turn bet would have been better? at least I could have a better idea of how good he thought his hand was. If so, how much would you bet here?

APatterson
08-16-2005, 05:42 PM
Point taken stu.
However I thought that KQ on the button was beating enough of his opening raise hands. It was 5 folds to the CO, so this could be a wider range of hands to open here.
I don't call here every time though with KQo.